collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Brian Evans by maidstonevillain
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Small Rodent
[Today at 12:13:42 AM]

Jacob Ramsey by AV84
[Today at 12:12:05 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 12:04:59 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 12:04:41 AM]

Matty Cash - Polish international by PeterWithe
[Today at 12:03:00 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:02:34 AM]

Press-ing on triumphantly by dave.woodhall
[April 18, 2024, 11:47:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Norwich City vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 21004 times)

Offline myf

Re: Norwich City vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2018, 10:55:51 PM »
I agree with that point about Norwich being in good form. I've literally only heard of Jordan Rhodes in that side - the core of a side which made the play-off final last season should be pissing all over them.

except they pissed all over us just before we made the play offs last season. 3-1 I think?

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2018, 10:56:15 PM »
Another season in this league?  I think you're gonna get that anyway the_ads.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2018, 10:56:36 PM »
Second half from hell tonight. That defence and keeper will prevent us going up.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2018, 10:59:57 PM »
Second half from hell tonight. That defence and keeper will prevent us going up.

We ain't going up this season. We just need to sort ourselves out.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2018, 11:03:08 PM »
Jack wasn’t any good, he was incredibly ponderous. When he did pass it generally was too slow and put players in trouble. Obviously not alone in being poor but I expect so much more from him.
His last couple of efforts we're really frustrating. A free kick straight into the wall and with our final chance a corner that never went above waist height and was easily cleared. Might help if his shorts weren't tight enough to strangle his bollox. Having said that he was messi esque compared to  some of our players tonight.

Offline myf

« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2018, 11:04:12 PM »

I agree but galling when you see that it's going to be a poor standard this year. big error holding on to Bruce in the summer

Offline The_ads

« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2018, 11:07:21 PM »
We can finish 6th. Still 32 games to go.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2018, 11:10:24 PM »

I agree but galling when you see that it's going to be a poor standard this year. big error holding on to Bruce in the summer

Considering we've only won 4 games I'd say it's a minor miracle we're only 8 points off the top 2. We won't be troubling them but does show the difference in standard to last season when Wolves were really on another level and Fulham also morphed into a bottom half prem team after xmas.

Teams nowhere near that standard this time.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2018, 11:12:19 PM »
Norwich have a good team, a team that their managed has shaped over 18 months to get to where they where ,not long ago he was under pressure of the sack.We don't have a team we have a bunch of players picked out by Bruce with little thought of how to put them together as a team beyond trial and error !

Let's consider that we feel behind and got worse after Adomah went off , Adomah who was close to leaving after we brought in 2 more Wingers yet he is still our best option there .Elmo the same , generally his crossing his decent but his delivery tonight was shocking and when his delivery is letting him down it becomes more noticeable that as a winger he doesn't have the greatest ability to beat a full back with pace or skill .

Houriane continues to be an engima ..he gets goals , he gets assists but in general play his is a left footed Whelan he can't run with ball, he doesn't pick out any forward pass's and keeps it simple passing ...when not being out muscled or being done for pace which happens alot !WIth his set plays and goals you feel like he should be playing but then he general play is so non existent especially compared to McGinn I can't make a case to starting him.

You see teams who just fail to go up struggle the following season ,that's what we are seeing especially in Jack and Chester who both don't seem at 100% .In terms of Jack I felt he got more into the game as it went along but at times you just want him to shoot or be more direct his natural talent has got him this far but he needs so decent coaching at this stage of his career.

Overall you can see we are trying to pass it more and press the ball but we have a lack of pace and mobility in the side which is hampering this. At the back we have a keeper who looks suspect with balls into the area ( we have conceded 10 goals from set pieces ) and full backs who are limited.Midfield ( without McGinn) lacks any dynamism and whilst Tammy was miles better than Hogan he still wasn't holding the ball up well enough for my liking

Tuanzebe was the big positive tonight.When you see him play like that at CB it's baffling to have had Jedinek over him there let alone playing him at RB !!

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2018, 11:19:29 PM »

Looking back we didn't have much choice but to keep Bruce. After the play off,s things unravelled quite quickly and we were lucky to get saved in the end. The new owners needed time to look at things and quite quickly they saw the light. We just need time now for that light to become a beacon.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2018, 11:24:49 PM »
Smith has been left with a duff hand by Bruce in defence and keeper, and we all have to make the best of it until January.  The players are having to re-learn playing proper football.  I guess we will continue to find it difficult against in-form sides like Norwich until Smith's methods start to take hold and he gets to know his resources better.  Hopefully he can do it fairly quickly.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2018, 11:27:52 PM »
The trouble is, there comes a point where your form is so bad that every other side is comparatively 'in-form'.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2018, 11:47:57 PM »
Early days. Can't polish a turd in 2 games

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2018, 11:55:32 PM »

Looking back we didn't have much choice but to keep Bruce. After the play off,s things unravelled quite quickly and we were lucky to get saved in the end. The new owners needed time to look at things and quite quickly they saw the light. We just need time now for that light to become a beacon.

Agreed, if we’d potted Bruce after the play off final with what then transpired financially we’d have Mick McCarthy in charge now. My only criticism of the owners is i’d Have got shot of Bruce a few weeks earlier.

Online murfee

• GM : 15.05.2015
« Reply #134 on: October 24, 2018, 12:12:44 AM »
Disappointing display 2nd half, poor substitutions, Jack Grealish looks increasingly like Stephen Ireland mk II and we’ve a liability in goal. Pretty shit really.

Was going to post the exact same pal. Overplaying the ball in areas of the pitch that don't matter, weak as piss in the tackle, all fart no shit.... just like Stephen Ireland.

Grealish and Chester have been awful this season. Two best players in their positions in the division last season but their lack of leadership has been exposed this season.

Two games in, no discernible improvement. Team selections and substitutions that Bruce would have been cabbaged for. Until Smith brings his own players in then I can't seeing us improving under him.

Some fundamental issues in that squad. Goalkeeper, full backs, lack of balance in midfield, lack of a dominant centre half, host of players unsuited to Smith's style of play, core of players long past their best. We are at nothing.

Bad substitutions.....he had no choice.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal