collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1542288 times)

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #13005 on: May 17, 2021, 09:51:49 PM »
Having spent what we’ve spent, the wages we pay and the value of the squad we’re pretty much bang on for where we should be i.e mid table. Yep it’s disappointing that we have struggled in the second half of the season but we have a mid table 1st XI and a weaker squad outside that with probably 2 guaranteed starters in a top 4 team. A further investment of £150-£150m this summer FFP allowing should see us be more competitive from 5-7th next season.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #13006 on: May 17, 2021, 09:52:06 PM »
Even finishing top 8 this season will have teams in poor runs. Spurs have won same amount as we have since mid December I think and could still finish 5th.

That 6th place finish under O'Leary in 03/04 we won 15 games in the season so only one off that currently, Newcastle somehow finished above us with just 13 wins.

First MON 6th place season we won 16 games. We really aren't far away as long as we can get another 2-3 decent players in this summer.

Disappointment this season is we were in a really good position going into March after winning at Leeds and completely messed up the games v Sheffield United and Newcastle simply because we didn't have much of an idea how to play without Grealish at that point, at least in last few weeks we've at least had some good halves but a little bit too late.

A few of us were remarking, at various points of the season, that we still lose too many games and it would be nice if Dean could make us harder to beat. At that point we were still in the hunt for Europe and people were saying that 'draws are no good'. Well, they are better than defeats and 4 or 5 extra points isn't to be sniffed at.

We just lose too many that we shouldn't lose. Palace away, Burnley away, Sheff United. We need to be more ruthless about accumulating points and leaving nothing behind.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #13007 on: May 17, 2021, 10:04:02 PM »
Yeah there's a balance really. I don't mind going for 3 points more as draws towards end of two of the MON seasons cost us higher places aswell even if they kept us in the mix in short run.

I thought with way we blasted Liverpool off the pitch we were going to have a really good home season but since then think we've only won 4 home games in 16 which isn't great at all.

It can be excused by BCD but truth is we simply don't win enough home games season in season out to really challenge high up the season, need 11-12 wins and we've only won 10 once in 20 seasons!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #13008 on: May 17, 2021, 10:40:20 PM »
Does anyone despise Moyes?!

Me. I'm still pissed off at him for nicking the recipe for Flaming Homers and passing it off as his own.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #13009 on: May 17, 2021, 10:54:50 PM »
What are we going to do about Jack, undoubtably our best player, he’s a huge miss when injured, but in the games leading up to his injury some teams had found ways to limit his influence, that should have  sent alarm bells ringing , and the coaching staff should have sent the team out cater for this..  Overall the seasons been ok but  the expectation level has risen. Dean in that unique position of Fan/Manager must be disappointed by the seasons fade away

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #13010 on: May 17, 2021, 10:58:22 PM »
The thing I take solace in is that the season before it was all Jack and teams found ways to slow him or stop him and he was still ace. We then added better players and he was no longer the entire focus of the opponents attention and he was even more ace. Then as the season went on teams figured things out, took longer but they did and then he got hurt. This summer if we add more really good players what should happen is that teams cannot focus solely on him which means over a longer stretch of the season he will be even more fucking ace and we will win the league. Or something like that.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #13011 on: May 17, 2021, 11:05:40 PM »
Every team suffered from Covid, to a more of lesser degree.  The training complex was closed and we only carried on playing after every single player was fit again.  It may have affected our momentum but not to the degree that we only win a handful of games over the rest of the season.  Losing Jack also has nothing to do with Covid and seems to happen once a season.  We have to sign other quality players and be better prepared for it. I would ask the question: is Dean getting enough out of the players?

Regardless of any excuses offered, the second half of the season was nearly as bad as last season!
I don’t think any of us would disagree that our form has been poor since Christmas. But the same manager had us playing the best football in years up to that point whilst bringing in new and exciting talent as the start of a much needed rebuild. Yet people overlook that point and suggest that very same manager is the cause of the poor form, despite the squad having a Covid outbreak, a generally weak squad depth and losing his best player for three months!! Maybe that’s the cause of poor end to the season????

We strengthened the squad in January Allan, we bought the wrong type of player in Sanson when we needed a strong defensive midfielder.  We can all see it yet Dean can’t?  Same manager, same tactics. To be fair we also showed at times, against Southampton and Leeds how poor we can be even in the first half of the season.  I appreciate that Rome wasn’t built in a day and we are still a side in assembly phase but having spent what we have, I’d expect 11th as the minimum. 

Would any other manager sustained the start that we made?

Lots and lots of managers/teams haven’t sustained really good starts to the season, I don’t really get the point, football history is littered with teams falling away, it happens every year. What manager would you want, I’m not sure you’ve said yet

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #13012 on: May 18, 2021, 12:30:28 AM »
Every team suffered from Covid, to a more of lesser degree.  The training complex was closed and we only carried on playing after every single player was fit again.  It may have affected our momentum but not to the degree that we only win a handful of games over the rest of the season.  Losing Jack also has nothing to do with Covid and seems to happen once a season.  We have to sign other quality players and be better prepared for it. I would ask the question: is Dean getting enough out of the players?

Regardless of any excuses offered, the second half of the season was nearly as bad as last season!
I don’t think any of us would disagree that our form has been poor since Christmas. But the same manager had us playing the best football in years up to that point whilst bringing in new and exciting talent as the start of a much needed rebuild. Yet people overlook that point and suggest that very same manager is the cause of the poor form, despite the squad having a Covid outbreak, a generally weak squad depth and losing his best player for three months!! Maybe that’s the cause of poor end to the season????

We strengthened the squad in January Allan, we bought the wrong type of player in Sanson when we needed a strong defensive midfielder.  We can all see it yet Dean can’t?  Same manager, same tactics. To be fair we also showed at times, against Southampton and Leeds how poor we can be even in the first half of the season.  I appreciate that Rome wasn’t built in a day and we are still a side in assembly phase but having spent what we have, I’d expect 11th as the minimum. 

Would any other manager sustained the start that we made?

Smith played his first choice into the ground in the first half of the season. That's the primary reason for fatigue in Feb/March, despite Deano (in his best Mike Bassett impression) saying he didn't believe in player fatigue around that time. He failed to rotate, failed to even make subs a lot of the time and lost a couple of decent players to loan. Mitigating factors include Grealish's injury, Sanson injured/lack of impact but that only explains so much. One of his big signings, Barkley, was meant to share the attacking burden but has turned out to be an expensive flop.

While all focus has been on the inability to mitigate the impact of Grealish being unavailable, the big change for me is that once opposition teams started pressing our midfield two, we had no answer tactically. It was the same in the second half v Palace. Forced to go direct, taking our two wingers out of the game and relying on Watkins ropey enough first touch. Smith has had no answer there. This was a problem before Grealish's injury, games like Southampton away he had little or no support and carried us on his back. That wasn't remotely sustainable.

Irrespective of the final two games Smith will get a pass for this season and deservedly so. But he will be very much starting under pressure next season. If this current form were to continue into a slow start next season then I'd like to see a quick change made. In all honesty, succession planning should already be starting.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #13013 on: May 18, 2021, 06:15:55 AM »
That’s a fair analysis brontebilly.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13014 on: May 18, 2021, 06:29:02 AM »
I’m very much Smith in but he will definitely start next season under pressure.

If Smith does go, then I fully expect John Terry to be promoted. This is probably the only reason he hasn’t left and got a managers job already.

Second favourite for the job will probably be Southgate so we need to be careful what we wish for!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #13015 on: May 18, 2021, 07:39:54 AM »
The managers available when you're a mid table Championship team, and those when you're a big spending Premier League outfit will be very, very different.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #13016 on: May 18, 2021, 09:21:06 AM »
Smith played his first choice into the ground in the first half of the season. That's the primary reason for fatigue in Feb/March, despite Deano (in his best Mike Bassett impression) saying he didn't believe in player fatigue around that time. He failed to rotate, failed to even make subs a lot of the time and lost a couple of decent players to loan. Mitigating factors include Grealish's injury, Sanson injured/lack of impact but that only explains so much. One of his big signings, Barkley, was meant to share the attacking burden but has turned out to be an expensive flop.
While all focus has been on the inability to mitigate the impact of Grealish being unavailable, the big change for me is that once opposition teams started pressing our midfield two, we had no answer tactically. It was the same in the second half v Palace. Forced to go direct, taking our two wingers out of the game and relying on Watkins ropey enough first touch. Smith has had no answer there. This was a problem before Grealish's injury, games like Southampton away he had little or no support and carried us on his back. That wasn't remotely sustainable.
Irrespective of the final two games Smith will get a pass for this season and deservedly so. But he will be very much starting under pressure next season. If this current form were to continue into a slow start next season then I'd like to see a quick change made. In all honesty, succession planning should already be starting.
Interesting analysis.
On the CP post-match thread, I offered that we made the mistake of continuing to try and play wide even as Palace were overrunning us; and continued to do so even after the poor Traore went off. As things became more compressed, I think we should have made the game narrower by bringing in central midfielders on to replace the wide players, and use the fullbacks for the width we may have needed. My reasoning is that we play too open often, particularly when we're in the lead: it seems naive - perhaps laudable - but it has done for us in a number of games this season.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #13017 on: May 18, 2021, 09:56:04 AM »
Interesting analysis.
On the CP post-match thread, I offered that we made the mistake of continuing to try and play wide even as Palace were overrunning us; and continued to do so even after the poor Traore went off. As things became more compressed, I think we should have made the game narrower by bringing in central midfielders on to replace the wide players, and use the fullbacks for the width we may have needed. My reasoning is that we play too open often, particularly when we're in the lead: it seems naive - perhaps laudable - but it has done for us in a number of games this season.

Traore is a liability on the right wing. Could have tried shifting McGinn out there, drop Ramsey in, anything really. Neither Luis or McGinn are disciplined enough either. Last few minutes of Everton game, Luiz bombs forward leaving a huge space behind. Everton counter and McGinn is forced to take a yellow. The day of playing a midfield two with one sitting and one pushing forward are over. Especially with likes of Traore and Barkley in the team. To be fair to AEG, he is putting in more of a shift getting back these days.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #13018 on: May 18, 2021, 10:30:44 AM »
I'm a bit late on this but in the last 24 league games (i.e. since Christmas) our record is

7W, 6D, 11L

To put that in context it is midtable form over that period not relegation form as many on here like to suggest, over a season that would be 42-43 points. I've said a few times I think we're only marginally short of where we want to be, despite how the match threads look there's only been a handful of games where we haven't looked capable of taking the points (both Man City games for example but then that's true for almost every team in the league).

A decent summer, another year of experience for the squad and a bit of self-reflection from the coaches on what they could do better and I think we'll be well in the mix for Europe next season. With the supposedly huge budget and the philosophy of signing players on the way up I don't get why so many people are so negative. Sunday was disappointing, we should've been well ahead by half-time and never should've been bullied so easily in the 2nd half (it was a perfect example of why we need a big mean bastard in midfield though) but I still think we've come on a long way this season and there are more positives than negatives from the year as a whole.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #13019 on: May 18, 2021, 10:34:18 AM »
Lower midtable, I'd argue. Only just beating 40 points. Not arguing that we've considerably improved this season overall, but this calendar year has been clearly inadequate.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal