collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522913 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #10560 on: October 25, 2020, 05:15:40 PM »
Why are we shitting it because a team has "looked decent" in one match? We've looked world-beaters at times this season.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #10561 on: October 25, 2020, 05:19:59 PM »
Hope Dean is watching Southampton today. Their intensity is not a million miles away from Leeds'. Can't allow our midfield to be so open otherwise we'll be asking for trouble.

They look really decent don’t they?! Plus they beat us easily twice last season too.

Hopefully we’re up to the challenge on both sides of the touchline.
I think the secret is do not concede first.
I’ve always hated it when we play Southampton. All I even think of is Matt Le Tissier scoring screamers followed by Shane Long scoring his only goal a season against us.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #10562 on: October 25, 2020, 05:38:18 PM »
I suppose I’d better add that I’m not “shitting it” regarding playing them at all.

I’m just noting they’re in good form and have spanked us twice in the last ten months. If we rebound from the Leeds game in the right way, we’ll be more than a match for them.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #10563 on: October 25, 2020, 07:31:55 PM »
Southampton are a very well drilled team Organised team that don’t mind putting their foot in.
Iif they get ahead they are good at killing the game.

The away game last season was one of the worst performances I have seen Villa put in, we were shocking.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #10564 on: October 25, 2020, 07:51:54 PM »
We’ve probably improved since then, CL.
Going by the last 9 matches.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #10565 on: October 26, 2020, 07:33:06 AM »
apart from the media 6 there is a lot of teams this season who are all capable of some decent football and results
Leicester
Everton
Southampton
Leeds
Crystal Palace
Brighton
Wolves
and I’m adding Villa into that mix

That’s 14 teams out if 20 all capable of upsetting the odds and playing winning football
I think the Prem is as strong as it’s ever been in terms of quality in depth

Offline Risso

« Reply #10566 on: October 26, 2020, 08:40:45 AM »
apart from the media 6 there is a lot of teams this season who are all capable of some decent football and results
Leicester
Everton
Southampton
Leeds
Crystal Palace
Brighton
Wolves
and I’m adding Villa into that mix

That’s 14 teams out if 20 all capable of upsetting the odds and playing winning football
I think the Prem is as strong as it’s ever been in terms of quality in depth

Agreed John.  And that's why the likes of Liverpool and Man U are shitting theselves that one of the oiks might beat them to the Champions League places and they really can't be having that, can they?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #10567 on: October 26, 2020, 08:49:13 AM »
Why are we shitting it because a team has "looked decent" in one match? We've looked world-beaters at times this season.
Indeed. WBA were absolutely nailed on for Champions' League after 45 minutes against Chelsea. Everton had won about 7/8 matches so they were there to be had.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #10568 on: October 26, 2020, 09:30:56 AM »
We’ve probably improved since then, CL.
Going by the last 9 matches.
You are right louzie0, still carrying the scars though.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #10569 on: October 26, 2020, 10:05:36 AM »
For whatever reason, we seemed to set up our midfield against Leeds something like the below..
------------------Luiz
Trez, McGinn, Barkley, Grealish

McGinn sat a lot deeper next to Luiz against Liverpool, perhaps a bit further forward against Leicester but left of Luiz. That wasn't the case on Friday, where we set up similar to what we did against Fulham. It's a formation (2 x number eights) I don't want to see us playing for a while, Luiz is not superman and our full backs need more cover than what Grealish and Trez/Traore/AEG can provide. We need to be a lot more compact tactically, two sitting midfielders should always try and be goal side of the ball. Traore isn't ready for a start yet (and looks completely unsuited to the role he has been bought for tbh) so I wouldn't mind something like the following for Southampton. A lot more narrow but also support for the full backs to get forward and a change of role for Grealish. 

--------Luiz, Nakamba
McGinn, Grealish, Hourihane

We have options then to drop McGinn back one if required, bring in Barkley or Trez/Traore out wide. Another tactical change I'd like to see Smith considering if we are chasing a goal is a front three of Traore/Davis/Watkins. Davis can make the ball stick and Watkins is more than capable of playing wide left but again to keep two midfielders goal side of the ball.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #10570 on: October 26, 2020, 10:19:04 AM »
Against L'pool we seemed to play a 4411 formation with McGinn left of Luiz as dms and Barkley just behind Ollie with no defensive or tracking back duties, just attacking responsibilities. This seemed to suit him better.
Against Leeds particularly after Traore came on we seemed to revert to a 433 with Mcginn on the right of the midfield 3 and Barkley on the left (obviously required to track back and defend).
Within a minute or so we had conceded a second goal courtesy of a misplaced pass by Barclay and an absence of making up from his error (tracking back).
If we're going to play Barclay it needs to be as an attacking force only because imo I don't think he's got the discipline to be any other kind of midfielder. In our own half he could be the liability we can ill afford.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #10571 on: October 26, 2020, 11:40:32 AM »
I do think having Grealish on the left limits his involvement. I would like to see McGinn tuck in alongside Luiz and give Jack more of a free role in front of them. Jack with a free role, with good protection behind him could be such a problem for opponents to have to deal with. I would work with the same personnel though and have Barkley moved to the left and Trez on the right. Barkley and Jack could even swap positions multiple times during a game and make even more problems for opponents.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #10572 on: October 26, 2020, 12:59:17 PM »
Against L'pool we seemed to play a 4411 formation with McGinn left of Luiz as dms and Barkley just behind Ollie with no defensive or tracking back duties, just attacking responsibilities. This seemed to suit him better.
Against Leeds particularly after Traore came on we seemed to revert to a 433 with Mcginn on the right of the midfield 3 and Barkley on the left (obviously required to track back and defend).
Within a minute or so we had conceded a second goal courtesy of a misplaced pass by Barclay and an absence of making up from his error (tracking back).
If we're going to play Barclay it needs to be as an attacking force only because imo I don't think he's got the discipline to be any other kind of midfielder. In our own half he could be the liability we can ill afford.

Barkley definitely played 10 against Liverpool alright. I don't think Barkley, or let's be honest us as a team, are good enough to allow him to have an armchair ride without the ball. He simply has to up his workrate no matter what position he gets selected in. If there is to be one midfielder we give that licence to, it has to be Grealish, I don't think we will get away with two. What already worries me about Traore is that it's abundantly clear he won't be offering much without the ball either on the right flank. That lack of balance that Leeds ruthlessly exposed is very vulnerable to counter attacking.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #10573 on: October 26, 2020, 01:25:18 PM »
Almost regardless of tactics, what the last few games have proved is you have to have everbody fit and focussed.
The performance of Mings and Berkley were the key problems against Leeds.

Offline Risso

« Reply #10574 on: October 26, 2020, 01:35:02 PM »
Almost regardless of tactics, what the last few games have proved is you have to have everbody fit and focussed.
The performance of Mings and Berkley were the key problems against Leeds.

Yes, Barkley was very ineffective but Mings had an absolute shocker.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal