collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

Maradona - RIP by JD
[Today at 03:41:37 AM]

The Running thread by JD
[Today at 03:32:14 AM]

When I was ten by JD
[Today at 03:29:33 AM]

Jack Grealish - for life? by eamonn
[Today at 01:18:29 AM]

Guess The Goal R13; West Ham v ASTON VILLA, Monday 30th November 🥅 by Villa Lew
[November 25, 2020, 10:40:28 PM]

Other Games - 2020/21 by Brend'Watkins
[November 25, 2020, 09:33:26 PM]

Keinan Davis by N'ZMAV
[November 25, 2020, 08:15:50 PM]

West Ham v Villa Monday evening 8.00 pre-match thread by manic-road
[November 25, 2020, 06:10:57 PM]

November 23, 2020, 04:23:08 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 389 | Comments: 4

These days a ten year old is l...
November 20, 2020, 12:28:50 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 442 | Comments: 3

In the euphoria of the resumpt...
November 18, 2020, 11:57:57 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 445 | Comments: 2

By Christmas 1936 those who ex...
November 05, 2020, 12:10:19 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1157 | Comments: 8

This weekend sees the thirtiet...
October 28, 2020, 02:06:34 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1030 | Comments: 8

[url=https://ibb.c...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 684141 times)

Offline Bobby Boy

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #10590 on: October 25, 2020, 03:30:37 PM »
Hope Dean is watching Southampton today. Their intensity is not a million miles away from Leeds'. Can't allow our midfield to be so open otherwise we'll be asking for trouble.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #10591 on: October 25, 2020, 03:33:15 PM »
Hope Dean is watching Southampton today. Their intensity is not a million miles away from Leeds'. Can't allow our midfield to be so open otherwise we'll be asking for trouble.

They look really decent donít they?! Plus they beat us easily twice last season too.

Hopefully weíre up to the challenge on both sides of the touchline.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #10592 on: October 25, 2020, 03:38:14 PM »
This is by no means a criticism of Smith who I rate highly, but Leeds notoriously overload the fullbacks and we did very little to protect against that. I know it's hard to change a winning team, but felt 3-5-2 was the way to go. If not from the start then certainly as the game wore on and it became clear they had Targett and Cash exposed. Engels in for Trez and Grealish off Watkins. Would've been a very brave call though and obviously may not have worked.
My thoughts as well.
Traore and Cash as wingbacks would be very powerful. My only concern is whether our third CB would be good enough: if we'd bought Tuanzebe or another mobile CB in the summer, I'd be promoting 3-5-2 rather harder than now.

Impossible to say that Traore would be any use as a wing back I reckon, doesn't look like he's got much tackling in him.

Plus he plays down the right so thatís clearly a preference for him coming in from that side. Sticking him on the left and having defensive duties isnít something I am sure I want to see. And frankly Targett has been fine this season and if we are upgrading him get a proper FB/WB that has been playing that role very well across his career. Square pegs round holes isnít the way to go.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 10.02.2021
« Reply #10593 on: October 25, 2020, 04:17:39 PM »
This is by no means a criticism of Smith who I rate highly, but Leeds notoriously overload the fullbacks and we did very little to protect against that. I know it's hard to change a winning team, but felt 3-5-2 was the way to go. If not from the start then certainly as the game wore on and it became clear they had Targett and Cash exposed. Engels in for Trez and Grealish off Watkins. Would've been a very brave call though and obviously may not have worked.
My thoughts as well.
Traore and Cash as wingbacks would be very powerful. My only concern is whether our third CB would be good enough: if we'd bought Tuanzebe or another mobile CB in the summer, I'd be promoting 3-5-2 rather harder than now.
Impossible to say that Traore would be any use as a wing back I reckon, doesn't look like he's got much tackling in him.
I'm sure I read somewhere that played there for his last club.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 04:21:38 PM by Mister E »

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #10594 on: October 25, 2020, 05:03:17 PM »

They look really decent donít they?! Plus they beat us easily twice last season too.

I think the secret is do not concede first.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #10595 on: October 25, 2020, 05:15:40 PM »
Why are we shitting it because a team has "looked decent" in one match? We've looked world-beaters at times this season.

Offline Ian J

• GM : 11.09.2021
« Reply #10596 on: October 25, 2020, 05:19:59 PM »

I think the secret is do not concede first.
Iíve always hated it when we play Southampton. All I even think of is Matt Le Tissier scoring screamers followed by Shane Long scoring his only goal a season against us.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #10597 on: October 25, 2020, 05:38:18 PM »
I suppose Iíd better add that Iím not ďshitting itĒ regarding playing them at all.

Iím just noting theyíre in good form and have spanked us twice in the last ten months. If we rebound from the Leeds game in the right way, weíll be more than a match for them.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #10598 on: October 25, 2020, 07:31:55 PM »
Southampton are a very well drilled team Organised team that donít mind putting their foot in.
Iif they get ahead they are good at killing the game.

The away game last season was one of the worst performances I have seen Villa put in, we were shocking.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV
  • GM : 15.02.2021
« Reply #10599 on: October 25, 2020, 07:51:54 PM »
Weíve probably improved since then, CL.
Going by the last 9 matches.

Offline john e

• GM : 24.01.21
« Reply #10600 on: October 26, 2020, 07:33:06 AM »
apart from the media 6 there is a lot of teams this season who are all capable of some decent football and results
Leicester
Everton
Southampton
Leeds
Crystal Palace
Brighton
Wolves
and Iím adding Villa into that mix

Thatís 14 teams out if 20 all capable of upsetting the odds and playing winning football
I think the Prem is as strong as itís ever been in terms of quality in depth

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #10601 on: October 26, 2020, 08:40:45 AM »
apart from the media 6 there is a lot of teams this season who are all capable of some decent football and results
Leicester
Everton
Southampton
Leeds
Crystal Palace
Brighton
Wolves
and Iím adding Villa into that mix

Thatís 14 teams out if 20 all capable of upsetting the odds and playing winning football
I think the Prem is as strong as itís ever been in terms of quality in depth

Agreed John.  And that's why the likes of Liverpool and Man U are shitting theselves that one of the oiks might beat them to the Champions League places and they really can't be having that, can they?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 28.04.2021
« Reply #10602 on: October 26, 2020, 08:49:13 AM »
Why are we shitting it because a team has "looked decent" in one match? We've looked world-beaters at times this season.
Indeed. WBA were absolutely nailed on for Champions' League after 45 minutes against Chelsea. Everton had won about 7/8 matches so they were there to be had.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #10603 on: October 26, 2020, 09:30:56 AM »
Weíve probably improved since then, CL.
Going by the last 9 matches.
You are right louzie0, still carrying the scars though.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 16.05.2021
« Reply #10604 on: October 26, 2020, 10:05:36 AM »
For whatever reason, we seemed to set up our midfield against Leeds something like the below..
------------------Luiz
Trez, McGinn, Barkley, Grealish

McGinn sat a lot deeper next to Luiz against Liverpool, perhaps a bit further forward against Leicester but left of Luiz. That wasn't the case on Friday, where we set up similar to what we did against Fulham. It's a formation (2 x number eights) I don't want to see us playing for a while, Luiz is not superman and our full backs need more cover than what Grealish and Trez/Traore/AEG can provide. We need to be a lot more compact tactically, two sitting midfielders should always try and be goal side of the ball. Traore isn't ready for a start yet (and looks completely unsuited to the role he has been bought for tbh) so I wouldn't mind something like the following for Southampton. A lot more narrow but also support for the full backs to get forward and a change of role for Grealish. 

--------Luiz, Nakamba
McGinn, Grealish, Hourihane

We have options then to drop McGinn back one if required, bring in Barkley or Trez/Traore out wide. Another tactical change I'd like to see Smith considering if we are chasing a goal is a front three of Traore/Davis/Watkins. Davis can make the ball stick and Watkins is more than capable of playing wide left but again to keep two midfielders goal side of the ball.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal