collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522490 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #9465 on: July 15, 2020, 01:16:10 AM »
If he keeps us up, I'd be inclined to give him the start of next season.

Even if he does and there is someone available legitimately better then we owe to ourselves to not bow to sentiment. Thanks for getting us up and at keeping us up but we have to move on.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #9466 on: July 15, 2020, 01:19:54 AM »
I'd definitely test him before considering keeping him, even if we do stay up having beaten Everton, Arsenal and West Ham.

Tell him Drinkwater is available on a free and ask if he would like to sign him. If he says no, he gets the start of the season. If he says yes, release the hounds.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #9467 on: July 15, 2020, 03:55:04 AM »
I'm not convinced by him much as I like him, but sacking him for successfully doing both his objectives would be very harsh.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9468 on: July 15, 2020, 09:24:58 AM »
I'm not convinced by him much as I like him, but sacking him for successfully doing both his objectives would be very harsh.

If you believe what Purslow said at the start of the season, his objective wasn't just to stay up by the skin of his teeth though.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #9469 on: July 15, 2020, 09:46:03 AM »
It's only grapevine stuff, but I was told yesterday that Dean Smith will be staying whatever the outcome and that he will be given full control of transfers going forward.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #9470 on: July 15, 2020, 09:55:48 AM »
Does that mean no more Susso and the like?

Offline mcgrath_85

« Reply #9471 on: July 15, 2020, 09:56:36 AM »
He has to go regardless in my opinion. He’s proved to be shockingly inept and let’s face it, the odds on us surviving are slim.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #9472 on: July 15, 2020, 10:11:18 AM »
Does that mean no more Susso and the like?
If it's correct.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #9473 on: July 15, 2020, 10:28:11 AM »

If you believe what Purslow said at the start of the season, his objective wasn't just to stay up by the skin of his teeth though.

Surely that's more an arguement for sacking Purslow? I mean lets be realistic. We finished 18 points behind the team currently bottom of the pile of the premiership. Lost half our squad for various reasons in the summer. Yes he had money, but buying proven premierships players was never an option because they wouldn't come frankly. So if the board were expecting a top half finish i would suggest their inexperience in football was showing I  doubt Sheffield United's board planned for a top half finish.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #9474 on: July 15, 2020, 10:53:22 AM »
Hasn’t vinnie said they’re going no matter what happens?

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #9475 on: July 15, 2020, 10:54:55 AM »
So Sheffield achieved the impossible.  Isn’t that just what our owners wanted as well?  I think they call it ambition.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #9476 on: July 15, 2020, 11:10:56 AM »
If he keeps us up, I'd be inclined to give him the start of next season.

Even if he does and there is someone available legitimately better then we owe to ourselves to not bow to sentiment. Thanks for getting us up and at keeping us up but we have to move on.
I agree totally with this. There’s no place for sentimentality or even loyalty in the modern game.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #9477 on: July 15, 2020, 11:28:56 AM »

True. What an inspiring statement of intent that would have been.

"We're aiming to just stay up by the skin of our teeth this season everyone".

Of course our aim must have been to win it (also knowing we were extremely unlikely to achieve it).

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #9478 on: July 15, 2020, 11:40:47 AM »
So Sheffield achieved the impossible.  Isn’t that just what our owners wanted as well?  I think they call it ambition.

Don't think it's much to do with ambition, more about being realistic. If the Sheffield United board sat there at the start of the season and said "well we've just come up after finishing 2nd in the Championship, so a finish just below the European places but above Arsenal and Tottenham will do for this year Chris", then i imagine he's been expecting the sack ever since.

I suspect they probably said 3 words to him. Keep us up.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9479 on: July 15, 2020, 11:59:53 AM »
The way Purslow was talking and comparing us to Norwich, there’s no way he was expecting us to go down. And outside the top 6 or 7, it’s all pretty much of a muchness. Our main weakness has been the utter shitness of the defence.  With better coaching we could easily be 7 or 8 points better off.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal