collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome  (Read 875744 times)

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
Re: Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome
« Reply #2625 on: March 12, 2020, 10:17:14 AM »
Given he is 6 foot 5, I don’t think I’ve seen a centre back in the Premier division this season worse than Tyrone at heading a ball or winning it consistently in the air.

Agree he's regularly beaten in the air by smaller players, and was bullied by the Kosovo centre forward when playing for England.  He gets an easy time from some Villa fans because of his good performances last season,  but this is the PL and for me he hasn't stepped up.  I've been saying for ages he's full of errors, much like the rest of our players, and nowhere near as good as he or some of us like to think he is, and I was surprised at his England call up.

Can say that about Harry maguire , John stones, Michael keane too.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #2626 on: March 12, 2020, 10:31:02 AM »
Stones and Keane are poor/mediocre players, so no great defence of Mings.  I think your comparison to Maguire is way wide of the mark,  he certainly doesn't drop clangers on a regular basis like Mings.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #2627 on: March 12, 2020, 11:34:13 AM »
Stones and Keane are poor/mediocre players, so no great defence of Mings.  I think your comparison to Maguire is way wide of the mark,  he certainly doesn't drop clangers on a regular basis like Mings.
Mings will be alright when he is'nt trying to do three men's jobs (both central defenders plus cover for Target (now known a "Shut the back door, Targett")

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #2628 on: March 12, 2020, 11:40:39 AM »

Specifically then I should say thinking better than he is . Like most of the England defence.
As well as media hyping them.
Maguire has only just starting stepping up again as he's been very poor for what they paid.
Thinks he's some sort of Yorkshire Beckenbauer

Offline supertom

« Reply #2629 on: March 12, 2020, 12:32:38 PM »
The thing with Mings is, he's so ungainly. And it's not sort of to his benefit either. If you remember say, Wanchope, or Kanu, Crouchy I suppose. They look ridiculous, but that always used to give them an advantage in situations. One thing about Mings is whether he stretches unnaturally for a ball, or tries to tackle with the wrong foot and putting his body in a tangled mess of over-extension, or diving in the most unfathomable was toward a ball he could simply punt out or stoop to header (the pen against Leicester). He seems to regularly contrive to either injure himself, or make something that should look physically simple, look like he's been demonically possessed and is trying to fight off a malicious spirit. How many times have you seen Mings go for a last ditch tackle (and I grant you, he is the one there, and he's often the only one who gets close...) and then spend 5 minutes wincing and clutching his hamstring, stretching his calf? He's a fucking nightmare.

But...he's also got everything to be a good player. Again, with headers and things. He does things a lot more awkwardly than he needs to. He tries too hard to cover other peoples jobs and granted in part, it's because he's playing with absolute league 1 quality bilge half the time, but he could simplify his game a lot.

I've always felt Mings, for the game time he's had at his age, is still basically a wet behind the ears kid. He's 27 (tomorrow...) but plays like a 21 year old who's still learning the top flight ropes. He needs an experienced CH next to him. He's not a leader. He shouts a lot but he's dopey. He's daft, he's doing the stupid rash things plays 5 years younger than him in that position make. The difference is, where Konsa and Hause are younger, they're also not good enough. Mings will be good enough, providing he's got someone next to him to tell him (stand the fuck up Tyrone... Go mark him at the corner Tyrone... stop pissing out of position Tyrone...don't dive in Tyrone...calm it down...). There's too much pressure on him to be the guy who would normally have 200 games under his belt, minimum (At the highest level).

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #2630 on: March 12, 2020, 12:39:52 PM »
The thing with Mings is, he's so ungainly. And it's not sort of to his benefit either. If you remember say, Wanchope, or Kanu, Crouchy I suppose. They look ridiculous, but that always used to give them an advantage in situations. One thing about Mings is whether he stretches unnaturally for a ball, or tries to tackle with the wrong foot and putting his body in a tangled mess of over-extension, or diving in the most unfathomable was toward a ball he could simply punt out or stoop to header (the pen against Leicester). He seems to regularly contrive to either injure himself, or make something that should look physically simple, look like he's been demonically possessed and is trying to fight off a malicious spirit. How many times have you seen Mings go for a last ditch tackle (and I grant you, he is the one there, and he's often the only one who gets close...) and then spend 5 minutes wincing and clutching his hamstring, stretching his calf? He's a fucking nightmare.

But...he's also got everything to be a good player. Again, with headers and things. He does things a lot more awkwardly than he needs to. He tries too hard to cover other peoples jobs and granted in part, it's because he's playing with absolute league 1 quality bilge half the time, but he could simplify his game a lot.

I've always felt Mings, for the game time he's had at his age, is still basically a wet behind the ears kid. He's 27 (tomorrow...) but plays like a 21 year old who's still learning the top flight ropes. He needs an experienced CH next to him. He's not a leader. He shouts a lot but he's dopey. He's daft, he's doing the stupid rash things plays 5 years younger than him in that position make. The difference is, where Konsa and Hause are younger, they're also not good enough. Mings will be good enough, providing he's got someone next to him to tell him (stand the fuck up Tyrone... Go mark him at the corner Tyrone... stop pissing out of position Tyrone...don't dive in Tyrone...calm it down...). There's too much pressure on him to be the guy who would normally have 200 games under his belt, minimum (At the highest level).
Close the thread

Offline Luke8

« Reply #2631 on: March 12, 2020, 01:35:37 PM »

I don’t agree with this whole paragraph, but the point about his inexperience is key.

Mings had started less than 80 professional games before this season. For comparison, Erzi Konsa had started nearly 50 games more than that at the same point.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2632 on: March 12, 2020, 01:54:27 PM »
Given he is 6 foot 5, I don’t think I’ve seen a centre back in the Premier division this season worse than Tyrone at heading a ball or winning it consistently in the air.

Correct, he is brutal at actually heading the ball. It barely clears the box. Unable to kick or even turn onto his right foot either (Hourihane has the same limitation). Look he is in horrendous form but there is still a good player in there somewhere.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #2633 on: March 12, 2020, 02:36:46 PM »

It's a shame he didn't come to us early enough to play alongside Terry for a season

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2634 on: March 19, 2020, 11:47:32 PM »
McGinn's reply to this is good: https://twitter.com/OfficialTM_3/status/1240779080322158592

For context, there's a Twitter account by someone who sells merchandise featuring 'artwork' that they have created depicting various footballers if they were in possession of female breasts. I'm not sure why.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2635 on: March 20, 2020, 12:48:21 AM »

Just watching the old season reviews over last week and Ugo was a master at getting inbetween the striker and one of his gangly legs would pinch the ball.

I agree a calm old head alongside Mings would've been good. I'm going to suggest a random name who I've never seen mentioned on here....g**y ca**ll !

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #2636 on: March 20, 2020, 01:25:01 AM »
Just watching the old season reviews over last week and Ugo was a master at getting inbetween the striker and one of his gangly legs would pinch the ball.

Ugo, Southgate and McGrath. Can you imagine what a set of centre halves like that would fetch these days, when a Harry Maguire costs £80m? I had no idea at the time just how lucky I was to be watching them.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 01:27:10 AM by SheffieldVillain »

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2637 on: March 24, 2020, 05:51:45 PM »
Confirmed once again as fucking awesome. This time in Forbes 30 under 30 for his work outside of the game

https://www.forbes.com/30-under-30/2020/europe/sports-games/#5c0aae971bb1

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2638 on: March 24, 2020, 05:56:14 PM »
Confirmed once again as fucking awesome. This time in Forbes 30 under 30 for his work outside of the game

https://www.forbes.com/30-under-30/2020/europe/sports-games/#5c0aae971bb1
Nice; thx for sharing.
£20m is now his reported fee from Bournemouth .... seems to inflate every time someone reports it.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #2639 on: April 17, 2020, 02:07:56 PM »
Tyrone mings bought a piano

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal