collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 04:47:05 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:46:48 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[Today at 04:46:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Bernie
[Today at 04:45:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Bernie
[Today at 04:44:50 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by dubont
[Today at 04:44:30 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by TopDeck113
[Today at 04:41:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 04:41:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Sheffield United Post-Match Thread  (Read 30896 times)

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Aston Villa vs Sheffield United Post-Match Thread
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2019, 10:55:06 PM »
I fuckin love football, me. 3 down, ten to go, and we'd have won it if it weren't for their dastardly time-wasting. Grrrr.

Jedinak. We'd have been better playing with ten, cos he effectively reduced us to nine. Fuck me, he was shit.

Him, Kodjia, Taylor, Hutton, seeing a Villa side with none of them in it can't come quick enough.

I agree with every word except Hutton. I thought he was fine.

Offline CJ

• GM : 12.07.2017
« Reply #121 on: February 08, 2019, 10:56:19 PM »
Wow. An object lesson in why not to leave the game early! There was a fire drill on about 75 minutes, and on 80 I was even thinking of leaving myself, having rarely left a game early before. And then we got 1 - consolation at best, I thought, as up until that went in we'd given new meanings to the words 'inept' and 'pants'. So I stayed. And then followed the craziest last 10 minutes of a game you could ever see, and the Holte went absolutely bananas

Shocking performance for 80 minutes, not going to bother analysing who were our worst players, dreadful officiating yet again, but the end will stay long in the memory

And ironically by staying til the end I beat all the traffic!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #122 on: February 08, 2019, 10:58:16 PM »
I can understand why he picked Jedinak from the start. Sheffield United got plenty of strength and we saw their danger from the early corners.

I know Jedinak is no Xavi/Iniesta with his passing skills but I dread to think of what his pass completion percentage was tonight. Of his first 10 6/7 went to a Sheffield United player and other 3 were overhit and went out of play.

Mind you Hourihane hit some crossfield shockers aswell.

Summer can't come soon enough. You'll probably see about 6 new signings for midfield, we need that much surgery in that area. Again.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #123 on: February 08, 2019, 11:03:06 PM »
Another 6 goal thriller down the Villa but for the vast majority of that game we looked a beaten docket in every area of the pitch, Mings aside.

Our three goals were down to dreadful defensive errors lets be honest but still we always look like we can score, even at our worst.

Delighted for Green, hopefully that gives him a much needed boost of confidence, goal aside he was deperately poor

Agreed with others, Whelan was key to us getting back into it, got a bit of tempo into our play and kicked everything that moved

But there was so much wrong with that display, I dont think we have a prayer of improving to be honest unless Grealish got fit quickly

Kalinic 4 - agility of a man mountain, presence of a cat. horrible habit of parrying the ball back into danger areas too. Steer would have done until end of season
Hutton 6 - tried hard all night but brutal for their third goal, got zero protection in front of him all night hence giving him a slight pass
Elphick 5 - solid for the most part though Sharp's movement caused him problems
Mings 8 - our best player by a long way, physically dominant and tidy with the ball, big danger at attacking set pieces
Taylor 3 - a charlatan, please Smith never pick this guy for Villa again, Hause simply cannot be any worse
El Ghazi 4 - all fart and no shit, in fairness he did keep trying but no evidence of any quality
Hourihane 3 - utterly dreadful, passenger without the ball, woeful with it, standard assist again
Jedinak 2 - I was in favour of bringing him in, absence making the heart grow fonder possibly, as bad an individual display as I can recall. arguably at fault for two goals and thats only a small part of how dreadfully poor he was. Would be in favour of paying him up to be honest as surely his final appearance tonight for us.
McGinn 5 - delicious assist at end but was fairly anonymous that aside and part of a midfield three that were destroyed. Need to play him deeper as its not working with him higher up.
Kodjia 2 - never want to see this character in a Villa shirt again, did not try a leg. Davis on ahead of him for rest of season. We missed a trick not getting rid of him.
Abraham 5 - poor tonight, robbed in possession quite a bit. precious little service until very end.

Whelan 8 - unpopular sub but a real pro tonight. very tidy on ball but more importantly got stuck into everything that moved when he came in. Cant afford for him to be first choice but showed his value tonight.
Green 6 - horror show in truth until brilliant header at end. needs to be on right wing as his left foot is really poor. hopefully can kick on now

Ref 2 - scandalous officiating again at this level

Offline villan from luton

« Reply #124 on: February 08, 2019, 11:03:31 PM »
I fuckin love football, me. 3 down, ten to go, and we'd have won it if it weren't for their dastardly time-wasting. Grrrr.

Jedinak. We'd have been better playing with ten, cos he effectively reduced us to nine. Fuck me, he was shit.

Him, Kodjia, Taylor, Hutton, seeing a Villa side with none of them in it can't come quick enough.

I agree with every word except Hutton. I thought he was fine.

I think the two centre mids were ponderous to say the least. As for the ull backs, they are not ball players, in their defence I will say there was no movement other than Tammy. As for the two wingers, terrible and the one things us old Villa fans is 110% commitment. I don't think that was there

Offline Villa75

« Reply #125 on: February 08, 2019, 11:05:39 PM »
I'm fucking proud of every single one of those players tonight. Yes, things weren't great for 80 minutes, and the officials didn't help with that (to say the least!), but they kept going!

This needs to be used to give us some confidence going forward. That's your job, Mr Smith.

Oh, and John McGinn. Please sign a life long contract 👌and

P.S. Fucking well done Andre Green 👍

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #126 on: February 08, 2019, 11:06:21 PM »
My Mrs got very patronising when they were 3-0 up with 10 to go. Then 'ooh you've got one, see? '
Then 'oh you've got two'.

Then.... Hahahahahaha!

Online KRS

« Reply #127 on: February 08, 2019, 11:08:44 PM »
I don’t blame anyone who left early or after the third...
I never leave early. Even in those 0-4 Spurs and 0-6 Liverpool I stayed till the bitter end  but....but today I left as soon as the clock struck 80th:(
Same. First time ever today and left at 80 mins. Unacceptable performance with exceptions made for Mings, McGinn and Abrahams.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2019, 11:11:46 PM »
And not forgetting a huge congratulations to Tammy on his 20 goal haul. 👏🏼
Peter Withe will not be pleased after his next.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2019, 11:14:17 PM »
We were outplayed for 82 minutes, but it still feels good to snatch a draw from the jaws of defeat.

When Whelan came on I thought WTF?  But he made a difference, and it meant Jedi, who was abysmal, went off. Surely has to be the latter's swansong?

Mings and Elphick look ok as a partnership, but we have shit FBs and a chaotic midfield (SJM excluded).

The officiating was once again questionable at best, and most of the iffy decisions went against us.  But it shouldn't disguise the fact we were torn a new one for most of this game. 

Hard to fathom how it's gone form brilliant attacking football to plodding ponderous, and Bruce-like.

But let's hope this is a turning point and a catalyst for better things.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2019, 11:17:39 PM »
I stuck it out as I always do, so I felt I'd almost earned that comeback just for that, after another appalling display up until the first goal.

I felt elated at the end, but it's tempered by what went on for 80 minutes.

For a change, we did at least throw the kitchen sink at it and although we got a helping hand from their keeper and the defender it paid off.

I was pleased for Green, especially as he'd delivered a couple of wretched crosses previously.

Their second shouldn't have been allowed, but it was a slow motion car crash from Kalinic anyway. How many goals have been attributable to poor keeping this season?

In hindsight, the Whelan switch should've happened earlier and I'm no great fan.  Also, the wingers are just not working whoever we try as they are too easily nullified by opponents that press in midfield.

They were efficient and had more verve than us, but really they are just decent journeymen with a manager who's getting more than the optimum out of them. The least that should be expected, especially at home, is to match them for effort and energy.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #132 on: February 08, 2019, 11:20:14 PM »
Their second was  a disgrace for officials. Sharp was miles offside and then he kicked the ball out of Kalinic's hands...yes both hands.

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #133 on: February 08, 2019, 11:27:20 PM »
Just seen the highlights.Their second goal was as bad a decision as the Sandwell hand of rod goal was. Sharp was offside and then kicked the ball out of Kalinic's hands .Hutton as usual lost his man for the third goal .We certainly should have had at least one pen .Considering how dreadful we were for 82 minutes i am happy to have a point

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #134 on: February 08, 2019, 11:28:01 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal