collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522598 times)

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #9210 on: July 10, 2020, 10:28:16 PM »
And the recruitment team. Imagine the current lot trying to buy to right players for the Championship.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9211 on: July 10, 2020, 10:34:35 PM »
And the recruitment team. Imagine the current lot trying to buy to right players for the Championship.

They've done it once!

Offline Luke8

« Reply #9212 on: July 10, 2020, 10:37:00 PM »

Something like getting Tyrone Mings in? ;)

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #9213 on: July 10, 2020, 11:03:09 PM »

They've done it once!
Apart from Mings and Hause, all the main players that got promoted were here before Smith and Suso. Unless you count Kalinic and Carroll.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9214 on: July 10, 2020, 11:09:06 PM »

They've done it once!
Apart from Mings and Hause, all the main players that got promoted were here before Smith and Suso. Unless you count Kalinic and Carroll.

I meant this season's signings. It was a (not very good) joke.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #9215 on: July 10, 2020, 11:19:16 PM »
JT and Smith will go after this - regardless of what happens next four matches

I think you're right.

Issue is. They both know it

You heard out about who might be a replacement?

The thing i keep coming back to is, who are we going to get in that would do any better?

Whichever way you look at it those group of players aren't good enough at this level. And if thats Suso and Purslow's recruitment then they need to be held accountable.
Smith's job title is head coach. Not Manager.
Dyche has been suggested but I'd still doubt that he would be able to get any better out of the squad. Thats the same Dyche that relegated Burnley in their first season back in the Premiership.
We all new this season would be a struggle based on the turnaround in numbers of the playing squad.
I'd stick with Deano and get rid of Suso.

Time we appoint a manager who's won major trophies recently and managed at top level (and isn't about 65 as Houllier was when we got him).

Very difficult if you're in championship but other clubs have shown that if the project is good enough they'll come.

Last time we went down we appointed someone who'd won the european cup four years previously although taking the job seemed to make him lose any common sense e.g. thinking we could storm the league playing 4-2-4.

Still just because that didn't work dosen't mean similar appointments would be doomed to failure.

Don’t know what you’re smoking mate but if you’re in the Sutton area can you drop some by? I don’t know if you’ve noticed at all but we’re not exactly an attractive proposition. We’re getting relegated and about to lose arguably our 3 best players as a result.

Well I live pretty much across the road from Falcon Lodge so I'll pop round the back of the Anvil pub and see what I can find!

Yeah as said Leeds, Wolves, WBA and Newcastle (considering Bentiez only agreed to stay after their relegation) showed ambition and got good managers and they all got promoted straight away or on verge of doing it now.

Of course we'll lose players but Newcastle sold Wijnaldjum and Sissoko the summer Rafa signed up full time, he could see the bigger picture.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #9216 on: July 10, 2020, 11:25:55 PM »
why? Newcastle didn't sell everyone when they went down. Why do we need to? We're not skint. They are all under contract. New players joined a newly promoted side so they all knew what they were getting into. Unless they have clauses we can hold on to everyone unless the right offer comes in. There is a very good chance we will keep most of them. And frankly why would a new manager join if the first they will do is sell everyone? We will want to give ourselves the very best chance of getting back up.

They sold Winjaldum and Sissoko for 50m.

What they did with that was buy some reasonably o.k premier league squad players who they felt would do a good job for them in the championship. Dwight Gayle, Matt Ritchie, Issac Hayden, Clark from us, Mo Diame, Atsu, Jonjo Shelvey and De Andre Yedlin were signed from mostly premier league clubs. They won the league with 98 points and most of those remain part of their first team squad now so they're actually a pretty decent template to follow from how they did things from 2016 onwards.

Compare them to how we went about it from that same summer anyway and there's a bit of a difference.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #9217 on: July 10, 2020, 11:39:17 PM »

They've done it once!

I meant this season's signings. It was a (not very good) joke.
🙂 too subtle and too late in the day for me.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #9218 on: July 11, 2020, 10:18:09 AM »
Agreed, we had 13 players to get in for around £130 million. That really is bargain basement squad building at PL level. Could we have spent better, yes. But could we have spent more, no.

My amazement with Suso is we simply didn't use any contacts he had at Atletico Madrid or Valencia given he's worked at both in last 10 years.

Given how weak we've been in defensive midfield this season surely an obvious target would've been someone like Francis Cocquelin, in and out of the Valencia team this year. Played over 100 games for Arsenal etc. Season long loan with agreement to sign him for 15-20m if we stayed up.

Purslow just rejecting loans last summer wasn't the brightest idea especially with the u turn in January.

Next time we're up we need to start targeting players from better leagues as with the greatest respect I can't see us challenging for top 8 anytime soon signing players from Belgium and mid table Turkish teams. It's an easy example but Newcastle signed Saint-Maximin from Nice for inital 16.5m (so only a few million more than what we spent on Konsa and Targett) and 40k a week.

They could sell him for three times that amount in August if they wished or just give him a big pay increase to keep him but that is more proven player than any outfield player he signed, El Ghazi was just a bit part player in the same league for example.

You would be less amazed when you realised he did pretty shit jobs with them as well.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #9219 on: July 11, 2020, 10:36:21 AM »
Even with Cahill supposedly out for the season, I can't see us picking anything up against Palace.

Dean Smith vs the tactical nous of Roy Hodgson and the Villa Old Boys. It's only gonna end one way unfortunately.... and we all know it.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #9220 on: July 11, 2020, 10:51:21 AM »
Palce will fill their midfield full of hard working dirty ball winners like McCarthy, McArthur and Kouyote etc - and they'll just dominate. meh.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #9221 on: July 11, 2020, 02:17:26 PM »
Probably won't matter much.  Even a win here now only gives us faint hope.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #9222 on: July 11, 2020, 02:21:09 PM »
It grates on me so much that he's still our manager. That season was a pathetic effort.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #9223 on: July 11, 2020, 02:21:15 PM »
Any chance of the incompetent fuckwit being out out of his misery after palace, if we’re all but mathematically down, as seems likely?

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #9224 on: July 11, 2020, 02:24:06 PM »
The owners need to explain why they didn't relieve Mr Smith of his duties in January or June.

If they dismiss him as our relegation is confirmed then that will be beyond a farce.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal