collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: James Collins  (Read 16024 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: James Collins
« Reply #90 on: September 28, 2019, 11:37:17 AM »
I’d love to know definitively about the Sid thing. Every time I hear him speak he seems sound enough but the Sid stuff is there in the background. How sure are we about it?

Wasn't it pretty widely reported at the time? We went on a spa break when there wasn't any games, night off and there was slanging match involving him, Delph and Sid and a few of the coaching staff. This was in Houllier season.

Anyway Collins was a decent CB. Could get found out against sides with quick strikers with good movement but brilliant against the hoofball teams. Him and Dunney were rocks in 09/10 for vast majority of the season.

Different times of course judging whether the CBs we had at the time were good enough to get us in the top 4.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #91 on: September 28, 2019, 12:32:35 PM »
Didn't we sign Warnock, Collins and Dunne on deadline day? I think they all made their debuts in a win away to Small Heath. They were all excellent in their first season but didn't do the business for us once MON left. I remember one night game at Villa Park (possibly under McLeish) in which Warnock had a nightmare and was getting pelters from the crowd.

I saw James Collins in Solihull town centre once pushing a kid in a pushchair. Given the allegations I should clarify he was pushing the pushchair and at no point actually pushed the kid.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #92 on: September 28, 2019, 12:35:14 PM »
Well thanks for putting our minds at rest.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #93 on: September 28, 2019, 12:45:37 PM »
I remember one night game at Villa Park (possibly under McLeish) in which Warnock had a nightmare and was getting pelters from the crowd.

QPR I think.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #94 on: September 28, 2019, 01:18:27 PM »
Don't think Warnock ever recovered from a poor game in the league cup final. Started off very well but like pretty much all our left backs was a nervous wreck for rest of his career here.

Offline danno

« Reply #95 on: September 28, 2019, 01:37:29 PM »
Is there anything about how he now plans to use his 50p shaped head now he isn’t using it to miss 4-yards-out headers from corners?

I arched an eyebrow Roger Moore style at this, then I realised I could only actually recall him scoring one header in a crap 1-0 home win against a Pardew Newcastle. The only other thing I remember was Shefki Kuqi coming on. Sat right behind the dugout I remember Pardew's final instructions were "we need a goal, get us a facking goal". Lol

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #96 on: September 28, 2019, 01:39:56 PM »
The genius of Alan Pardew. 

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #97 on: September 29, 2019, 01:22:04 AM »
James talks very fondly of his time at Villa on the latest episode of Elis James' Feast of Football podcast:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05cmk38

He believes that he played his best football playing alongside Dunne and under MON. Surprisingly, he came across very well - I'm surprised that he and Hutton are still looking for a club.

Just listened to that and I agree with you.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #98 on: September 30, 2019, 08:17:22 PM »
I remember one night game at Villa Park (possibly under McLeish) in which Warnock had a nightmare and was getting pelters from the crowd.

QPR I think.
Bolton game.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #99 on: October 01, 2019, 11:47:07 PM »
Warnock was played in midfield in that match; he hit the bar in the first half and scored our goal in the second half. he had a pretty decent game.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #100 on: October 02, 2019, 05:10:48 PM »
I remember at some point in his time with us, Warnock developed a horrible habit of giving needless free kicks away in dangerous areas.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal