collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 08:48:04 AM]

Re: FFP by cdward
[Today at 08:44:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1521866 times)

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #11025 on: January 21, 2021, 09:55:58 PM »
Selective quoting of what Mings actually said there.
Never even heard of that rule, just let players stand offside, then run back & tackle you? In hindsight I should’ve cleared it, 100%, but didn’t even know that was the case. Nonsense
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:00:04 PM by SheffieldVillain »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #11026 on: January 21, 2021, 10:02:51 PM »
I mean we could have got hammered last night, not that we played poorly but we met a world class side bang in form. I'm kind of at peace with the result, if not a dodgy decision it would have been a last minute worldy, I just don't think we would have held out especially with Taylor on for Targett and Mings having that one rick a game in him.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #11027 on: January 21, 2021, 10:07:13 PM »
Deano and the rest of the club would be better getting an ex referee on the payroll simply to educate us rightly or wrongly on rule changes and their effect.  Sorry but we fucked up last night - Okay the rule is a farce agreed but we should have been fully aware. 

And before anyone starts I am in agreement that the linesman in normal times would have had his flag up.

Peter Walton hadn't got a clue when it happened.
It was obvious that they were scrambling around trying to find some way of justifying the goal and came up with this pathetic "receiving" thing.

We were royally f****d last night with that decision.

Offline SheffieldVillain

« Reply #11028 on: January 21, 2021, 10:13:04 PM »
Deano and the rest of the club would be better getting an ex referee on the payroll simply to educate us rightly or wrongly on rule changes and their effect.  Sorry but we fucked up last night - Okay the rule is a farce agreed but we should have been fully aware. 

And before anyone starts I am in agreement that the linesman in normal times would have had his flag up.

Peter Walton hadn't got a clue when it happened.
It was obvious that they were scrambling around trying to find some way of justifying the goal and came up with this pathetic "receiving" thing.

We were royally f****d last night with that decision.

In addition, if that is 'the rule' then the exact opposite decision being given here in the same situation, on the same night, is a bit weird, no? https://twitter.com/mrjakehumphrey/status/1352035544742690816

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #11029 on: January 21, 2021, 10:23:21 PM »
“What I said for the red card doesn’t need to be censored, it wasn’t swearing. He came over and said ‘I’m interpreting the laws of the game’, and I said ‘you should’ve done that earlier in the game’.

Thats quality from Smith and also shiws how thin skinned Moss is.

Why does a Premier League referee have to interpret the laws. Shouldn't he know them.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #11030 on: January 22, 2021, 09:15:42 AM »

Maps of our average positions against City this week and last season. It appears the players are more disciplined and sticking well to tactics. Smith has us well organised now.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #11031 on: January 22, 2021, 09:18:35 AM »
Our fullbacks a lot more forward last season. Targett and Guilbert I presume. I don't think Citeh attacked in such waves last year as they did the other night.

Online Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11032 on: January 22, 2021, 09:23:18 AM »

Maps of our average positions against City this week and last season. It appears the players are more disciplined and sticking well to tactics. Smith has us well organised now.

Thats quite interesting.  You can see last season how our full backs were pulled out of position and how bunched our midfield was

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #11033 on: January 22, 2021, 09:27:21 AM »
Definitely trying to play higher up the pitch and with structure and sticking to the job. Shows trust in each other too I think.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #11034 on: January 22, 2021, 09:38:38 AM »
“What I said for the red card doesn’t need to be censored, it wasn’t swearing. He came over and said ‘I’m interpreting the laws of the game’, and I said ‘you should’ve done that earlier in the game’.

Why does a Premier League referee have to interpret the laws. Shouldn't he know them.

I would almost gamble everything I own on all referee's not knowing the laws of the game one hundred percent.  Some of  the laws of the game are ambiguous and therefore open to interpretation.

I am a qualified referee instructor and also former quiz captain of Birmingham Referee's Association where a team of referee's would enter into competition against other Referee's Associations and neither I, my team members or members of other teams ever scored full marks on the laws of the game.  You'd think we could and should but I never saw it.

When contentious issues of this nature happen I'm always reminded of the time a Sunderland player, Bent?  had a shot against Liverpool which hit a beach ball rolling across the pitch and was diverted into the net.  The ref on the day allowed the goal to stand when it should have been disallowed and the game re-started with a dropped ball.  That was a mistake of epic proportions because outside interference on the field of play is basic and elementary but the referee that day either didn't know or, which I believe to be the case forgot.

I am in no way defending Moss or his cohort's for the interpretation of the ambiguity of that offside call but what really annoyed me was that all of them didn't do what all referee's when first attending coaching courses are instructed to do and that is to apply the unwritten eighteenth law...common sense.  They all had plenty of time, the referee, the linesman, fourth official and the prick in the shed at Stockley Park.

Finally, no matter about referee's knowing the laws of the game, my experience tells me, players are even less informed so from a personal point of view I attach no blame whatsoever to Tyrone Mings on this.

Sorry for wittering on.

Offline SheffieldVillain

« Reply #11035 on: January 22, 2021, 09:55:08 AM »
Ha, that takes me back to my refs course Dave (I only reffed for a few months as I didn't really enjoy it). The instructor would always throw in a couple of impossible 'what if...' situations to answer at the end of the session, and 'use your common sense' was always his response.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #11036 on: January 22, 2021, 10:14:31 AM »
Fascinating insight into the shady world of refs!

Thanks Dave Shelley!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #11037 on: January 22, 2021, 11:27:14 AM »

I would almost gamble everything I own on all referee's not knowing the laws of the game one hundred percent.  Some of  the laws of the game are ambiguous and therefore open to interpretation.

I am a qualified referee instructor and also former quiz captain of Birmingham Referee's Association where a team of referee's would enter into competition against other Referee's Associations and neither I, my team members or members of other teams ever scored full marks on the laws of the game.  You'd think we could and should but I never saw it.

When contentious issues of this nature happen I'm always reminded of the time a Sunderland player, Bent?  had a shot against Liverpool which hit a beach ball rolling across the pitch and was diverted into the net.  The ref on the day allowed the goal to stand when it should have been disallowed and the game re-started with a dropped ball.  That was a mistake of epic proportions because outside interference on the field of play is basic and elementary but the referee that day either didn't know or, which I believe to be the case forgot.

I am in no way defending Moss or his cohort's for the interpretation of the ambiguity of that offside call but what really annoyed me was that all of them didn't do what all referee's when first attending coaching courses are instructed to do and that is to apply the unwritten eighteenth law...common sense.  They all had plenty of time, the referee, the linesman, fourth official and the prick in the shed at Stockley Park.

Finally, no matter about referee's knowing the laws of the game, my experience tells me, players are even less informed so from a personal point of view I attach no blame whatsoever to Tyrone Mings on this.

Sorry for wittering on.

Those are very fair points Dave, and I for one love reading your posts from a ref's point of view, as they're informed and interesting. Given that the average VAR review can take at least 4-5 minutes though, couldn't somebody at Stockley Park have had a quick read of the rules, which would have told them that they had interpreted it completely incorrectly. To then come out with this nonsense several hours after is lunacy, as instead of clarifying matters they've now muddied the waters even more in trying to defend the indefensible, and have probably created ten times more problems for refs, as managers will now try to exploit this weakness.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #11038 on: January 22, 2021, 12:38:00 PM »
Martin, they had time to read and digest the Encyclopedia Brittanica let alone the referee's chart (laws of the game).  All joking aside though, there are times in our lives when it is necessary to think on our feet, and refereeing football matches is one of them.  What VAR has done, is to give ref's the chance to actually do that.  What boils my piss over this is that none of the buffoons chose to take full advantage of the opportunity.  What Moss should have done IMO was to have flipped the situation and given the offside and then let the law-makers see what a shit interpretation their original idea was although in fairness this scenario would not have entered their heads.

There's an old adage within the refereeing fraternity and it's this:. Better to give a bad decision than a bad goal.  Moss and the rest would do well to remember that.

Online nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #11039 on: January 22, 2021, 12:49:46 PM »
Thanks for that Dave. The common sense thing is really what is lacking at times. Refs are under such scrutiny they seem to have lost that instinct. I’ve watched football for 50 years and my first instinct was that it looked wrong and that the City player couldn’t do that.

It is of course exacerbated by the linesman not putting the flag up when the clearance was headed back to Mings by the City defender as Rodri would more than likely realise he had to get back onside to be active or we’d have the free kick, as used to be the case.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 12:51:30 PM by nick harper »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal