collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1521944 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #11370 on: March 05, 2021, 02:54:18 PM »
Brookes is a no from me, he might make it but there too much uncertainty. I want our next signing to be a real statement, I put a few names on another thread and they're all the level we should be aiming for, the sort of players that you wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea/Liverpool/Man City/etc were looking at. It'll be hard to get someone like that but it's the right way to go about keeping Jack and taking another big step forward next year.

My aim would be 2 big £35-40m signings in attacking midfield/up front and then a couple of Sanson level signings in the more defensive spots. The latter would be youngsters to develop behind what is currently a strong first choice defence/DM whilst the first 2 would be to com straight into the mix for starting places to replace Barkley and compete with Watkins, Traore and Jack as a replacement for 1 of Trez or AEG. I like both of them but neither is top6 standard.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #11371 on: March 05, 2021, 03:04:21 PM »
Brookes is a no from me, he might make it but there too much uncertainty. I want our next signing to be a real statement, I put a few names on another thread and they're all the level we should be aiming for, the sort of players that you wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea/Liverpool/Man City/etc were looking at. It'll be hard to get someone like that but it's the right way to go about keeping Jack and taking another big step forward next year.

My aim would be 2 big £35-40m signings in attacking midfield/up front and then a couple of Sanson level signings in the more defensive spots. The latter would be youngsters to develop behind what is currently a strong first choice defence/DM whilst the first 2 would be to com straight into the mix for starting places to replace Barkley and compete with Watkins, Traore and Jack as a replacement for 1 of Trez or AEG. I like both of them but neither is top6 standard.

I imagine they may look at Brookes if Bournemouth are in a bit of financial bother if not promoted, we seem to have a keen eye for that kind of thing at present, and would allow us to offload one of Trez/Anwar and bring in the kind of signing you want alongside him.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #11372 on: March 05, 2021, 03:14:21 PM »
Berge from Sheff Utd is one we're considering I think. We'll have far too many midfielders soon, instead of Right Backs we'll have Central Midfielders everywhere.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #11373 on: March 05, 2021, 03:22:16 PM »
Berge from Sheff Utd is one we're considering I think. We'll have far too many midfielders soon, instead of Right Backs we'll have Central Midfielders everywhere.

He'd be replacing Doug you'd think, should Citeh take him back.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #11374 on: March 05, 2021, 03:28:49 PM »
I don't think we will sign Barkley and I imagine Hourihane will move on permanently. Nakamba is good but in my opinion of the quality to be at a club aspiring to be top 6. We will need better and Berge would improve our depth.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11375 on: March 05, 2021, 03:31:42 PM »
I have a horrible feeling that Konsa will be the the subject of a large bid from one of the big lads, and will obviously want to go.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #11376 on: March 05, 2021, 03:35:18 PM »
I have a horrible feeling that Konsa will be the the subject of a large bid from one of the big lads, and will obviously want to go.

We are one of the big clubs in terms of resources and ability to keep our players. I don't get where you feel he will want to go after less than one full season as a starter.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #11377 on: March 05, 2021, 03:44:55 PM »

We are one of the big clubs in terms of resources and ability to keep our players. I don't get where you feel he will want to go after less than one full season as a starter.

Players find it difficult to turn down Liverpool or Man United.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #11378 on: March 05, 2021, 04:00:17 PM »
Why obviously???

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #11379 on: March 05, 2021, 04:04:05 PM »
Why obviously???

The chance to go from a mid-table side to one that has a realistic chance of being European champions. I'm not being down on us, but I'm guessing he didn't grow up as a Villa fan and has a dispassionate view of his future prospects.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #11380 on: March 05, 2021, 04:10:14 PM »
Why obviously???

The chance to go from a mid-table side to one that has a realistic chance of being European champions. I'm not being down on us, but I'm guessing he didn't grow up as a Villa fan and has a dispassionate view of his future prospects.

He's not going to Man City, so no problem there.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #11381 on: March 05, 2021, 04:21:26 PM »
We seem to do a good job of trying to sell our own better players and I just don't get it.
When the media (tv, newspapers) are so stacked against us holding onto ours stars, we then also add to this speculation by saying such and such a player will have their heads turned by one of the sky 6.
As a club we are going places. It won't happen overnight and if our stars believe in the project they won't want to go anywhere.
I just think we need to be focussing on the next Rashford, Foden, Salah coming here and let desperate story writers come up with their own versions of what's happening at VP without adding to their diatribe.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #11382 on: March 05, 2021, 04:24:26 PM »
We seem to do a good job of trying to sell our own better players and I just don't get it.
When the media (tv, newspapers) are so stacked against us holding onto ours stars, we then also add to this speculation by saying such and such a player will have their heads turned by one of the sky 6.
As a club we are going places. It won't happen overnight and if our stars believe in the project they won't want to go anywhere.
I just think we need to be focussing on the next Rashford, Foden, Salah coming here and let desperate story writers come up with their own versions of what's happening at VP without adding to their diatribe.

I can confirm that I don't have the ear of Ezri Konsa.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #11383 on: March 05, 2021, 04:34:12 PM »
One of the advantages of buying players with the right age profile is that we've now got a squad where most of them have room to improve. If w can continue to invest our players in the idea that we're growing together I think we can keep hold of everyone we want to for another season at least, so long as we get some form back and keep in the race for Europe this season, even if we do fall short. Next season would then be about securing top 6 and moving on from there.

We can get that loyalty because someone like Konsa will still be a couple of years short of his 'prime' in the summer of 2022 so giving us that extra season won't stop him from achieving everything he wants to.

The alternative is to take the jump earlier and risk being a bit part player for a few years and seeing yourself go backwards, Barkley should be a perfect warning for everyone in the squad.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #11384 on: March 05, 2021, 05:02:15 PM »

I can confirm that I don't have the ear of Ezri Konsa.

Phew that's a relief. I'd hate for him to be without it.
Seriously though holding onto our better players is all I want us to do as a club. Time will tell.
Have a good w/e!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal