collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Holte L2
[Today at 06:16:35 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread  (Read 796249 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: The International Cricket Thread
« Reply #4860 on: February 24, 2021, 04:19:27 PM »
He looked at that very quick - was his foot actually down? I’m not convinced.

Online aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #4861 on: February 24, 2021, 04:29:59 PM »
Well we can happily disagree.

The pitch for the last test was awful - I think this one is nowhere near as bad.

Unless we are able to bat time we will struggle to be competitive in India.

Don't forget both of these are pitches that are facing 10 days of play. The first lasted about 3 before it started doing dodgy stuff and was clearly unfit for purpose by the 2nd test this looks every bit as bad as day 4 of the first test with supposedly 9 days to go on it. My concerns are what will happen over the course of the 2 games based on some dodgy stuff already.

Maybe, but I guess one of the consequences of bubble cricket is playing games at the same venues. And pitches turning on day 1 in India isn't something that should be surprising to anyone.

I would have thought before the series started this was our best chance of a result. As it turns out, we won the toss in the first one and batted very well. The frustrating thing for me today was winning the toss and batting so poorly.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4862 on: February 24, 2021, 04:59:15 PM »

The pitch for the last test was awful - I think this one is nowhere near as bad.

Don't forget both of these are pitches that are facing 10 days of play. The first lasted about 3 before it started doing dodgy stuff and was clearly unfit for purpose by the 2nd test this looks every bit as bad as day 4 of the first test with supposedly 9 days to go on it. My concerns are what will happen over the course of the 2 games based on some dodgy stuff already.

Maybe, but I guess one of the consequences of bubble cricket is playing games at the same venues. And pitches turning on day 1 in India isn't something that should be surprising to anyone.

I would have thought before the series started this was our best chance of a result. As it turns out, we won the toss in the first one and batted very well. The frustrating thing for me today was winning the toss and batting so poorly.

Absolutely, I thought the pitch for the 2nd match was awful but I did understand, this one I really don't, I just don't see how any groundsman could look at this and think it would last for 10 days, that's my complaint, I want to see 2 matches where there's a decent contest between bat and ball and where, for at least some of the time, seamers and spinners can both have a decent impact, this pitch doesn't offer that. I remember a game in WI being called off as dangerous a decade or so back (where Harmison couldn't stand up) and I'm worried this will be every bit as bad as that was by the next match.

I might be wrong and it'll last ok but I'd expect better on day 1.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #4863 on: February 24, 2021, 05:09:10 PM »
Generous of England to be so obliging on the day the dignitaries were there and the world's biggest cricket stadium was opened.

Gave them everything they wanted and more.

Online taylorsworkrate

« Reply #4864 on: February 24, 2021, 06:43:25 PM »

They aren't the same pitches being used for both games at a venue though surely? One is being prepared whilst the other is being used.

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #4865 on: February 24, 2021, 07:09:30 PM »
I never judge a batting performance in a test match until both teams have batted on it.

India batted with grit and placed a value on their wickets, we didn’t.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4866 on: February 24, 2021, 07:42:14 PM »
We were by and large rubbish. What we need to do now is come out tomorrow and basically bowl perfectly and get everything right, and some luck. We need to limit India to no more than a 100 run lead to have any chance.

As an aside I think the third umpiring in this series has been atrocious. The inconsistency today of looking at multiple angles for the Leach review and then barely looking at anything for the catch or the stumping was appalling. It doesn’t matter whether the decisions were out or not, you have to show the same level of diligence for both teams.

Online aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #4867 on: February 24, 2021, 07:49:59 PM »
We were by and large rubbish. What we need to do now is come out tomorrow and basically bowl perfectly and get everything right, and some luck. We need to limit India to no more than a 100 run lead to have any chance.

As an aside I think the third umpiring in this series has been atrocious. The inconsistency today of looking at multiple angles for the Leach review and then barely looking at anything for the catch or the stumping was appalling. It doesn’t matter whether the decisions were out or not, you have to show the same level of diligence for both teams.

Yep that has been poor. The on field umpires have been good though. The worst decision was when poor old Root was given not out (lbw) in the last test (I think).

Offline Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #4868 on: February 24, 2021, 07:55:52 PM »

They aren't the same pitches being used for both games at a venue though surely? One is being prepared whilst the other is being used.
Correct. I’m more concerned about the pitches for the 5x T20’ss at the same venue especially given the importance of those as practice and in Indian conditions relative to the World Cup in October. I’d rather win that than a bilateral test series.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #4869 on: February 24, 2021, 08:13:01 PM »

Correct. I’m more concerned about the pitches for the 5x T20’ss at the same venue especially given the importance of those as practice and in Indian conditions relative to the World Cup in October. I’d rather win that than a bilateral test series.

They didn't at the first venue, that was the same pitch with a few days of care in between.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #4870 on: February 24, 2021, 08:16:50 PM »
I never judge a batting performance in a test match until both teams have batted on it.

They were much better but with a little more luck on our side and marginal umpire call or 2 in our favour they could easily have been 4-5 down for less than 100, in much the same way a bit more luck with the same marginal calls and we could've had 40-50 more on the board. I suspect par on this would've been around 200 and if we bowl to our ability I think we can restrict them to that.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4871 on: February 25, 2021, 10:44:39 AM »
Well, there's a turn up for the books.... Root with a five-for and a lead of 33 looks tricky!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #4872 on: February 25, 2021, 10:46:02 AM »
Unbelievable stuff really.  We're right back in it if we can post a decent score here.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #4873 on: February 25, 2021, 10:48:09 AM »
There you go, restricted them to a lot less, 145 all out.

England need to push for 200ish and I don't think you do that playing defensive on the back foot on this wicket, Crawley and Rohit both played with aggression and are the only 2 batsmen to come out with any credit.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #4874 on: February 25, 2021, 10:50:07 AM »

I'm not so sure India did.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal