collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 12:05:47 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522021 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #10980 on: January 21, 2021, 10:56:29 AM »
Will it just be the one game touchline ban Dean gets?
I think so, as they were two yellow cards - albeit one immediately after the other - rather than a straight red.
Moss did not show a second yellow; was the second 'offence' a straight red?

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #10981 on: January 21, 2021, 11:07:39 AM »
He stays in the stands at VP anyway doesn't he? Or atleast he spends alot of time there, probably for a better view.

You're thinking of Henri Lansbury. Badumtsh.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #10982 on: January 21, 2021, 11:11:07 AM »
I think so, as they were two yellow cards - albeit one immediately after the other - rather than a straight red.
Moss did not show a second yellow; was the second 'offence' a straight red?

That's a good point. Haven't a clue.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #10983 on: January 21, 2021, 11:14:58 AM »

Bit optimistic I think.....given he effectively called the ref and I guess his assistant a bunch of clowns and then went onto repeat it at the post match interviews. Only thing in Dean's favour is that if the "rule" will be interpreted in such a way going forward then it truly will bring the game into disrepute. Expect a rule clarification to be issued shortly.

Have we any grounds to challenge the yellow for McGinn? Luiz deserved a yellow and I think everyone at the time presumed he had got it, not McGinn.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #10984 on: January 21, 2021, 11:23:45 AM »
did you get juggling balls for Christmas

Is the greatest line Dean Smith will ever say

Offline Meanwood Villa

« Reply #10985 on: January 21, 2021, 11:29:53 AM »
I suppose you could say he should have kept a cool head but I was proud of him saying what we were all thinking last night.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #10986 on: January 21, 2021, 11:35:30 AM »

Bit optimistic I think.....given he effectively called the ref and I guess his assistant a bunch of clowns and then went onto repeat it at the post match interviews. Only thing in Dean's favour is that if the "rule" will be interpreted in such a way going forward then it truly will bring the game into disrepute. Expect a rule clarification to be issued shortly.

Have we any grounds to challenge the yellow for McGinn? Luiz deserved a yellow and I think everyone at the time presumed he had got it, not McGinn.

I imagine the quotes will lead to a big fine, but think Dean Smith said the ref upgraded the card from yellow to red.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #10987 on: January 21, 2021, 11:42:11 AM »
It was out of character for Smith to act like he did but everyone has a breaking point. He puts a lot of emphasis of emotional control which is admirable but when you stand on the touchline in pissing rain watching your team work so hard against a team and squad assembled for billions, throwing themselves around to stop the ball going in the net, putting their bodies on the line only to see it all go down the shitter because of a refereeing error compounded by the presence of an impotent VAR system being used to back up the officials rather than get decisions correct I'm surprised he didn't boot the ref in the bollocks and fuck off out of it.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #10988 on: January 21, 2021, 11:50:50 AM »
Yeah I agree it was out of character, I wanted him too come out firing after the Westham and Man Utd decisions but he was very level headed about them. Yesterday was a side to him we havent seen very often.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #10989 on: January 21, 2021, 11:57:44 AM »
I am in two minds about this.  On the one hand I do not want him near a Villa game ever again.  But on the other hand I would like to see him in front of a full house at Villa Park and forced to listen to what we think of him.

It's a growing list, Brian. Personally I look forward to Michael Oliver appearing a full Villa Park.

Isnt there another Oliver we dislike who loved MON - a journo at the Daily Mail? I think someone ascertained (probably Damo) that he was Emily Bishop from Coronation Street's son ?

Offline Godfrey Brian

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #10990 on: January 21, 2021, 12:14:15 PM »
Smith has taken another step up in my opinion after last night.  When we complain about decisions going the way of the top 6, it is precisely because they have managers who are prepared to complain in the press and put officials under pressure.  Ferguson did it, Wenger did it, Mourinho, Klopp and Guardiola all do it - other fans hate them for it, but you can't deny they get what they want more often than not.

Smith is a decent man, but last night proved to me more than ever than he also has that mean streak in him that top managers need.  We can't get back the points we were robbed of last night, but the next time there is a marginal decision in one of our games this will be in the ref's mind.
Agreed. There was another part of the interview where he put the troubles of football and players against the greater challenges others are facing currently.  Thought that showed both passion and dignity so soon after the match.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #10991 on: January 21, 2021, 12:16:59 PM »
I am in two minds about this.  On the one hand I do not want him near a Villa game ever again.  But on the other hand I would like to see him in front of a full house at Villa Park and forced to listen to what we think of him.

It's a growing list, Brian. Personally I look forward to Michael Oliver appearing a full Villa Park.

Isnt there another Oliver we dislike who loved MON - a journo at the Daily Mail? I think someone ascertained (probably Damo) that he was Emily Bishop from Coronation Street's son ?

Oliver Holt.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #10992 on: January 21, 2021, 12:18:19 PM »

Oliver Holt. I'm not sure he's earned a Hotle End egging, however.

Online aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #10993 on: January 21, 2021, 12:28:25 PM »

Oliver Holt. I'm not sure he's earned a Hotle End egging, however.

Ooh, I don't really know (about that).

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #10994 on: January 21, 2021, 12:33:49 PM »
That was Mavis.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal