collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:25:34 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522128 times)

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #12570 on: May 05, 2021, 04:53:48 PM »
Yes 8-10th finish fantastic as below half way, bottom half, would be disappointing and not fair on Dean in many ways so hoping can push now to season end.
Think overall he's progressing the team and already excited for next season.
Been some wonderful moments this
Go on Deano!
Up the Villa!

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #12571 on: May 05, 2021, 11:40:08 PM »
It would be lovely to see some of the kids play.  But looking from Smiths point of view, before the Everton game his team had won 4 games in 20 and we were pretty much in relegation form since Boxing Day.  I can see why he may have felt the need to try and get some positive results before the end of the season was more pressing than blooding youngsters, for job security reasons if nothing else. 

Hopefully the Everton result will give him confidence he has the breathing space he needs.  But even so with the fixtures we have and our desire to finish as high as possible, I wouldn't be surprised if those three don't make an appearance this season.  I feel if he was going to play Kesler then the Cash suspension was the time to do it.
I think we know that Smith is not a risk taker.

Think it was quite risky to carry on playing Barkley considering how bad he’s been prior to the Everton game.
I agree with ChrisW on this, I think whilst there is an outside chance of Europe, he’ll continue to play what he perceives as his best side and fair enough if my book. Unless by some miracle Jack is back, why change a side that played so well last weekend.  If we only pick up one point or maybe none from the Man U and Everton games, he might give a couple of those kids some minutes for the last 3 games.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #12572 on: May 06, 2021, 01:36:14 PM »
It would be lovely to see some of the kids play.  But looking from Smiths point of view, before the Everton game his team had won 4 games in 20 and we were pretty much in relegation form since Boxing Day.  I can see why he may have felt the need to try and get some positive results before the end of the season was more pressing than blooding youngsters, for job security reasons if nothing else. 

Hopefully the Everton result will give him confidence he has the breathing space he needs.  But even so with the fixtures we have and our desire to finish as high as possible, I wouldn't be surprised if those three don't make an appearance this season.  I feel if he was going to play Kesler then the Cash suspension was the time to do it.
I think we know that Smith is not a risk taker.

He did progress Ramsey over the likes of Hourihane earlier in the season to be fair. But it was somewhat strange that Elmo was selected recently when Cash was out. Elmo had a solid game but if the Kesler kid is as promising as made out on here surely it was an ideal time to bring him in.

I guess Smith like probably all managers in the top division are primarily focused on results. Pathways for youth are all well and good in principle but not a priority for a first team coach. I just sincerely hope we get decent loans for some of these kids next season and not let them stagnate like O'Hare, Green and Davis did in recent times.

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #12573 on: May 06, 2021, 05:36:30 PM »
Chukwemeka is clearly a big talent but the demands that Smith stick him in the team are a bit daft. We have an experienced coaching team who know whether a player is ready or not.

He is a stand out player at under 18 level and clearly too good for most players of his age. However, according to Pravda he has 1 goal in 16 for the U23s. We have already fast tracked him up to that level so he is on a 'pathway'. But is a big leap from there to the first team let alone the U18s.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #12574 on: May 06, 2021, 05:51:17 PM »
I think it’s really difficult to know when to give youngsters game time unless they are really special and by that I mean Rooney, Owen, Foden type special
I don’t know if we have any at that level yet

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #12575 on: May 06, 2021, 05:57:19 PM »
Chukwemeka is clearly a big talent but the demands that Smith stick him in the team are a bit daft. We have an experienced coaching team who know whether a player is ready or not.

He is a stand out player at under 18 level and clearly too good for most players of his age. However, according to Pravda he has 1 goal in 16 for the U23s. We have already fast tracked him up to that level so he is on a 'pathway'. But is a big leap from there to the first team let alone the U18s.

That doesn't really mean much though, at U23 level he plays deeper. People aren't calling for him to get game time just because he's scoring goals.

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #12576 on: May 06, 2021, 06:19:38 PM »
Granted, I meant to ask if anyone has seen him enough to know how he fares in the under 23s week to week? But he is playing above his age group - which appears to be our strategy with the teens - and it is still a leap to the first team. We have integrated him into the first team squad and he's getting closer but the coaching team will know when he's ready.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #12577 on: May 06, 2021, 06:22:33 PM »
The younger players will have, I sincerely hope, a planned progression that will have review points built in along the way.  Unless they have an "Eureka" moment along that path there is no real reason to suddenly cannon them into the first team barring a massive injury crisis.  The youngsters appearances on the bench are more likely to give them an insight into the experience of matchday routines before their first game day.  Incremental exposure to the rigours of full time football, and wisely so, sink or swim is effective only as long as the outcome is "swim".

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12578 on: May 06, 2021, 06:28:04 PM »
A number of the youngsters held up pretty well in the FA cup.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #12579 on: May 06, 2021, 08:34:00 PM »
If he did play the kids and they got slaughtered, so would he. I can see why he's going with what he feels is his best team.

Anyway, he's bringing Ramsey through nicely, which would suggest he's not averse to integrating the youngsters when he feels they are ready.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #12580 on: May 06, 2021, 11:51:04 PM »
Beat Man U, for once. Worry about bringing the kids through after that.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #12581 on: May 07, 2021, 12:42:27 AM »
I'd love to see Barry get some minutes in the last few games. Of course he's still developing but way he took his goal v experienced Liverpool defence was very special.

In the long run we'll send a few of them out on loan next season I think. That's pretty much why we appointed Jedinak so up to him to find the right clubs for them to get 20-30 starts as they'll come back better for it.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #12582 on: May 07, 2021, 03:21:26 PM »
If he did play the kids and they got slaughtered, so would he. I can see why he's going with what he feels is his best team.

Anyway, he's bringing Ramsey through nicely, which would suggest he's not averse to integrating the youngsters when he feels they are ready.
Great point, the management of Ramsey has been excellent and will be beneficial to the player in the long run. He clearly isn’t ready for 90 minutes week in week out yet.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #12583 on: May 09, 2021, 04:31:34 PM »
How many points have we lost from winning positions?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #12584 on: May 09, 2021, 04:39:09 PM »
How many points have we lost from winning positions?

Compared to years gone by that we were in winning positions should be commended, no?

#silverlinings

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal