collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522512 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #14370 on: September 20, 2021, 10:04:38 PM »
He wasn't at all. Both outside centre halves were tasked with stepping out of defence second half and both wing backs were 15 yards higher up the pitch.

Mings did not occupy a full back spot. The general defensive did not change when Bailey came on.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #14371 on: September 20, 2021, 11:10:23 PM »
for me the key to beating Man U is to get their defence turned and put pressure on them int the centre of the park. For that reason it's the perfect game to try

Martinez
Cash  Konsa    Mings  Targett
  Luiz    Nakamba   Ramsey
                 Ings
   Watkins            Bailey

So 433 but with Ings slightly deeper between the defence and midfield and Watkins and Bailey starting wider (and swapping sides) to either pull the full backs in or centre backs out. The 3 in midfield for us means we have support for our full backs when they attack (because the 3 behind Ronaldo tend to target the same areas as I mentioned above).

Id go with that, apart from mcginn for nakamba if he’s fit enough to play.

As a complete aside, as we were hammering Everton on Saturday, it was exactly 3 years ago that we were beating Rotherham 2-0, the team that night;
Nyland
Elmo
Chester
Jedinak
Hutton

El Ghazi
Mcginn
Hourihane
Grealish
Bolasie

Abraham.

That defence! Weve come a long way in those 3 years!

Bruce giving it the big one afterwards, that we were all mugs and that Jedinak could play centre back!

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #14372 on: September 20, 2021, 11:16:52 PM »
He wasn't at all. Both outside centre halves were tasked with stepping out of defence second half and both wing backs were 15 yards higher up the pitch.

Mings did not occupy a full back spot. The general defensive did not change when Bailey came on.

See I thought it looked like a back four, not least because Mings started taking throw-ins. I guess however what happened was that, now further up the pitch and already wide when we got the ball, him taking throws quickly so Bailey could remain a threat on the pitch made sense.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #14373 on: September 21, 2021, 01:04:33 AM »
Mings was as left back as left back gets for a good 15 minutes. Bailey was playing left wing. It may not have been the intention, but it was the formation on the pitch.

Exactly.

So if Mings went to left back and Konsa went to right back, who were the two centre-halves in this imaginary back four?

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #14374 on: September 21, 2021, 06:24:29 AM »
Mings was as left back as left back gets for a good 15 minutes. Bailey was playing left wing. It may not have been the intention, but it was the formation on the pitch.

Exactly.

So if Mings went to left back and Konsa went to right back, who were the two centre-halves in this imaginary back four?
Martinez pushed up one, sat alongside Axel.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #14375 on: September 21, 2021, 06:39:31 AM »

Exactly.

This is a bizarre debate. To me it looked really clearly like we kept the same basic formation, pushed the wing backs slightly higher, and therefore the back 3 spread slightly wider. And that’s also what the manager said we did.

Could it be the case that some people are so keen for their formation to work that they see it when it’s not even being played?

Offline nigel

« Reply #14376 on: September 21, 2021, 06:52:25 AM »

Exactly.

Exactly.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #14377 on: September 21, 2021, 09:40:15 AM »
Konsa didn't though. Cash just stayed higher and left space in behind, and Ings popped up on the right a lot more. Mings very obviously came across to the left, and the commentary on the box when I watched it back made a number of comments about him playing there. It may not have been the intention but it was definitely the result. Bailey was as close to a left wing back as I am being skinny.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #14378 on: September 21, 2021, 10:16:48 AM »
Konsa didn't though. Cash just stayed higher and left space in behind, and Ings popped up on the right a lot more. Mings very obviously came across to the left, and the commentary on the box when I watched it back made a number of comments about him playing there. It may not have been the intention but it was definitely the result. Bailey was as close to a left wing back as I am being skinny.

So they stretched out the back three, kept the wider players pushed forward and went for it with Bailey on instead of Targett. Anyway, the fact we can't agree on this shows that we now have much more flexibility in our play, formations can be tweaked in games and we have a squad now that allows us to make substitutions that can turn games.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #14379 on: September 21, 2021, 10:36:42 AM »
We can all be unhappy / happy because our preferred formations weren't / were used. Great.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14380 on: September 21, 2021, 10:39:49 AM »
At no ******* point on ******** Saturday did we ******* have a ******* back ******* four.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #14381 on: September 21, 2021, 10:41:29 AM »
At no ******* point on ******** Saturday did we ******* have a ******* back ******* four.

You've made a good ******* point.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #14382 on: September 21, 2021, 10:42:15 AM »
We can all be unhappy / happy because our preferred formations weren't / were used. Great.

Ha exactly. For me the big news is that Dean, after all the (often justified) criticism he's copped for his game management, changed something and it worked, whatever it was. And against a canny old game-manager in Benitez too. This is all good news.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #14383 on: September 21, 2021, 10:50:08 AM »
When Bailey was on and Everton had the ball it looked more like a back 4 as Cash retreated more than Bailey and Mings stayed quite wide.  I'm surprised it's such a controversial issue tbh.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #14384 on: September 21, 2021, 10:53:47 AM »
When Bailey was on and Everton had the ball it looked more like a back 4 as Cash retreated more than Bailey and Mings stayed quite wide.  I'm surprised it's such a controversial issue tbh.

We won 3-0, the rest is just noise.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal