collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522244 times)

Offline mr underhill

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #9405 on: July 14, 2020, 08:51:48 AM »
there's no success like failure and failure's no success at all.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #9406 on: July 14, 2020, 09:40:52 AM »
You know, if we'd had a settled squad without so much churn and new inexperienced players, if he'd been here longer, if he hadn't been promoted last season, i.e. We had another season in the championship first and we were doing as we are the following season, I'd understand the call for sacking him and I'd probably be doing it myself.

However, this is the first full season, the first time to do a full of review of the squad he has. I think he and we deserve an opportunity to see what he can do. A chance to deliver. We all know we should be eating at the top table, but rather than just being there and not knowing which cutlery to use, let's make sure we know which fork is which so that we can fill ourselves.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #9407 on: July 14, 2020, 09:50:23 AM »
I guess it would also depend on who is out there and available.  If we go down, then I would look to change as we can't really face another extended spell down there.  If we stay up, then I think he would deserve a chance to improve things next season, but he would be on very thin ice.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #9408 on: July 14, 2020, 09:53:23 AM »
We were and are asking for 17th place.  Not Europe.  If we achieve that then I suppose it’s job done.  But I wouldn’t want to take the same risk next season.

He’s made so many errors this season and it’s either learning on the job or he’s not up to it.  The same failing starting eleven is one example.  Another one that was pointed out to me recently was with that Manure game lost maybe taking Jack off for a rest - it’s the little things. 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9409 on: July 14, 2020, 09:56:07 AM »
You know, if we'd had a settled squad without so much churn and new inexperienced players, if he'd been here longer, if he hadn't been promoted last season, i.e. We had another season in the championship first and we were doing as we are the following season, I'd understand the call for sacking him and I'd probably be doing it myself.

However, this is the first full season, the first time to do a full of review of the squad he has. I think he and we deserve an opportunity to see what he can do. A chance to deliver. We all know we should be eating at the top table, but rather than just being there and not knowing which cutlery to use, let's make sure we know which fork is which so that we can fill ourselves.

Assuming we stay up, what would you say though if somebody like Pochettino let it be known they fancied the job?  Do you risk that Dean Smith is suddenly going to find that he is up to the Premier League, or do you give it to somebody who has proved himself at the highest level?

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #9410 on: July 14, 2020, 10:11:46 AM »
Those of us that lost faith in Smith a while ago (for me it was Dec/Jan results and performances), the only way he can win us round is with front-foot, committed performances from now until the end of the season. If he go down on the last day fighting, but having picked up decent results in the last three, just maybe he can earn the right to have the chance to bring us straight back next season. Definitely want a Suso replacement trusted with spending the Grealish money though.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9411 on: July 14, 2020, 10:19:37 AM »
I like Smith and really want him to do well but he's been far to passive since the lockdown ended. There's been a few games where we've lost and haven't used all the subs despite a couple of players being out on their feet. There's been games where there was an obvious weakness being targeted and he ignored it until after we'd conceded through that exact spot because he seems to have planned out what he's going to do before the game starts and he doesn't deviate from that.

Offline cdward

« Reply #9412 on: July 14, 2020, 10:32:27 AM »
i am happy to stick with Smith regardless of what division we end up in, but with the intention being that 10 games into next season we need to see the improvements.
Unless the owners go for a big name manager, there is no point swapping Smith.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #9413 on: July 14, 2020, 11:23:31 AM »

Thank you, Mr Zimmerman.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #9414 on: July 14, 2020, 11:41:07 AM »
The reason I have been 'anti' is a simple one.

McLeish and Lambert were judged as terrible managers who nearly relegated us when, a few seasons prior, we had been pushing for top four.

However, both McLeish and Lambert were always good for either grinding out enough draws (McLeish) when there was a lack of fire-power due to injury or getting big results against your Liverpools, Chelseas, Arsenals etc (more so Lambert). Even Sherwood got us a great win away at White Hart Lane.

Smith hasn't delivered on grinding out a point per game average. Games that should have been drawn have been lost through carelessness & the best result against a top side is the draw at Old Trafford.  This is why we only have 30 points after 35 games & have been under serious pressure all season.

If he wins the next three and keeps us up he will have got us (and himself) out of jail & deserves another crack but I would say he would be on thin ice if it looked like happening again.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 11:42:58 AM by Villan82 »

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #9415 on: July 14, 2020, 11:44:46 AM »
We were promoted a year ahead of schedule apparently, and I wonder if Purslow thought that Dean would make the necessary changes/management improvements over a couple of years and be able to cope with life in the Premier Division?  This is perhaps the reason he hasn't been fired?  Given Dean had no management experience of top flight football, perhaps it isn't a surprise to Purslow that we aren't doing as well as we might, given the whole new squad thrown in too.  I wonder if Purslow is thinking that Smith is the right man to bring us back up and that his year in the Prem will stand him in good stead? I'm hypothesising of course.  Purslow is a far better businessman than I am and I would have sacked Dean Smith already, perhaps wrongly as Dean may get better with experience.  Time will tell. 

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #9416 on: July 14, 2020, 11:54:45 AM »

Thank you, Mr Zimmerman.

Voice of sand and glue
Gave your heart to every bedsit room
Sat behind a million pair of eyes
Told them how they saw
Don't suppose we'll meet

Online TonyD

« Reply #9417 on: July 14, 2020, 12:08:31 PM »
New manager please whether we stay up or go down.   

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #9418 on: July 14, 2020, 12:13:17 PM »
We were promoted a year ahead of schedule apparently, and I wonder if Purslow thought that Dean would make the necessary changes/management improvements over a couple of years and be able to cope with life in the Premier Division?  This is perhaps the reason he hasn't been fired?  Given Dean had no management experience of top flight football, perhaps it isn't a surprise to Purslow that we aren't doing as well as we might, given the whole new squad thrown in too.  I wonder if Purslow is thinking that Smith is the right man to bring us back up and that his year in the Prem will stand him in good stead? I'm hypothesising of course.  Purslow is a far better businessman than I am and I would have sacked Dean Smith already, perhaps wrongly as Dean may get better with experience.  Time will tell. 

My guess would be Purslow is well aware he's been handed a bunch of players simply not fit for purpose in the PL given our particular circumstances.   

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #9419 on: July 14, 2020, 01:03:19 PM »
The reason I have been 'anti' is a simple one.

McLeish and Lambert were judged as terrible managers who nearly relegated us when, a few seasons prior, we had been pushing for top four.

However, both McLeish and Lambert were always good for either grinding out enough draws (McLeish) when there was a lack of fire-power due to injury or getting big results against your Liverpools, Chelseas, Arsenals etc (more so Lambert). Even Sherwood got us a great win away at White Hart Lane.

Smith hasn't delivered on grinding out a point per game average. Games that should have been drawn have been lost through carelessness & the best result against a top side is the draw at Old Trafford.  This is why we only have 30 points after 35 games & have been under serious pressure all season.

If he wins the next three and keeps us up he will have got us (and himself) out of jail & deserves another crack but I would say he would be on thin ice if it looked like happening again.

McLeish & Lambert had better players to work with and most importantly Lambert had a goalscorer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal