collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Shambolic Aston Villa vs Smethwick Post-Match Thread  (Read 46160 times)

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
Re: Shambolic Aston Villa vs Smethwick Post-Match Thread
« Reply #240 on: February 17, 2019, 10:59:55 AM »
The most gutless display in a local derby I have ever seen.

I assume you were not at Villa v Blues in 1986. Blues played crap but were still worth their 3-0 win. One fan from the Trinity shouted "Spunk (Nigel Spink) at one end, Semen (David Seaman) at the other, and 20 wankers in between!"

I was at the 4-0 defeat at The Sty in Autumn '68.  Scarred me for life.

You people don't know how good you have it.

Yeah I was there, that was hard to take, but the return fixture was brilliant, 1-0 win with the late Dave Simmons scoring the winner for us. 53,000 were there, I remember the atmosphere was electric.

Offline XXVilla

« Reply #241 on: February 17, 2019, 11:00:07 AM »
I’m at the stage now where I was in our relegation season. Dreading the next game.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #242 on: February 17, 2019, 11:10:02 AM »
It's a case of you get what you paid for,  Hire a mid table Championship manager so is it any surprise that we are going to finish mid table in the championship. The highest a Dean Smith team has finished is mid table when we played HIS team on Wednesday they were 18th but people go on and on as if he created a squad that's fighting for the league title.  I think people need to ignore the fact he's one of our own.  Remember the Bruce Out thread had been created by this point of his reign and this is the worst we've played whilst i've supported Villa.  Cue the it's not worse than our relegation year rubbish replies but remember we were losing / struggling against Premier League squads then we are now struggling again shit Championship squads.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #243 on: February 17, 2019, 11:18:29 AM »
It's a case of you get what you paid for,  Hire a mid table Championship manager so is it any surprise that we are going to finish mid table in the championship. The highest a Dean Smith team has finished is mid table when we played HIS team on Wednesday they were 18th but people go on and on as if he created a squad that's fighting for the league title.  I think people need to ignore the fact he's one of our own.  Remember the Bruce Out thread had been created by this point of his reign and this is the worst we've played whilst i've supported Villa.  Cue the it's not worse than our relegation year rubbish replies but remember we were losing / struggling against Premier League squads then we are now struggling again shit Championship squads.

So do you have any bright ideas about how we might address our protracted decline: or are you just gonna rant on about how shit you think DS is (and those you attest that are apparently blindly supporting him)?

Offline stuart445

« Reply #244 on: February 17, 2019, 11:25:51 AM »

So do you have any bright ideas about how we might address our protracted decline: or are you just gonna rant on about how shit you think DS is (and those you attest that are apparently blindly supporting him)?

Blindly supporting him is spot on,  If any other manager had the current record of Smith there'd my huge uproar (again Bruce Out thread had appeared by now had that run wasn't as bad as this one) I bored of arguing it now because deep down everyone can see it now no matter how some will try and hide it.  When people were screaming for Smith when Bruce was in charge i warned that managing Villa is massively different than managing Brentford.  You have no idea how much I wanted to be proven wrong but at the moment it's not looking like i will be.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #245 on: February 17, 2019, 11:27:27 AM »

Blindly supporting him is spot on,  If any other manager had the current record of Smith there'd my huge uproar (again Bruce Out thread had appeared by now had that run wasn't as bad as this one) I bored of arguing it now because deep down everyone can see it now no matter how some will try and hide it.  When people were screaming for Smith when Bruce was in charge i warned that managing Villa is massively different than managing Brentford.  You have no idea how much I wanted to be proven wrong but at the moment it's not looking like i will be.

If you're bored of arguing about it, then I presume this will be your last post on the matter? I doubt it though.

Offline stuart445

« Reply #246 on: February 17, 2019, 11:29:52 AM »

If you're bored of arguing about it, then I presume this will be your last post on the matter? I doubt it though.

yeah i'm also Bored of watching shit performance after shit performance, I Presume yesterday will be the last?  but i very much doubt it will be

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #247 on: February 17, 2019, 11:32:23 AM »

You’re a wanker. I’m sorry to be so blunt, but you insist on stereotyping a whole swathe of Villa fans just so you can go “I told you so” like some little sixth form bore.

Fuck off.

Online Clampy

« Reply #248 on: February 17, 2019, 11:33:30 AM »
It's like this Stuart. Just because you think something, doesn't mean that everyone else should think the same.  Sorry about that but it's the way it is.

Offline auntiesledd

« Reply #249 on: February 17, 2019, 11:34:46 AM »

Perhaps folk have concluded - albeit painfully - that junking another manager after 5 minutes is not the answer to the plethora of rot in & around the club, which is clear for all to witness? I've no doubt you - like everybody else who supports this brilliant club - want to see us turn things round after several years of misery, but surely calling for yet another manager's head isn't the solution to the complexity of problems?

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #250 on: February 17, 2019, 11:36:50 AM »
"Just a quick observation for those that want Dean Smith to go. When Martin O'Neill was appointed, we went 9 games unbeaten when he started and then won 4 out of the next 22 games. I cannot recall the clamour for O'Neill to go because, back then, even though results were saying to the contrary, people wanted him to succeed and were happy to give him some time.

How times change, eh?"

Online Clampy

« Reply #251 on: February 17, 2019, 11:37:52 AM »
Just because there was a Bruce Out thread, doesn't mean there should be a Smith Out thread. Stuart is acting like a petulant 14 year old who can't get his own way. I think he's going to scream and scream until he is sick.

Offline Chinchilla Bathhouse

• GM : 25.01.2020
« Reply #252 on: February 17, 2019, 11:45:55 AM »
Sorry you're so bored of arguing your point Stuart. Here's an idea: why don't you try reading what other people are actually saying, rather than repeatedly spouting immature bollocks about not being allowed to criticise the manager and the 'Cult of Smith'. Better still, do what Lee suggested at the end of his post. In fact, do it once for each time you've posted the same boring crap, and then a couple more times for luck.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #253 on: February 17, 2019, 12:26:47 PM »
After not having posted since the game yesterday, I thought I'd better put in my pennyworth.
First half, we played reasonably well till the legs went at about 35 minutes. Then, we stopped pressing and gave them the space to attack, which they did.
Second half - after the first 10 minutes - was like a training match, but with no invention and no spark.
The lack of energy and passion suggests to me that there is a swathe of players whose contracts are due to expire or who have been told are going to be offloaded, and they are just not putting in the effort required to compete at this level or who are not prepared to play to the Smith script.

It's as bad as it's been but I do not subscribe to Stuart's assertion that it is all down to the manager. I think we're seeing the 'Houllier factor' where we have a manager wanting to do something very different and a bunch of players who don't fancy it.
The close-season should be fascinating as we offload the dead wood in bucketloads and re-shape the squad completely.

Offline BarryT

« Reply #254 on: February 17, 2019, 12:28:34 PM »
Having got rid of owners, managers and players with no real discernible improvement in the football you can sort of see that this has to be a combinatorial thing of having all the right things in place at the same time - right owners, right manager and right players.

I think maybe having the right owners is the most important followed by the right manager/coaches and then the right players

I hope we have ticked the first two boxes - as bad as it seems I’m hoping that we just need a proper rebuild with the right young players this summer and a good pre-season

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal