collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread  (Read 801003 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: The International Cricket Thread 2019
« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2019, 04:15:03 PM »
How many times does Bairstow get cleaned up and Ali throw away his wicket. Really really poor again from Englands batting wimps.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2019, 05:45:38 PM »
Another poor day in the offing here.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2019, 05:54:57 PM »
Windies are making the wicket look easy to bat on.  Another really solid start for them with the bat, laying the foundations that our lot couldn't.  Just as I write, a wicket for Moeen, more from luck that good bowling though.  Still, we will take it.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #168 on: February 10, 2019, 06:00:57 PM »
2 in 2, massive wickets, the 2nd is a beauty.

Online Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #169 on: February 10, 2019, 06:24:54 PM »
Mark Wood is a great bowler, if he could stay fit he’d be an automatic pick for me. Raw pace on Caribbean pitches is difficult to play.

Another hat trick ball to come.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #170 on: February 10, 2019, 06:45:28 PM »
Where the hell has Mark Wood been?  I hope he can stay fit as him and Ollie Stone could be the replacements for the old boys in Jimmy and Broad.  Makes a mockery of the decision to go with Curran in the first test, unless England thought he needed to get up to the right fitness levels.  We have needed a bowler or two with real pace.   It feels much better now but what a shame the series has already gone.

Online Villan For Life

« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2019, 06:47:38 PM »
It’s ironic really. Wood was called up as replacement for Olly Stone and now has 3-12.

Maybe Stone would have played in this test but conjecture doesn’t win tests. Still 74-5 at tea is good and highlights how we have missed raw pace in the first two tests.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #172 on: February 10, 2019, 07:02:36 PM »
Woods spell before tea is something not seen from an English bowler for a hell of a long time. Bowling at 92-95 mph consistently has to be the aim for him though.

There has been far too many false dawns in terms off fast english bowlers over recent years. (Plunkett, Finn, Wood himself etc)

Offline paul_e

« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2019, 07:11:16 PM »
Curran was the real problem, and I don't think it's his fault. A bowler who gets extravagant swing at 75mph was always going to have a series where it just didn't go for him (I posted pretty much this when he broke through) for him to fulfil his potential and be the bowling all-rounder we really want he needs to get his pace up to 80-85 without losing the ability to swing both ways. It's the same challenge Woakes had.

Eithre way I agree that Wood and Stone should be a big part of the squad going forward and then once Jimmy and Broad drop out we'll need to look for another out and out quick (meaning 3 all rounders in Woakes, Stokes and Curran and 3 tail enders). From what I've seen I expect that new bowler will be Brookes who is quick but also gets extra bounce and gives a different threat.

Online Villan For Life

« Reply #174 on: February 10, 2019, 07:18:41 PM »
Curran was the real problem, and I don't think it's his fault. A bowler who gets extravagant swing at 75mph was always going to have a series where it just didn't go for him (I posted pretty much this when he broke through) for him to fulfil his potential and be the bowling all-rounder we really want he needs to get his pace up to 80-85 without losing the ability to swing both ways. It's the same challenge Woakes had.

Eithre way I agree that Wood and Stone should be a big part of the squad going forward and then once Jimmy and Broad drop out we'll need to look for another out and out quick (meaning 3 all rounders in Woakes, Stokes and Curran and 3 tail enders). From what I've seen I expect that new bowler will be Brookes who is quick but also gets extra bounce and gives a different threat.

Completely agree but I can’t see our batsmen scoring enough runs for a hungry attack with pace to be able to dominate. Unless we win win every toss and ask the opposite bat!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2019, 07:23:11 PM »

Guys bowling swing in the low 80's mph are really useful in English conditions, but struggle away from home.  I do think we need that extra bit of pace as an option when we play away from home.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2019, 07:28:48 PM »

Guys bowling swing in the low 80's mph are really useful in English conditions, but struggle away from home.  I do think we need that extra bit of pace as an option when we play away from home.

If Curran was low 80s I'd be less concerned, that's roughly where Anderson is and he's found a way to be effective all over the world, getting down to mid 70s is the problem. I'm just glad that the inevitable tough series has come now rather than during the ashes.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2019, 08:32:58 PM »

If Curran was low 80s I'd be less concerned, that's roughly where Anderson is and he's found a way to be effective all over the world, getting down to mid 70s is the problem. I'm just glad that the inevitable tough series has come now rather than during the ashes.

I really don't worry about us too much at home Paul.  I think even Anderson doesn't look anywhere near the same threat away from home.  So done like Woakes bowls in the 80's, but again just doesn't really carry too much of a threat away.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2019, 08:36:49 PM »
I said Wood needed a big game and fair play he’s turned up and made a big difference. Real pace.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2019, 08:42:28 PM »
A five wicket haul for Woods, WI all out for 154.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal