collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:36:32 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:27:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1517758 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #9165 on: July 10, 2020, 03:26:45 PM »
Agreed, we had 13 players to get in for around £130 million. That really is bargain basement squad building at PL level. Could we have spent better, yes. But could we have spent more, no.

My amazement with Suso is we simply didn't use any contacts he had at Atletico Madrid or Valencia given he's worked at both in last 10 years.

Given how weak we've been in defensive midfield this season surely an obvious target would've been someone like Francis Cocquelin, in and out of the Valencia team this year. Played over 100 games for Arsenal etc. Season long loan with agreement to sign him for 15-20m if we stayed up.

Purslow just rejecting loans last summer wasn't the brightest idea especially with the u turn in January.

Next time we're up we need to start targeting players from better leagues as with the greatest respect I can't see us challenging for top 8 anytime soon signing players from Belgium and mid table Turkish teams. It's an easy example but Newcastle signed Saint-Maximin from Nice for inital 16.5m (so only a few million more than what we spent on Konsa and Targett) and 40k a week.

They could sell him for three times that amount in August if they wished or just give him a big pay increase to keep him but that is more proven player than any outfield player he signed, El Ghazi was just a bit part player in the same league for example.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #9166 on: July 10, 2020, 04:16:43 PM »
I think if Wesley, Heaton and McGinn hadn't had those injuries, we would be nearly safe by now.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #9167 on: July 10, 2020, 04:29:16 PM »
Another of the reasons the likes of Maupay, Benrahma and Phiilips were players on Smith' radar, were also the wages factor. The owners seem to making sure that our wage bill doesn't spiral out of hand with rumours of a 45k per week ceiling, especially if we ended up relegated.

Whilst I get all that and totally accept the need to be financially prudent, Purslow did talk about a £200 million hole to fill in the event of relegation. So what's worse, spending a bit more than we actually did on players and wages (I'm not talking about £50 million + signings on £100k a week either) or raiding Belgium and Turkey and ending up where we are now.

Worried about the impact of FFP in the championship?   Don't get relegated then.

Offline The_ads

« Reply #9168 on: July 10, 2020, 05:09:40 PM »
JT and Smith will go after this - regardless of what happens next four matches

I think you're right.

Issue is. They both know it

You heard out about who might be a replacement?

The thing i keep coming back to is, who are we going to get in that would do any better?

Whichever way you look at it those group of players aren't good enough at this level. And if thats Suso and Purslow's recruitment then they need to be held accountable.
Smith's job title is head coach. Not Manager.
Dyche has been suggested but I'd still doubt that he would be able to get any better out of the squad. Thats the same Dyche that relegated Burnley in their first season back in the Premiership.
We all new this season would be a struggle based on the turnaround in numbers of the playing squad.
I'd stick with Deano and get rid of Suso.

Time we appoint a manager who's won major trophies recently and managed at top level (and isn't about 65 as Houllier was when we got him).

Very difficult if you're in championship but other clubs have shown that if the project is good enough they'll come.

Last time we went down we appointed someone who'd won the european cup four years previously although taking the job seemed to make him lose any common sense e.g. thinking we could storm the league playing 4-2-4.

Still just because that didn't work dosen't mean similar appointments would be doomed to failure.

Don’t know what you’re smoking mate but if you’re in the Sutton area can you drop some by? I don’t know if you’ve noticed at all but we’re not exactly an attractive proposition. We’re getting relegated and about to lose arguably our 3 best players as a result.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9169 on: July 10, 2020, 05:16:02 PM »
I wanted to take a bit of time before posting but there's 2 things that have really disappointed me about Smith from yesterday and, for me, they're the actions of a man who knows he's fucked.

After the penalty was given I'd expect the manager to be losing his shit with the 4th official and linesman, he stood with his arms closed. After that I expect him to be hunting the ref down at half time to shout him down, Smith just walked to the dressing room. He was like a whipped dog just meekly accepting his punishment.

On top of that at 2-0 the game was over unless we changed it and instead the same 11 came out and spent 25minutes going through the motions before he made changes that looked like they'd been decided before kick off. We should've had 2-3 up front and gone for it. Goal difference doesn't matter when you're 4 points from safety with 4  and a half games to go, we needed to score early in the 2nd half to change the game, and we didn't try.

I said a few times how much I hate the claims that inevitably come in a run like this about heart/spirit/bottle, I think in the majority of cases people are mistaking a lack of confidence for a lack of passion, but when it slips into passivity is when I can't accept it. Smith has to go asap because he clearly doesn't trust himself to be able to turn this around and the acceptance that comes with it is crippling for the club.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #9170 on: July 10, 2020, 05:16:57 PM »

I think you're right.

The thing i keep coming back to is, who are we going to get in that would do any better?

Whichever way you look at it those group of players aren't good enough at this level. And if thats Suso and Purslow's recruitment then they need to be held accountable.
Dyche has been suggested but I'd still doubt that he would be able to get any better out of the squad. Thats the same Dyche that relegated Burnley in their first season back in the Premiership.
We all new this season would be a struggle based on the turnaround in numbers of the playing squad.

Time we appoint a manager who's won major trophies recently and managed at top level (and isn't about 65 as Houllier was when we got him).

Very difficult if you're in championship but other clubs have shown that if the project is good enough they'll come.

Last time we went down we appointed someone who'd won the european cup four years previously although taking the job seemed to make him lose any common sense e.g. thinking we could storm the league playing 4-2-4.

Still just because that didn't work dosen't mean similar appointments would be doomed to failure.

Don’t know what you’re smoking mate but if you’re in the Sutton area can you drop some by? I don’t know if you’ve noticed at all but we’re not exactly an attractive proposition. We’re getting relegated and about to lose arguably our 3 best players as a result.

Leeds got Bielsa
Wolves Nuno
WBA Bilic

With Leeds going up I don't think there is any argument at all we will be biggest team in that league if we drop which will help us attract a decent manager IMO.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #9171 on: July 10, 2020, 05:21:09 PM »
This team would piss the championship with a decent manager
we could obviously lose a couple out of the list but we would also have good money to replace them

HEATON
GILBERT
ENGELS
MINGS
TARGET
NAKAMBA
MCGINN
LUIZ
EL GHAZI
WESLEY
SAMATA

apologies to those who think I’m being to negative because we’re not down yet but I’m just trying to cheer myself up

Offline The_ads

« Reply #9172 on: July 10, 2020, 05:21:58 PM »

I think you're right.

Leeds got Bielsa
Wolves Nuno
WBA Bilic

With Leeds going up I don't think there is any argument at all we will be biggest team in that league if we drop which will help us attract a decent manager IMO.

Yeah hate to be picky but none of those have won major European trophies but I take your point.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9173 on: July 10, 2020, 05:22:19 PM »
... On top of that at 2-0 the game was over unless we changed it and instead the same 11 came out and spent 25minutes going through the motions before he made changes that looked like they'd been decided before kick off. We should've had 2-3 up front and gone for it. Goal difference doesn't matter when you're 4 points from safety with 4  and a half games to go, we needed to score early in the 2nd half to change the game, and we didn't try.

I think it's become abundantly clear of late that there's no correlation whatsoever between how many "forwards" we have on the pitch and the likelihood of us scoring.

Offline The_ads

« Reply #9174 on: July 10, 2020, 05:23:09 PM »
we could obviously lose a couple out of the list but we would also have good money to replace them

HEATON
GILBERT
ENGELS
MINGS
TARGET
NAKAMBA
MCGINN
LUIZ
EL GHAZI
WESLEY
SAMATA

apologies to those who think I’m being to negative because we’re not down yet but I’m just trying to cheer myself up

At least 5 of those go.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #9175 on: July 10, 2020, 05:24:16 PM »
... On top of that at 2-0 the game was over unless we changed it and instead the same 11 came out and spent 25minutes going through the motions before he made changes that looked like they'd been decided before kick off. We should've had 2-3 up front and gone for it. Goal difference doesn't matter when you're 4 points from safety with 4  and a half games to go, we needed to score early in the 2nd half to change the game, and we didn't try.

I think it's become abundantly clear of late that there's no correlation whatsoever between how many "forwards" we have on the pitch and the likelihood of us scoring.

No, but putting Samatta and Davis together and Grealish in behind them would've at least given the impression we hadn't accept the defeat and that he was willing to try something else.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #9176 on: July 10, 2020, 05:26:57 PM »

HEATON
GILBERT
ENGELS
MINGS
TARGET
NAKAMBA
MCGINN
LUIZ
EL GHAZI
WESLEY
SAMATA

At least 5 of those go.

I’m not so sure but even if your right they won’t be going for nothing so we will have funds to replace
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 05:28:29 PM by john e »

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #9177 on: July 10, 2020, 05:28:55 PM »
I’m with John E, that’s a fine Championship side and who the hell would buy any of our crock of shite, with exception of our Jack?

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9178 on: July 10, 2020, 05:31:38 PM »
Yep, if we were worth plundering, we wouldn't be where we are now.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #9179 on: July 10, 2020, 05:33:45 PM »
I agree that the team above would be towards the top of the championship, if you add people like Konsa, Hause, Hourihane, Steer as back up, along with the kids and 3-4 new signings I think that's a squad that can come back up and do a better job of staying up thanks to the couple of years of experience they'd have.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal