collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 11:26:13 AM]

Kits 23/24 by ian c.
[Today at 11:20:31 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 11:19:14 AM]

Nicolò Zaniolo SIGNED (on loan) by chrisw1
[Today at 11:06:04 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by sid1964
[Today at 10:07:04 AM]

International Rugby by paul_e
[Today at 10:06:23 AM]

Games Moved for TV by olaftab
[Today at 09:19:58 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Clark W Griswold
[Today at 11:26:13 AM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 11:23:06 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by ian c.
[Today at 11:20:31 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 11:19:14 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 11:17:11 AM]

[Today at 11:16:52 AM]

Re: FFP by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 11:15:56 AM]

[Today at 11:14:09 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1518034 times)

Offline steamer

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #12915 on: May 16, 2021, 06:46:01 PM »
Someone said earlier, there is a structure behind Dean, Not like when Oneil was in charge
I think we all want Dean to succeed , investment in midfield and creative forwards is there for all to be seen
If we start next season like we are ending this one, I am sure the owners will have a plan B
\Look at Chelsea, nobody could have been more popular than frank yet he got the chop
I am sure like any professional organisation there is a succession plan in place

Offline Villan82

« Reply #12916 on: May 16, 2021, 06:53:34 PM »
Earlier this season we were all saying how disappointed we would be to finish behind a really poor Arsenal team. Well, we really have just sunk - 6 points behind them with two to play.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12917 on: May 16, 2021, 07:34:44 PM »
I don’t see how a club with aspirations of European football can have a manager that loses so many points from winning positions.smith obviously has talent in preparing and coaching the team but useless at game management.
He has no idea how to close a game out

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #12918 on: May 16, 2021, 07:38:47 PM »
Pre-Covid we lost 0 points from winning positions and post Covid we've lost 19.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12919 on: May 16, 2021, 07:40:43 PM »
so it’s still down to Covid?

Online tomd2103

« Reply #12920 on: May 16, 2021, 07:49:01 PM »
I really don't think there is any "decision" to be made this summer.  This is the end of his 3rd season with us, and we have improved in each and every one of those seasons. Yes, there have been stretches of incredible form, and stretches of very poor form - but season-on-season, we're improving.

Now, that said, we are now very much at the point where the law of diminishing returns REALLY kicks in. It is a LOT easier to go from 17th to 11th, than it is to go from 11th into the top 6.  The pressure will really be on next season, particularly if we've invested a reasonable amount again this summer, and if we look like still being a midtable side by Xmas (and there aren't some obvious reasons that are beyond Dean's control), then I think his time might be up. 

But I'm very hopeful that with another couple of additions we will be genuine European candidates next season.

Agree.  I think we somewhat overachieved in the first half of the season and underachieved in the second half.  What I do think has to be considered when judging Dean Smith’s performance this season is that we still aren’t really there squad wise and Grealish’s injury coupled with Barkley’s non-performance have hit us pretty hard. 

All that said, I think he has achieved what was expected this season and as a result I think questions about his future are a little unreasonable really.  He needs the chance to work with a strengthened squad next season, but I think the expectations will be that we will be firmly ensconced in the top ten and competitive in cup competitions.  If he can’t manage that with the additional resources that are expected to arrive this summer, then I think questions could be asked at that point. 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #12921 on: May 16, 2021, 08:00:18 PM »

Think that statistic demonstrates it was a significant event in the season. There's been other factors too, there is no single cause for the up and down nature of the season. But 9 of our players contracting a disease isn't too handy.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12922 on: May 16, 2021, 08:15:52 PM »

Think that statistic demonstrates it was a significant event in the season. There's been other factors too, there is no single cause for the up and down nature of the season. But 9 of our players contracting a disease isn't too handy.
I don’t think any one can deny it had an impact.
I just don’t think it can continue to excuse such poor returns from winning positions over 2 seasons.
He never seems to make a proactive decision, at best it’s reactive at worst passive and indecisive.

Offline john2710

« Reply #12923 on: May 16, 2021, 08:21:02 PM »
The player's we recruit over the summer won't be down to Smith, so it's not a case of trusting him with £100m.

His job is to get a tune out of the player's at his disposal & over almost 3 seasons he's just about done that. I think the owners will give him the chance.

Next season practically all of the sub-standard players will be moved on. But if we don't deliver Smith will be gone.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #12924 on: May 16, 2021, 08:43:03 PM »

I just don’t think it can continue to excuse such poor returns from winning positions over 2 seasons.
He never seems to make a proactive decision, at best it’s reactive at worst passive and indecisive.

He never seems to make a proactive decision apart from the times he has and we’ve won games, or again are the numerous games we’ve won only down to the players and not Smith, in which case he can’t win with you and the same posters on here who wanted him gone last season.

There is nothing surer than Smith will get the sack at some point, it’s the nature of the beast of the last 40 odd years, unless your Alex Ferguson, or we really progress quickly and he moves on from us. However, despite the disappointments of 2021, he has done a good job and progressed us. He’s suffered this year from losing his biggest big game player for 1/3 of the season and one of his others being a gamble that has not paid off. Let’s see who we get in, who we let go and how we do next season. Talk of getting rid now, strikes me as the kind of over privileged stuff, ‘we’re Aston Villa don’t you know who we are’. we’ve heard this kind of stuff from some Wolves fans moaning about Nuno.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2021, 08:47:22 PM by RamboandBruno »

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12925 on: May 16, 2021, 08:50:43 PM »

He never seems to make a proactive decision apart from the times he has and we’ve won games, or again are the numerous games we’ve won only down to the players and not Smith, in which case he can’t win with you and the same posters on here who wanted him gone last season.

There is nothing surer than Smith will get the sack at some point, it’s the nature of the beast of the last 40 odd years, unless your Alex Ferguson, or we really progress quickly and he moves on from us. However, despite the disappointments of 2021, he has done a good job and progressed us. He’s suffered this year from losing his biggest big game player for 1/3 of the season and one of his others being a gamble that has paid off. Let’s see who we get in, who we let go and how we do next season. Talk of getting rid now, strikes me as the kind of over privileged stuff, ‘we’re Aston Villa don’t you know who we are’. we’ve heard this kind of stuff from some Wolves fans moaning about Nuno.
do You need  to see the stats regarding losing points from winning positions?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #12926 on: May 16, 2021, 08:59:07 PM »
Dean's done well but that shouldn't stop the owners from trying to recruit someone better.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #12927 on: May 16, 2021, 09:05:33 PM »

There is nothing surer than Smith will get the sack at some point, it’s the nature of the beast of the last 40 odd years, unless your Alex Ferguson, or we really progress quickly and he moves on from us. However, despite the disappointments of 2021, he has done a good job and progressed us. He’s suffered this year from losing his biggest big game player for 1/3 of the season and one of his others being a gamble that has paid off. Let’s see who we get in, who we let go and how we do next season. Talk of getting rid now, strikes me as the kind of over privileged stuff, ‘we’re Aston Villa don’t you know who we are’. we’ve heard this kind of stuff from some Wolves fans moaning about Nuno.

Nope I’m capable of reading and absorbing those stats myself, just as I’m capable of reading the stats relating to the games we’ve won. You can use the stats in whichever way you want and you’ve wanted Smith out since last year apart from a brief interlude of non criticism pre new year. I’m sure you’ll get your wish at some point and you’ll be pleased enough.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12928 on: May 16, 2021, 09:26:06 PM »

Nope I’m capable of reading and absorbing those stats myself, just as I’m capable of reading the stats relating to the games we’ve won. You can use the stats in whichever way you want and you’ve wanted Smith out since last year apart from a brief interlude of non criticism pre new year. I’m sure you’ll get your wish at some point and you’ll be pleased enough.
you obviously have a very selective memory.

Offline nigel

« Reply #12929 on: May 16, 2021, 09:29:20 PM »
Earlier this season we were all saying how disappointed we would be to finish behind a really poor Arsenal team. Well, we really have just sunk - 6 points behind them with two to play.

Whereas we started the season like an express train then ran out of steam, Arsenal started the season poorly and have gradually got better, Liverpool also started poorly, but quickly got up to speed.

Yes, it probably is a poor Arsenal side, considering how they’ve been in the past, but they’re still a very good team

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal