collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522092 times)

Offline Villan82

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #14880 on: October 17, 2021, 11:52:20 PM »
Rory, while I agree that now probably isn't the time to say goodbye to him, I believe it may well be in a few weeks time. If after 11 games we are looking like a team that will average a point per game I don't think that's good enough.

Whether that is classless or not is to me irrelevant. He has had three years and hundreds of millions. If we let sentiment get in the way of the right decision then we may as well fold up the tent and give up. Nice bloke, one of my favourite managers of all time, great memories, some good football...but as I get older and more aware of my own mortality I just don't want us to be looking back at yet another 'what if'. I want us to grasp the opportunity these owners give us. I want us to be successful.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #14881 on: October 17, 2021, 11:55:00 PM »
Mings for me is the biggest worry. He is captain and supposed to lead by example but he seems to lack the enthusiasm, desire of past seaons. He used to be very vocal, even that seems to have dropped off, something is not right with him. A previous poster talked about the technical ability of oue centre backs and he is dead right, how many times do we see the back line playing pass ball to each other with the end result being Mings hitting a nothing ball down the line.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #14882 on: October 18, 2021, 12:12:47 AM »
Is a bit of patience called for right now? The 'transition' post Grealish was always going to lead to inconsistent results early on. We haven't been helped with Bailey picking up an injury after his game winning contribution v Everton. Deano has his weaknesses as a manager, particularly during a game. A couple of weeks ago, it was being suggested he could be the next England manager and now he has to go. Maybe the truth is in the middle.

My biggest issue is that the recruitment last summer was muddled. That's continued through to team selection this season. Deano needs to settle on a defined team setup for the next few weeks and that's going to involve some hard decisions especially with Sanson and Bailey coming back. 

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14883 on: October 18, 2021, 12:17:34 AM »
Rory, while I agree that now probably isn't the time to say goodbye to him, I believe it may well be in a few weeks time. If after 11 games we are looking like a team that will average a point per game I don't think that's good enough.

Whether that is classless or not is to me irrelevant. He has had three years and hundreds of millions. If we let sentiment get in the way of the right decision then we may as well fold up the tent and give up. Nice bloke, one of my favourite managers of all time, great memories, some good football...but as I get older and more aware of my own mortality I just don't want us to be looking back at yet another 'what if'. I want us to grasp the opportunity these owners give us. I want us to be successful.

All a matter of opinions, mate. I don't disagree with anything you've said, I'm just not ready to pull the trigger just yet. Let's hope things improve!

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #14884 on: October 18, 2021, 05:07:23 AM »
All I can say is if with the squad we have got you think the manager is only good enough to get 10th or 11th out of it then you don’t think a lot of him and he needs to go ASAP

Our wage bill places us in 11th place. Anything above that could reasonably be considered an achievement (of varying degrees, of course). Anything less, the opposite.

Going into the season, I predicted a lower placing than that mostly because I think our midfield is very inconsistent and, frankly, not as good as it needs to be. I was not prepared for this drop in form of our back line, I admit.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #14885 on: October 18, 2021, 07:27:38 AM »
The back line are struggling because they don't know their roles well enough. Mings and Konsa look very unsettled in a 3. The £33m on Buendia bought a predominantly right sided attacking mid that Smith insists on playing centrally. The Norwich fans all said he was at his best from the right. Ings and Watkins is clearly not working, he has to bite the bullet for the good of the team and go back to a variation of 4-3-3. Most of all though, he has to find a way to get 11 very expensive footballers to keep the ball better in times of stress and pressure. At Spurs we started to give it away a lot and conceded. Same against Wolves. There are a lot more alarm bells than signs he can sort it for me. Time to actz and time for the owner to show where their ambition is long term. Is it 8th - 12th and self sufficient bobbling along, or is it to challenge top 6. If it is the latter, thee have to act.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #14886 on: October 18, 2021, 08:05:34 AM »
All I can say is if with the squad we have got you think the manager is only good enough to get 10th or 11th out of it then you don’t think a lot of him and he needs to go ASAP

Our wage bill places us in 11th place. Anything above that could reasonably be considered an achievement (of varying degrees, of course). Anything less, the opposite.

Going into the season, I predicted a lower placing than that mostly because I think our midfield is very inconsistent and, frankly, not as good as it needs to be. I was not prepared for this drop in form of our back line, I admit.

I’m not sure that with villa currently the wage bill is a clear indicator.  Unlike most other teams we have a very lean squad - there are no players sitting there on high wages but not contributing. 

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #14887 on: October 18, 2021, 08:24:11 AM »

Well if you’re right and I really hope you’re not as it is an extremely pessimistic view we will struggle to hold onto our best players
I can virtually guarantee that McGinn Martinez Cash etc Will want to play European football and if the best we can offer is 10th or 11th using the wage bill as the excuse then we are in big troubles

What’s more they deserve to play at that level as did Grealish

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #14888 on: October 18, 2021, 08:42:06 AM »

Well if you’re right and I really hope you’re not as it is an extremely pessimistic view we will struggle to hold onto our best players
I can virtually guarantee that McGinn Martinez Cash etc Will want to play European football and if the best we can offer is 10th or 11th using the wage bill as the excuse then we are in big troubles

Come the end of this season, we need to be either in Europe, or close enough to that a statement signing early in the summer transfer window will be enough to keep the wolves at bay.

I like Dean Smith, think he's a good manager, and think he can take us there. But if the ambition is to compete at the top end of the table, the target has to be something like that. And he'll need to meet those targets.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #14889 on: October 18, 2021, 08:51:48 AM »

Come the end of this season, we need to be either in Europe, or close enough to that a statement signing early in the summer transfer window will be enough to keep the wolves at bay.

I like Dean Smith, think he's a good manager, and think he can take us there. But if the ambition is to compete at the top end of the table, the target has to be something like that. And he'll need to meet those targets.

Agreed and if he’s good enough and he’ll be given time to prove he’s good enough we’ll be in Europe or pushing

And if he’s not good enough what we don’t do his lower the ambition level or the expectation level to pretend otherwise

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #14890 on: October 18, 2021, 08:58:17 AM »
I wonder if the international break had more of an effect. Smith won't be used to losing so many players for it.

Our out ball up the left for Watkins to chase isn't working either as we appear to have been sussed, so we need to change that too. I'm my view, that's an Austin MacPhee job as it is, in effect, a set play.

The midfield was congested on Saturday and for long spells we were the better side in that area of the pitch. The last 20 or so minutes saw us ceding for of the ball and territory and the confidence was a bit wobbly. When the goals happened we just lost our heads. That's something the manager needs to work on. It might be time for him to do some 1:1 stuff with certain players again too.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #14891 on: October 18, 2021, 09:24:37 AM »
The 3 or 5 at the back needs ditching. All we're doing is putting a back up central defender in at the expense of an attacking player. We're not gaining much defensively as the last two games have shown, and have lost width (especially from the left) and Ings and Watkins aren't working as a front two.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #14892 on: October 18, 2021, 09:30:18 AM »

I, too, hope I am wildly wrong. No argument with the rest of your post.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #14893 on: October 18, 2021, 09:42:25 AM »
It’s about a 90% correlation between player wages and final league position. This has been getting more entrenched over the last 10 years. We’ve been able to catch up pretty fast but in order to press on, the income side of the FFP equation needs to be improved drastically.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #14894 on: October 18, 2021, 09:56:42 AM »
The 3 or 5 at the back needs ditching. All we're doing is putting a back up central defender in at the expense of an attacking player. We're not gaining much defensively as the last two games have shown, and have lost width (especially from the left) and Ings and Watkins aren't working as a front two.

Apart from games when the coaching staff decide a tactical shift is needed, possibly against the better teams with more attacking threat, it makes no sense to me to have our main attacking thrust to come via our full backs. Especially when we have spent near 100 mill on attacking talent. Surely he has to get Beundia and Bailey in the team when their all fit, which means You can only play one of Ollie or Ings, unless he rotates and plays Ollie wide on some occasions at the expense of either Bailey or Beundia.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal