collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1523529 times)

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #14595 on: September 28, 2021, 03:17:54 PM »
Sometimes I like to stop and look at how far we've come with Dean in charge, in what is still a relatively short time.

He's been here less than three years, but in the second half on Saturday we took off a £20m England striker and replaced him with a £30m Argentinian attacking midfielder (while leaving another £30m England striker on the pitch). We also replaced one 20-year old youth product with another 19-year-old youth product from the bench.  And we did all this on our way to deservedly winning three points at Old Trafford.

If you'd told me that such a thing was coming in October 2018 I'd have thought you were bonkers. I'd have hoped you were right, but I wouldn't have believed it was possible - not after the decade we'd just endured.

We might lose at Spurs, and see plenty of the positivity we're currently enjoying seep away, but it's always nice to step back from the match-to-match obsession (which we're all guilty of) and look at our journey so far - because it's been a bloody good one.

Who knows what we'll be looking back on in another three years?

Great post.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #14596 on: September 28, 2021, 03:27:18 PM »
Sometimes I like to stop and look at how far we've come with Dean in charge, in what is still a relatively short time.

He's been here less than three years, but in the second half on Saturday we took off a £20m England striker and replaced him with a £30m Argentinian attacking midfielder (while leaving another £30m England striker on the pitch). We also replaced one 20-year old youth product with another 19-year-old youth product from the bench.  And we did all this on our way to deservedly winning three points at Old Trafford.

If you'd told me that such a thing was coming in October 2018 I'd have thought you were bonkers. I'd have hoped you were right, but I wouldn't have believed it was possible - not after the decade we'd just endured.

We might lose at Spurs, and see plenty of the positivity we're currently enjoying seep away, but it's always nice to step back from the match-to-match obsession (which we're all guilty of) and look at our journey so far - because it's been a bloody good one.

Amen

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #14597 on: September 28, 2021, 03:32:21 PM »
Absolutely.  There's enough pouncing on Smith when things aren't going well.  We mustn't forget he is still a young manager and will make mistakes as a young player will.  He is learning and you can see his tactical development this year reflected in the team around him as well as the team on the pitch.  I've a lot of time for Dean and hope he will still be taking us on an upward curve in 2 or 3 years time.

Online Clampy

« Reply #14598 on: September 28, 2021, 05:17:41 PM »

Excellent post.

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #14599 on: September 28, 2021, 05:21:33 PM »
Don't forget, Smithy, doing all that having sold Grealish.

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #14600 on: September 28, 2021, 05:25:08 PM »
Don't think it's been mentioned, but you look at the cost of Manchester's side and subs and Villa's, that is such a pleasing fact

Offline Villan82

« Reply #14601 on: September 28, 2021, 06:37:45 PM »
Dean is doing a great job

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #14602 on: September 28, 2021, 07:13:36 PM »
One of my biggest criticisms of Dean was his in game management. The past couple of games have seen him being much more proactive, which is great to see

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #14603 on: September 28, 2021, 07:17:53 PM »
One of my biggest criticisms of Dean was his in game management. The past couple of games have seen him being much more proactive, which is great to see

He’s been doing it all season to be fair. It’s definitely something that’s different now. Maybe it’s having more faith with what’s available on the bench or help from his colleagues.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #14604 on: September 28, 2021, 07:37:18 PM »

He’s been doing it all season to be fair. It’s definitely something that’s different now. Maybe it’s having more faith with what’s available on the bench or help from his colleagues.

The options from the bench are WAY better this season.  I said in the summer, I wasn't sure if our first-eleven post-Grealish is better than our first-eleven WITH Grealish.  But the 14 we can use in any given match is DEFINITELY better than any 14 we could have put out in the Grealish era.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #14605 on: September 28, 2021, 07:44:31 PM »
To repeat what I'm saying more and more - I'm still not sure whether Dean will prove to be another Ron Saunders, or Vic Crowe. But I'm certain that if it's the latter his successor will inherit the best situation any new Villa manager has enjoyed for at least thirty years.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #14606 on: September 28, 2021, 07:50:06 PM »

Excellent post.

Brilliant Post.   We're doing things so well at the moment.  I run a small business and take a lot of inspiration from the Villa.  Day to Day things can be shit - but with a strategy, and the right people you'll always go forward.  Thats what the club are doing so well.  They will be set backs, but I think we are currently the best ran club in the league

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #14607 on: September 28, 2021, 07:56:20 PM »
To repeat what I'm saying more and more - I'm still not sure whether Dean will prove to be another Ron Saunders, or Vic Crowe. But I'm certain that if it's the latter his successor will inherit the best situation any new Villa manager has enjoyed for at least thirty years.

Absolutely, he might, eventually, prove to be the wrong man to take us where we want to be but the squad he's building to get there, and the club being built around it, is the best we've had for a long time and when we're looking for a replacement I suspect the candidates will be very excited by the prospect. I hope that all happens years from now though and we're on the 2nd or 3rd generation of youth players coming through.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #14608 on: September 28, 2021, 09:59:47 PM »
Absolutely, he might, eventually, prove to be the wrong man to take us where we want to be but the squad he's building to get there, and the club being built around it, is the best we've had for a long time and when we're looking for a replacement I suspect the candidates will be very excited by the prospect. I hope that all happens years from now though and we're on the 2nd or 3rd generation of youth players coming through.

The manner of Smith's exit may be interesting. Are the FA looking at what he's doing at Villa and wondering what he could do for England? Don't think they would tempt Smith now as he must be intent on what's happening at Villa, but in a few years time (if things go as we hope they might)?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 10:28:31 PM by not3bad »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #14609 on: September 28, 2021, 10:10:56 PM »
He'll certainly be in the mix along with likes of Potter and inevitable big name like Gerrard.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal