collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522050 times)

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #9435 on: July 14, 2020, 03:29:48 PM »
My grandson, reading Medieval History suggests that Clive Tydesley should be more correctly, being of Plantagenet stock, Clive De Tyseley, making him one of us.

But he’s a Man Utd fan so not really one of us.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #9436 on: July 14, 2020, 03:57:27 PM »
Tyldesley hasn't been sacked.  Just demoted to number 2.  His sob story is on twitter.  ITV are bastards though.  They could have waited till he was next in Barcelona and phoned him up at 9 or 10 PM with the news.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9437 on: July 14, 2020, 04:16:52 PM »
I saw that video on Twitter earlier. It was two and a half minutes of him saying that he wasn't bitter whilst spending two and a half minutes sounding bitter.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9438 on: July 14, 2020, 04:18:34 PM »
My grandson, reading Medieval History suggests that Clive Tydesley should be more correctly, being of Plantagenet stock, Clive De Tyseley, making him one of us.

I used to live in Tyldesley in Wigan.  The name comes from Old English meaning Tilwald's Clearing [in a forest].

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #9439 on: July 14, 2020, 04:28:03 PM »
I saw that video on Twitter earlier. It was two and a half minutes of him saying that he wasn't bitter whilst spending two and a half minutes sounding bitter.

I can live with that.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #9440 on: July 14, 2020, 04:43:51 PM »
We were promoted a year ahead of schedule apparently, and I wonder if Purslow thought that Dean would make the necessary changes/management improvements over a couple of years and be able to cope with life in the Premier Division?  This is perhaps the reason he hasn't been fired?  Given Dean had no management experience of top flight football, perhaps it isn't a surprise to Purslow that we aren't doing as well as we might, given the whole new squad thrown in too.  I wonder if Purslow is thinking that Smith is the right man to bring us back up and that his year in the Prem will stand him in good stead? I'm hypothesising of course.  Purslow is a far better businessman than I am and I would have sacked Dean Smith already, perhaps wrongly as Dean may get better with experience.  Time will tell. 

My guess would be Purslow is well aware he's been handed a bunch of players simply not fit for purpose in the PL given our particular circumstances.   

Part of the decision making though is about whether Smith could have got more from them.  Luiz has improved really well but why haven't the others?  Is Sunday's game now Trezeguet's coming of age etc? 

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #9441 on: July 14, 2020, 04:45:15 PM »
I think the main problem this season hasn't so much been the quality of the signings as the fragility of their self-belief. How many times have they thrown away a result / good performance because there's been a setback and it's knocked them for six (Man Utd home being the latest example)?

Smith isn't a great motivator, that much has been obvious since he joined. He can't turn around a poor streak. We need an assistant manager who can do that, a bit like John Gregory when he was Brian Little's assistant manager.

John Terry isn't that person it seems, so maybe it's a good time for us & him to part company. Played a vital role in maintaining continuity between the Bruce and Smith regimes - thanks for that, best of luck, bye.

As others have said - there's plenty of mitigating circumstances this season so unless we get a massive manager upgrade and go for the sort of manager Man City or Liverpool would go for, I don't think it's time for a change just yet. Obviously if we go down and start struggling it'll be time to reassess, but personally I think the team's progressed this season.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #9442 on: July 14, 2020, 04:47:01 PM »
Yes it is the six foot four Chatteris slugger.  In the footsteps of Dave Boy Green.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #9443 on: July 14, 2020, 04:48:21 PM »
Yes it is the six foot four Chatteris slugger.  In the footsteps of Dave Boy Green.

I agree with him. On everything.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #9444 on: July 14, 2020, 04:56:39 PM »
Why do you give any manager 10 games into the new season?
You either think he should be our manager or not. Its like trying to get half pregnant, its a stupid idea.
If it fucks up you have a squad, backroom staff and set up based on a manager that is no longer with you.
You then have to appoint a new manager who will want his own staff and a new set up. On top of that you have a bunch of players chosen to play to the previous managers failed system.
Just say, I dont know or I am undecided.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #9445 on: July 14, 2020, 05:06:24 PM »
Me too.  I just give him money.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #9446 on: July 14, 2020, 05:07:15 PM »
ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Clive shouts orgasmically, as Rooney promptly scuffs it out for a throw in.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #9447 on: July 14, 2020, 05:11:30 PM »
Tyldesley hasn't been sacked.  Just demoted to number 2.  His sob story is on twitter.  ITV are bastards though.  They could have waited till he was next in Barcelona and phoned him up at 9 or 10 PM with the news.

Talk of it being ageist apparently and he is moaning about the decision. However, he is 65, has probably made a shed load of cash over the last 22 years, enjoyed himself with travelling etc on a large expense account, garnered a good reputation (with some) but now is the time to move on and let a younger guy or gal take over. Nothing wrong with the decision in my view and I can say that as a mid 50 something myself. Sometimes you've got to move on after a great run and let someone younger make their own career

His comments today are as self centred as his commentary normally is

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9448 on: July 14, 2020, 05:16:12 PM »
ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Clive shouts orgasmically, as Rooney promptly scuffs it out for a throw in.

Didn't he do that once when Rooney wasnt even playing? I'm sure he did.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #9449 on: July 14, 2020, 05:19:01 PM »

Talk of it being ageist apparently and he is moaning about the decision. However, he is 65, has probably made a shed load of cash over the last 22 years, enjoyed himself with travelling etc on a large expense account, garnered a good reputation (with some) but now is the time to move on and let a younger guy or gal take over. Nothing wrong with the decision in my view and I can say that as a mid 50 something myself. Sometimes you've got to move on after a great run and let someone younger make their own career

His comments today are as self centred as his commentary normally is

The younger guy looks like it's Matterface. Awful Partridge esq and a total tool.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal