collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:36:32 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:27:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1517761 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #11310 on: March 03, 2021, 09:52:52 PM »
Another lazy team selection and then not reacting when it wasn’t working.

Nakamba is not needed against poorer sides when you will have more of the ball, he can't do anything with it. Having said that neither could McGinn. Really poor the central midfielders tonight.

We haven't scored more than 1 goal in our last 7 games. The rhythm isn't right in Midfield at the moment. Time for Sanson to be given his bow.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #11311 on: March 03, 2021, 09:53:18 PM »
The top 4 is occupied by 1 manager who has medals that didn't come out of a Christmas cracker.

That's what makes the inconsistency so annoying though. Really good chance to break into the European places this year, but every time we look like doing so, we throw in another hopeless performance. Goal scoring is also becoming a real problem.

I think that's more down to squad strength though Risso than Smiths ability or otherwise. He got it badly wrong tonight in my view with a really naive and timid team selection against the team bottom of the table. This wasn't the night for faint hearts but its what we got. Hopefully he learns from it, which to be fair he seems to from previous fuck ups he's made. As you say though so frustrating when we are so close to doing something really good.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #11312 on: March 03, 2021, 10:00:04 PM »
We keep talking about Smith learning, I want him to learn what is wrong in the first half and change it in the second half.
Is that too much to ask?

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
« Reply #11313 on: March 03, 2021, 10:11:02 PM »
Is it one win and one draw from games when we’ve gone behind over the last two seasons? Nobody could question that the improvement has been huge, but the lack of tactical changes during games is quite a big problem. I know he put Davis on tonight but other than that it’s normally just like for like substitute meaning it never forces the opposition to change what they’re doing. If we start games ok, generally things go pretty well. But because of the lack of changes during games, if things start badly they tend to continue badly which is reflected in the fact our record is so poor when we fall behind

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11314 on: March 03, 2021, 10:48:47 PM »
He’s took us as far as he can.  If we’ve got aspirations of being a top 6 club the owners need to get rid in the summer. To be a top 6 club you need a top manager, deano ain’t it I’m afraid

Utterly clueless comments. Smith deserves some criticism for tonights "performance" but to suggest we need to get rid, deary me.

Not clueless at all, if you think dean smith previously of Brentford and wallsall is the man to take us forward your the clueless one.

He's done nothing but take us forward. From bottom half Championship to promoted, to staying up with a final, to top half side.

What the fuck does it matter if he was at Walsall or Brentford? He's at Aston fucking Villa and doing an excellent job.

Well said, Ads.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #11315 on: March 03, 2021, 10:59:27 PM »
We keep talking about Smith learning, I want him to learn what is wrong in the first half and change it in the second half.
Is that too much to ask?

I can be as critical about Smith as anyone but I'm struggling to understand some of the criticism here tonight.

I didn't think there was much wrong with the first half performance, poor goal conceded aside. What did you think was wrong with it? We certainly started the second half very well so I can see why he delayed the subs maybe a bit longer than they should have been. But unfortunately the likes of Sanson and Barkley didn't really make much of an impact.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #11316 on: March 03, 2021, 11:24:08 PM »
He is blinkered with his appraisal of certain players and use of tactical substitutions at the right time but to get rid of him? After what we have achieved since the end of last season? Utter nonsense.

Yep. Utter nonsense.

However I'm a bit nonplussed by those saying they wouldn't be that unhappy finishing 12-14th given it would've been some as progress in September. Perhaps not so much on here but on other forums I've seen that line peddled out a bit.

Yes the last few weeks have been sticky but we were playing some excellent football up to January and we've been out of the top half for about two weeks all seen so would be massive disappointment just to jack off the season now we're pretty much on 40 points.

Dosen't exactly give the right sort of mentality to team who wants to finish top 6 in next 2 years. You do that by finishing 8th this season which I still think is realistic position and so then you're on the verge of breaking through if you can get 2-3 of quality we got in last summer. Grealish certainly wouldn't be happy finishing below 10th this season so we need more of that mentality going forward.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #11317 on: March 03, 2021, 11:57:07 PM »
As disappointing as the SU result was I'm a big believer in you learn far more from your defeats than you do from your victories. This game encapsulated where we need improvement. This is not about the next few games it’s more to do with recruitment this Summer and where we are lacking.

We need better more consistent players in key areas and far more to change games from the bench. We have the nucleus of 6/7 players in the first XI to play in a top 4 side, the rest just don’t quite cut it. Tonight showed all this to both management and owners.

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #11318 on: March 04, 2021, 12:23:15 AM »
As disappointing as the SU result was I'm a big believer in you learn far more from your defeats than you do from your victories. This game encapsulated where we need improvement. This is not about the next few games it’s more to do with recruitment this Summer and where we are lacking.

We need better more consistent players in key areas and far more to change games from the bench. We have the nucleus of 6/7 players in the first XI to play in a top 4 side, the rest just don’t quite cut it. Tonight showed all this to both management and owners.

I think the next stage of growth is one of the hardest. We'll have some tough, brutal decisions to make about some extremely popular players who have played a huge role in our recovery over the last half decade. I guess this process has already started with the likes of Hourihane and others have been relegated to bit part players ahead of a likely departure next season. But it'll be the likes of McGinn next if we want to kick on and that's tough.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #11319 on: March 04, 2021, 12:24:34 AM »

Which is why we'll see next-level spending in the summer. In 2019 we were buying players for £10 million, last summer it was generally £20 million. Does anyone seriously think we'll start next season with Wesley still as our record signing, or even in the top three?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #11320 on: March 04, 2021, 12:31:52 AM »
Ollie is our record signing but there is no chance he will be come the end of August. I fully expect it to be in the £40m plus range.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #11321 on: March 04, 2021, 07:12:18 AM »
The owners have not chucked £400 million + into our club to finish mid table or below

Dean will need a strong finish to the season or next season he will be under a lot of pressure to keep his job if we make a poor start

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #11322 on: March 04, 2021, 07:22:06 AM »
Ollie is our record signing but there is no chance he will be come the end of August. I fully expect it to be in the £40m plus range.

As evidenced by thinking whether Barkley is worth £35 million or not? Yes that’s my view. 

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #11323 on: March 04, 2021, 07:50:20 AM »
Next level spending and improvements from where we were two years ago are all good things to hear
But the elephant in the room is Jack Grealish

He is the reason we are where we are not Smith
We would never have got promotion without Grealish we would have gone down last season without Grealish and we are 9th in the league this season because of Grealish

for me we win last night with Grealish that’s the difference
Yes I know we will lose some games with him in and win some games without him but the stats will back me up on this

I know every team has players that are more important to them than others but Grealish is bigger than all our players and management put together
Do you want to see what we are like without him
Well Sheffield United with 10 men will give you a good idea

No ideas on the pitch no ideas off the pitch
If Grealish plays we win we come off thinking everyone is great
He has an average game against West Ham and Brighton and we lose one and fail to score In the other

Keeping Grealish is the key to everything going forward not Smith

There is no other team in the Premier League more reliant on one man than we are
People who have watched Villa for all their lives say he is the best they’ve ever seen or certainly one of them

It would be a tragedy if he doesn’t play his football at the highest level
I want that level to be with Villa
And that’s why we need European football this year

All this happy with mid-table because of how far we’ve come will mean nothing If Grealish moves on
We will be back to square one

Jack Grealish is the reason why we are where we are
Everyone else has helped including Smith who’s done a good job so far

But everyone the team and management are exposed when Grealish doesn’t play
we see how good we really are and where were you really are

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #11324 on: March 04, 2021, 08:06:20 AM »
By season's end Dean will have achieved/exceeded this season's targets set by the owners and he certainly will get my support and congratulations. New players will be brought in during the off season and new targets will be set for Dean and his staff, which will require us stepping up another level and which I hope Dean will also achieve, but I'm under no illusions that if he doesn't the owners will act. Managers come and go just like players; it's a statement of the obvious. The owners have already shown that they mean business where Villa is concerned and I trust them to make the right decisions at the right time. As for those posters planting the seed of doubt re Dean after what he's achieved in such a short space of time tut tut tut!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal