collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1521999 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #13110 on: May 18, 2021, 05:04:07 PM »
Graham Potters an interesting one
if he was doing the same job in Germany or Spain I get the feeling he would be seen as Naglesman or Tuchel like when they were early on

Your not going to win anything or get anywhere at BHA so it’s difficult to judge
but I still think they were one of the best teams we played at their place and we still came away with a point and from other games I’ve seen they look an exciting unit
there league position obviously means they have big flaws but it’s BHA on a budget same size as Brentford I would think

I don’t even know what I’m suggesting here but I think he will be an interesting watch in the future

Villa fan aswell....

Think he needs another season as given how Brighton have played for most of the season them still being a far way off top half isn't great.

Can certainly see him being on Leicester's radar if Rodgers moves on soon so that's the thought of joined up thinking we've lacked with managerial searches in last decade, just going from one managerial extreme to another regularly.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #13111 on: May 18, 2021, 05:07:33 PM »
Graham Potters an interesting one
if he was doing the same job in Germany or Spain I get the feeling he would be seen as Naglesman or Tuchel like when they were early on

Your not going to win anything or get anywhere at BHA so it’s difficult to judge
but I still think they were one of the best teams we played at their place and we still came away with a point and from other games I’ve seen they look an exciting unit
there league position obviously means they have big flaws but it’s BHA on a budget same size as Brentford I would think

I don’t even know what I’m suggesting here but I think he will be an interesting watch in the future

He's done ok but despite playing some tidy football they've been pretty toothless for most of the season, that might be the squad but there has to be a question mark, 76 goals in 74 games is why they've been near the bottom of the league for both of his seasons with them.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #13112 on: May 18, 2021, 05:11:33 PM »
I'm interested, to know if anyone wants him sacked before the start of next season. My interpretation of some of the language used suggests so.
I don't deny our form hasn't been great recently but he has proven how good it can be. With better players as we'll surely buy in the summer we should be looking top 8 next season. If we don't buy a central midfielder and more creativity up front/on the wing I think we'll be hard pressed to improve.
I wouldn't get rid of him to bring in somebody like Dyche or Howe, no, but I'd love to see a big hitter appointed to really try to shift us forward more quickly.  Smith has been lucky to inherit a freak of nature like Grealish, but without him we seem completely devoid of ideas, and I don't think Smith is the bloke to attract the sort of big names we need.
I hope that the players we are going after would be able to flourish under a better manager should one be needed and/or appointed. For too long we bought players specific to the manager. The one thing I have been impressed with at Leicester is that players bought since they won the title have been for the most part quality footballers and now with a better manager they have improved further. With the likes of Martinez, Konsa, Watkins, Cash, Targett as examples they will do well with Smith or anyone else for that matter. We need to keep getting in players of that level and better to progress.
Isn't that the point of bringing in Lange and others (your point in bold): to create a platform that is not dependent on one specific manager. So, I agree.

Having a recruitment team is half the job, the other half comes down to who we pick next whenever Smith leaves. Bring in someone like Dyche (who isn't a terrible manager, just not suited to the players we seem to be going for) and the whole thing falls down.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #13113 on: May 18, 2021, 05:13:06 PM »
Potter's done alright but lets face it given the crap that's gone down finishing 17th and possibly 11th points off 18th isn't that impressive.  Anyway I couldn't see the argument in giving 200m to him instead of Smith.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #13114 on: May 18, 2021, 05:14:45 PM »
I'm interested, to know if anyone wants him sacked before the start of next season. My interpretation of some of the language used suggests so.
I don't deny our form hasn't been great recently but he has proven how good it can be. With better players as we'll surely buy in the summer we should be looking top 8 next season. If we don't buy a central midfielder and more creativity up front/on the wing I think we'll be hard pressed to improve.
I wouldn't get rid of him to bring in somebody like Dyche or Howe, no, but I'd love to see a big hitter appointed to really try to shift us forward more quickly.  Smith has been lucky to inherit a freak of nature like Grealish, but without him we seem completely devoid of ideas, and I don't think Smith is the bloke to attract the sort of big names we need.
I hope that the players we are going after would be able to flourish under a better manager should one be needed and/or appointed. For too long we bought players specific to the manager. The one thing I have been impressed with at Leicester is that players bought since they won the title have been for the most part quality footballers and now with a better manager they have improved further. With the likes of Martinez, Konsa, Watkins, Cash, Targett as examples they will do well with Smith or anyone else for that matter. We need to keep getting in players of that level and better to progress.
Isn't that the point of bringing in Lange and others (your point in bold): to create a platform that is not dependent on one specific manager. So, I agree.
Having a recruitment team is half the job, the other half comes down to who we pick next whenever Smith leaves. Bring in someone like Dyche (who isn't a terrible manager, just not suited to the players we seem to be going for) and the whole thing falls down.
Of course, what I should have said is that Dean is the Head Coach, not manager. And my point was that the club now has an infrastructure designed to minimise the impact of the Head Coach being bulleted.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #13115 on: May 18, 2021, 05:35:50 PM »
It's interesting, people want a big manager, but there aren't any available, or that would likely leave the clubs they are at to come to us. I guess if they were told they had a couple of hundred million they might be persuaded but even then, with out structure, they wouldn't get final say on everything.

It reinforces to me that SMith is ok, but he has to learn and adapt a bit better. I think he can, and I hope, as I'm sure we do, that he does!

You never really find out who's available until there's a job going. Technically Smith wasn't available as he had a contract at Brentford. Then we sacked Bruce, and all of a sudden he was available.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #13116 on: May 18, 2021, 05:37:54 PM »
Potter's done alright but lets face it given the crap that's gone down finishing 17th and possibly 11th points off 18th isn't that impressive.  Anyway I couldn't see the argument in giving 200m to him instead of Smith.

Potter's stats are great apparently, xG and the likes, not the one stats that actually matters at season end. Points on the board. Not even sure they have improved much from Hughton's time.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13117 on: May 18, 2021, 05:41:51 PM »
Saying Smith isn't good enough but Potter is is a bit of a leap in my book.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #13118 on: May 18, 2021, 06:32:36 PM »
Swap Watkins for Maupay, swap Villa and Brighton's positions?

I guess our defence is a fair bit better too. I'd have Trossard and Bissouma in midfield ahead of McGinn/Luiz though.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #13119 on: May 18, 2021, 06:57:12 PM »

I’m not saying he’s good enough
Just saying he’s an interesting one to watch

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13120 on: May 18, 2021, 08:27:20 PM »
This time last season people were saying we should get Pochettino in. He went to PSG. Somebody mentioned him again a few pages ago, along with Rodgers. We are not a step up for these people, and these kind of people, at this stage of their careers, only take steps upwards.

Edit: and according to Pitarch (who would know), had we sacked Dean we'd have been looking at Chris Hughton.

Some perspective required.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 08:28:53 PM by Sexual Ealing »

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #13121 on: May 18, 2021, 08:30:52 PM »
Leeds are a better side than us, which is why they are where they are and why we are where we are.

We've got a much stronger squad and a decent manager but they've got a top quality manager.

We need to be where they are next season, and DS has done, for me, just about enough to have the chance to do it, but he's really got to deliver.

I understand our weaknesses in this second half of the season, and there are mitigating factors, but he has got to put them right. Ultimately he has to deliver, and if he gets the financial backing this summer, he is going to have to produce the goods.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #13122 on: May 18, 2021, 08:35:22 PM »

Potter is a decent coach but for me he would not be an upgrade on Dean Smith.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #13123 on: May 18, 2021, 08:43:29 PM »

Potter is a decent coach but for me he would not be an upgrade on Dean Smith.

Indeed. Pointless.

If we change manager, we need to choose someone markedly better than what we have.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #13124 on: May 18, 2021, 08:57:52 PM »
A big part of what we are seeing with Leeds is that they, much like Sheff Utd didn’t come up surprisingly. Let’s be honest when Dean took over and once Jack was out nobody, even the most rose tinted specs wearing Villa fan saw what would happen next. But it did and we had to blow everything up and start almost from scratch. There are still residual affects from that very sudden rebuild. Leeds had Bielsa for a couple of years in the Championship and now a continuation into the PL with a solid base. So that they look more cohesive isn’t a shock. We are just very dependent on Jack, but we’ve shown when we are flying our ceiling is a lot higher than we are showing now, but our floor is lower than it should be if we are to compete at the top end. We cannot have such a wide gap in our performances.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal