collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 10:04:08 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Risso
[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:55:30 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:53:19 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 09:47:38 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:46:53 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 09:46:25 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 09:45:15 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Billy McNeill RIP  (Read 7038 times)

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
Re: Billy McNeill RIP
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 05:18:45 PM »
RIP

I think he holds the unfortunate record of having managed two sides in the same season that both got relegated. He left Man City to come to us and both went down.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 05:50:36 PM »
to be  fair he took over a crook of shit to put it mildly.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 06:18:09 PM »
My earliest memory of watching any football on the television was watching Glasgow Celtic beat Inter Milan to win the European Cup in 1967, which huge courage and flair.  The achievements of that team with McNeil as captain should never be underestimated.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2019, 06:31:05 PM »
RIP

I think he holds the unfortunate record of having managed two sides in the same season that both got relegated. He left Man City to come to us and both went down.

I think he was the second manager to relegate two sides in the same season. Manchester City and Villa in 1987. Ron Saunders beat him to that achievement by twelve months when he managed Small Heath and Albion who both went down in 1986. I think it happened three years on the bounce because in 1988 Dave Bassett managed Watford, who were relegated from the first division and Sheffield United who were relegated from the second division.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 06:53:49 PM »
His playing achievements mark him as an all-time great and should be rightly lauded.

The most charitable thing I can say about his time managing in England is that being employed by both Peter Swales and then Doug Ellis would not have been the easiest of gigs. 

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2019, 08:29:55 PM »
His playing achievements mark him as an all-time great and should be rightly lauded.

The most charitable thing I can say about his time managing in England is that being employed by both Peter Swales and then Doug Ellis would not have been the easiest of gigs.

Yes, he drew 2 very short straws there. Bozos both.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2019, 08:44:40 PM »
This may not be the thread for it but I'm too young (I love writing that) to remember his time with us and I've never understood the 'Bingo' thing. If it's not too disrespectful, I'd appreciate an outline. If it is too disrespectful then I'm happy to never know!

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 09:13:22 PM »
It is only recently he had any competition as the worst Villa manager of all time, and I still think he wins it.

Good player in his day.

Offline steamer

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 09:24:07 PM »
My earliest memory of watching any football on the television was watching Glasgow Celtic beat Inter Milan to win the European Cup in 1967, which huge courage and flair.  The achievements of that team with McNeil as captain should never be underestimated.

Me also
I was 11 and watched it on my own as my dad was out.
Did not comprehend the significance of the result listened tonight the commentator say that the winning team al lived within a 20 mile radus of each other and were a real " team" I guess the Pogbas etc of today would understand that concept less than I did as an 11 year old.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 09:34:35 PM »
It is only recently he had any competition as the worst Villa manager of all time, and I still think he wins it.

Good player in his day.

I always thought Graham Turner was more to blame than McNeill. He was dreadful.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2019, 09:35:09 PM »

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2019, 10:03:39 PM »

Good player in his day.

His qualities and achievements as a player and a captain made him rather more than a 'good player in his day.'

Offline Damo70

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2019, 10:09:03 PM »
This may not be the thread for it but I'm too young (I love writing that) to remember his time with us and I've never understood the 'Bingo' thing. If it's not too disrespectful, I'd appreciate an outline. If it is too disrespectful then I'm happy to never know!

The word from the Villa players who played under him was that he used to be rather basic in his tactical talks. Rumour has it that his ream talks consisted of "Do this then do that and then 'Bingo'"! Hence i think some of the first teamers called him 'Billy Bingo'.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2019, 10:47:01 PM »
Just another bloke who's died.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2019, 10:58:07 PM »

The word from the Villa players who played under him was that he used to be rather basic in his tactical talks. Rumour has it that his ream talks consisted of "Do this then do that and then 'Bingo'"! Hence i think some of the first teamers called him 'Billy Bingo'.

Thanks Damo.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal