collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1536643 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #14955 on: October 19, 2021, 09:50:56 PM »
We have to pay three at the back in order to keep five in midfield. This is because Dean Smith yet again failed to find a defensive central midfielder. If we had somebody with more physicality in the middle of the park we could even risk playing 442 and then play Bailey and Traore in the same side. McGinn and the meathead as the two.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14956 on: October 19, 2021, 10:02:28 PM »
We have to pay three at the back in order to keep five in midfield. This is because Dean Smith yet again failed to find a defensive central midfielder. If we had somebody with more physicality in the middle of the park we could even risk playing 442 and then play Bailey and Traore in the same side. McGinn and the meathead as the two.

He honestly didn't.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #14957 on: October 20, 2021, 06:29:04 AM »
In fairness though the 4-3-3 works better with McGinn and Luiz able to get on the ball and get forward, so a top drawer holding mid would have been a very useful addition.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #14958 on: October 20, 2021, 08:40:14 AM »
In fairness though the 4-3-3 works better with McGinn and Luiz able to get on the ball and get forward, so a top drawer holding mid would have been a very useful addition.

It would.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #14959 on: October 20, 2021, 09:19:47 AM »

He honestly didn't.

Who? Whoever he is must be injured because we are still conceding too many shots against. Our football can be excellent but we are always susceptible to physical midfielders.  McGinn, Luiz, Nakamba can’t defend.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #14960 on: October 20, 2021, 09:21:35 AM »

He honestly didn't.

Who? Whoever he is must be injured because we are still conceding too many shots against. Our football can be excellent but we are always susceptible to physical midfielders.  McGinn, Luiz, Nakamba can’t defend.

No, the point is Dean Smith doesn't find or sign our players.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #14961 on: October 20, 2021, 09:24:05 AM »
Oh please. He has a hand in it all though doesn’t he? It’s such a myth that Dean has nothing to do with it. 

Offline LeeB

« Reply #14962 on: October 20, 2021, 09:27:02 AM »
Nobody said he has nothing to do with it, but it's not his job.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #14963 on: October 20, 2021, 09:30:58 AM »
But he does decide the type of player he needs.
So maybe he thinks he doesn’t need a DM.
If it was a priority I am pretty sure we would have one.

Offline Risso

« Reply #14964 on: October 20, 2021, 09:49:07 AM »
So Smith didn't recommend the signing of Konsa and Watkins then, two players who played for him at Brentford. Hmmm, OK then.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #14965 on: October 20, 2021, 10:24:10 AM »
I can't be arsed to look for an old thread about either Downing or MON but I thought there's vague relevance to DS just to show how different things were, not so long ago.

Stewart Downing in the Meaning Evil, talking about MON (and confirming that which a lot of us thought at the time).

"There were no tactics," Downing added. "You know some managers say right-back and so on. He'd just list the players, Friedel, Cuellar, Youngy... Then we'd look at each other like where are you playing?

"He's only rule was if either me or Youngy were having a quiet game then he'd tell us to switch, me, Agbonlahor and Young, he'd always switch us three around.

"We had days off and I was literally living in Middlesbrough playing for Villa because I'd have two/three days off a week. Honestly, he was unbelievable. He was like a Brian Clough."

Prior to O'Neill's resignation, Downing and the Villa squad spent pre-season in Dublin, which included seven nights out with Richard Dunne and James Collins the life and soul of the group after their recent arrivals.

As Downing continued: "Even in pre-season in Ireland... I like a night out and a few do. He'd signed Richard Dunne at this point.

"We'd train and then (O'Neill) said, I don't give a f*** what happens, make sure you're all fit on August 14. If you're injured don't play, if you're not feeling right don't play. You can have a night out.

"We were there for 10 nights in Dublin and I think we were out for seven. We were out till late with Dunney all around Dublin, James Collins. Honestly, I was thinking there's no way we're finishing in the top six, we've been on the p*** for seven days. Then we'd get back for pre-season, you've had your fun and a laugh it's time to work.

Offline Risso

« Reply #14966 on: October 20, 2021, 10:43:30 AM »
That one season Dunne and Collins were the best central defensive partnership we’ve had in years, hardly conceded anything at all.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #14967 on: October 20, 2021, 11:01:24 AM »
That one season Dunne and Collins were the best central defensive partnership we’ve had in years, hardly conceded anything at all.

Yeah, because they never moved from the edge of our box, meaning poor old Stan had to cover more of the pitch and we spent most of the time against anyone half decent without the ball.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #14968 on: October 20, 2021, 11:03:40 AM »
I’ll take 6th three years in a row. 👍

Offline LeeB

« Reply #14969 on: October 20, 2021, 11:04:17 AM »
I’ll take 6th three years in a row. 👍

Would you take the 10 years that followed it?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal