collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Holte L2
[Today at 06:16:35 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1517869 times)

Offline mr underhill

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #9135 on: July 10, 2020, 10:43:37 AM »
I bet the hemorrhaging of money has though

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #9136 on: July 10, 2020, 10:51:39 AM »
solely based on their initial project. They came in with a 5 year plan for building academy etc. The medium/long term goals have not altered. We had planned no promotion so this 'blip' has not taken us away from the initial plan
I bet 'The Plan' didn't involve us being in the Championship for 2020/21

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #9137 on: July 10, 2020, 10:53:02 AM »
Adidas profit increased, as did their profit margins. And thats just one of the business (admittedly he is but a shareholder) that one of our obscenely rich owners has a stake in.

I don't think they're too arsed about spending money on us or losing it. They make the man baby look like a Big Issue seller.

Nobody buys a football club and expects to make money.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #9138 on: July 10, 2020, 11:16:40 AM »
solely based on their initial project. They came in with a 5 year plan for building academy etc. The medium/long term goals have not altered. We had planned no promotion so this 'blip' has not taken us away from the initial plan
I bet 'The Plan' didn't involve us being in the Championship for 2020/21

Course it didn’t but we’ve been given the increased cash one year ahead of schedule. We will look to bounce back straight away but with the right men in place to them keep us in the Prem

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #9139 on: July 10, 2020, 11:51:41 AM »
I look forward to seeing the outcome of this inquest into the recruitment, and fully expect some major changes to be the result. I’d like to think that we still have the clout (if not the PL status) to go to some proven successes in this field and entice them to come and help get us back up where we want to be. I’m looking at the likes of Dan Ashworth, currently at Brighton; he’s very highly regarded and appears to have done a great job there.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #9140 on: July 10, 2020, 12:00:58 PM »
I look forward to seeing the outcome of this inquest into the recruitment, and fully expect some major changes to be the result. I’d like to think that we still have the clout (if not the PL status) to go to some proven successes in this field and entice them to come and help get us back up where we want to be. I’m looking at the likes of Dan Ashworth, currently at Brighton; he’s very highly regarded and appears to have done a great job there.

👍🏻

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #9141 on: July 10, 2020, 12:05:31 PM »
JT and Smith will go after this - regardless of what happens next four matches

I think you're right.

Issue is. They both know it

If true that is depressing/stupid. Why would they do anything more than go through the motions if they know they're toast come what may ?

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #9142 on: July 10, 2020, 12:08:07 PM »
Personal pride in their performance?

Offline ez

« Reply #9143 on: July 10, 2020, 12:15:04 PM »
I noticed Smith had hardly anything to say to the players during the second half drink break.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #9144 on: July 10, 2020, 12:17:49 PM »
Personal pride in their performance?

A bonus if we stay up, more likely.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #9145 on: July 10, 2020, 12:30:23 PM »

I appreciate I’m probably boring people, and in the minority, with this opinion, but I don’t think you can absolutely hammer people over the recruitment.

It absolutely could have gone better, but it’s very easy to say that with the benefit of hindsight.

The reality is that the squad that was inherited by the owners and this manager was unbalanced, ageing and nowhere near Premier League standard. We got promoted and had what, two decent standard premier league players and probably 3-4 useful squad players. That’s a hell of a job to then put together a decent squad for this season, never mind the fact that we were hampered by financial fair play restrictions due to our pretty reckless spending under the previous regime.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #9146 on: July 10, 2020, 12:33:55 PM »
Agreed, we had 13 players to get in for around £130 million. That really is bargain basement squad building at PL level. Could we have spent better, yes. But could we have spent more, no.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9147 on: July 10, 2020, 12:40:46 PM »

I appreciate I’m probably boring people, and in the minority, with this opinion, but I don’t think you can absolutely hammer people over the recruitment.

It absolutely could have gone better, but it’s very easy to say that with the benefit of hindsight.

The reality is that the squad that was inherited by the owners and this manager was unbalanced, ageing and nowhere near Premier League standard. We got promoted and had what, two decent standard premier league players and probably 3-4 useful squad players. That’s a hell of a job to then put together a decent squad for this season, never mind the fact that we were hampered by financial fair play restrictions due to our pretty reckless spending under the previous regime.

It's not boring at all Luke, it's always nice to read reasoned opposite views.  I simply don't agree with it though.  Yes, it was difficult to put a squad together after all the departures, but I think they could and should have done much better.  99% of people on here said that going into the season with just Wesley as our main striker was a recipe for disaster.  That's not said with the benefit of hinsight, it was just a very obvious and monumental fuck up. 

Then there was the choice to trust Pitarch's recommendations, a man with no experience of English footballers, and whose picks all seem to be rubbish players from the Belgian league.

Then when it was apparent in the New Year that we were struggling badly in the league and had lost our main keeper and striker, their business or lack of was again almost criminally bad.  We needed pace and goals, so they got the slowest, most unfit midfielder they could find, and another bang average plodder from Belgium.  They deserve to go down for the crap way they've run the club this year, it's just a shame that it's we as fans who will suffer because of it.  Purslow should be forced to sit in a room with the video of him comparing Villa to Norwich on a loop for 24 hours, the shit, oily, useless bastard.

Offline wince

« Reply #9148 on: July 10, 2020, 12:41:09 PM »
You know what, if smith is sacked he will be the scapegoat. The entire recruitment and coaching staff need to go as it’s a collective clusterfuck

Total over reaction. 

It was a massive task to rebuild the squad to premiership standard with the money allowed.

Yes there have been mistakes but I don’t see major unexpected errors.

I disagree. Inability to work set-pieces, lack of fitness and inability to pass a football. Our training is one dimensional and has been for a while, relying on 10 minute spells and inviting pressure. Notwithstanding one of the leading defenders in the number 2 position and our Defense has been terrifying. I know we needed an entire squad at the start of the season but they haven’t gelled and our approach was no different to the young and hungry days of lambert. FFP May have stopped us spending more but what we have bought are players that may come good in a season or two. Combine this with tactical naive manager and it’s a recipe for disaster. I don’t agree that a championship manager can’t thrive in the prem as look at Sheffield united. That’s what we have to do. They were pulling up trees in the championship and have continued to do the same along with wolves in the prem. I had hoped we could do the same with smith but the entire set up we have is inconsistent and we need to fix this as a priority. Coupled with not fixing the strike force in the summer and again in January means we could be in games all we like, but without a striker......

Saving grace is we are looking a lot better going down than we did last time so I hope we can come back up off the back of a great run. If we stay up I fear we will be in this position again next year. Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven I suppose.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #9149 on: July 10, 2020, 01:14:19 PM »
It's not boring at all Luke, it's always nice to read reasoned opposite views.  I simply don't agree with it though.  Yes, it was difficult to put a squad together after all the departures, but I think they could and should have done much better.  99% of people on here said that going into the season with just Wesley as our main striker was a recipe for disaster.  That's not said with the benefit of hinsight, it was just a very obvious and monumental fuck up. 

Then there was the choice to trust Pitarch's recommendations, a man with no experience of English footballers, and whose picks all seem to be rubbish players from the Belgian league.

Then when it was apparent in the New Year that we were struggling badly in the league and had lost our main keeper and striker, their business or lack of was again almost criminally bad.  We needed pace and goals, so they got the slowest, most unfit midfielder they could find, and another bang average plodder from Belgium.  They deserve to go down for the crap way they've run the club this year, it's just a shame that it's we as fans who will suffer because of it.  Purslow should be forced to sit in a room with the video of him comparing Villa to Norwich on a loop for 24 hours, the shit, oily, useless bastard.

I’m not sure it would have ever been the plan to only have Wesley, especially given that Smith clearly didn’t rate/trust Kodjia. I imagine it was to do with availability of strikers that we wanted and the cost involved with bringing them in. Same sort of issue with a number of players where I think it’s fairly obvious that we had to settle for our 2nd/3rd choices.

I agree that January wasn’t great. I wouldn’t particularly defend the business we did with regards to the players that we bought in, but we inevitably had a plan of what we wanted to do and then that went out of the window within the space of a week right at the last minute when we lost three of our key players to long term injuries.

Also, it’s a notoriously tough window. Looking at the deals done, I can’t see many realistic ones across the league where I feel that they would have made a huge amount of difference.

I don’t want it to seem that they are beyond criticism - they aren’t - and there are definitely things that could have been done better but I also thing there were a lot of extenuating  circumstances.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal