collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by amfy
[Today at 07:14:31 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1517873 times)

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #9120 on: July 10, 2020, 09:22:19 AM »
I’m hoping if his cards are marked I do hope they have already been on the look out. It’s ruthless but when Southampton binned Adkins for Poch they were looking ahead and not just ambling along.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #9121 on: July 10, 2020, 09:24:31 AM »
You know what, 65 million would have been an awful lot of money to spend on three championship players unproven in the top flight.

I think Benrahma might be the one we missed out on, he would have been a better option than Trez.

Douglas Luiz is a a quality player and a midfield of him, McGinn and Grealish with Nakamba & Hourihane as back-up should have done better over the season.

I think we were foolish to rule out loans. An experienced head or two at the start of the season would have been useful.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #9122 on: July 10, 2020, 09:24:31 AM »
JT and Smith will go after this - regardless of what happens next four matches

I think you're right.

Issue is. They both know it

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #9123 on: July 10, 2020, 09:31:47 AM »

I think you're right.

You heard out about who might be a replacement?

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #9124 on: July 10, 2020, 09:38:14 AM »
One of the many failures of Smith's management was to make Grealish captain.

How on earth he saw an immature kid as a leader is mystifying.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #9125 on: July 10, 2020, 09:38:35 AM »
Every manager is judged on two primary things. His ability with game management and tactics,  and the other, the quality of players he signs to play the system he wants. No doubt he has been found wanting with the former, particular continuing with the same team and poor subs. However, I feel he has not been helped by the poor quality of our purchases.

We spent a lot of money, we had too, but even that much doesn't buy guaranteed Prem quality.  We know he wanted Phillips, Maupay and Benrahma but that would have cost 65 million minimum for Championship players and we needed at least 10 players, so we ended up with poor quality imports. The cost of Targett and Konza tells us how much Prem players would have cost.  The owners set a budget and we needed yo spread it thinly. I'm not convinced Smith got his choice of players at all.

This doesn't excuse him being tactically inept at times, but what has changing managers done in the past but cause further turmoil. Maybe he deserves sacking but I do wonder if anyone else would have fared better when the club was not ready for the Prem.
Konza cost us about what you'd pay for a decent up-and-coming CB; and he will be much-improved and continue to improve. Targett was overpriced.
The costs were significantly skewed by the prices paid for the completely-untested Trez, Engels and Nakamba (c.£25m in total): this could have been spent on Phillips or Maupay, with some faith being put in 2-3 of our youth players to make up the squad numbers (these latter wouldn't  - with hindsight - have been any worse than we got from Trez, for example). Or, we could have got Bowen in in August ...
It's the recruitment that killed us, along with Smith's inexperience (as you say, Always).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 09:44:25 AM by Mister E »

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #9126 on: July 10, 2020, 09:38:59 AM »
I think he has made a mess of things since the re-start. Not knowing his No1 goalkeeper out of what he had, and making the same substitutions is another. I didn't really see the point in throwing Davis on at 2-0 last night then throwing the young kid on with 5 minutes to go. And you can always guarantee Nakamba and Hourihane will come on at some point as well. It's all seemed a bit desperate and predictable.

Offline Holte L2

« Reply #9127 on: July 10, 2020, 09:39:39 AM »

I think you're right.

You heard out about who might be a replacement?

The thing i keep coming back to is, who are we going to get in that would do any better?

Whichever way you look at it those group of players aren't good enough at this level. And if thats Suso and Purslow's recruitment then they need to be held accountable.
Smith's job title is head coach. Not Manager.
Dyche has been suggested but I'd still doubt that he would be able to get any better out of the squad. Thats the same Dyche that relegated Burnley in their first season back in the Premiership.
We all new this season would be a struggle based on the turnaround in numbers of the playing squad.
I'd stick with Deano and get rid of Suso.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #9128 on: July 10, 2020, 09:42:42 AM »
I think he has made a mess of things since the re-start. Not knowing his No1 goalkeeper out of what he had, and making the same substitutions is another. I didn't really see the point in throwing Davis on at 2-0 last night then throwing the young kid on with 5 minutes to go. And you can always guarantee Nakamba and Hourihane will come on at some point as well. It's all seemed a bit desperate and predictable.
This.
The seeds of our destruction last night lie on the whole approach to the 10-game mini-league, at the start of which Smith said he felt the squad was fitter and more aware of its previous shortfalls and had learned from them. He then sent the teams against SheffU and Newcastle particularly (but Chelsea and Dogheads as well) with a 'let's not lose' approach. Totally wrong mindset.
If we'd won against SheffU and Newcastle, we'd be in a different place and our approach  to last night's game would have been entirely different.
Poor decision-making and poor management.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #9129 on: July 10, 2020, 09:42:50 AM »
One of the many failures of Smith's management was to make Grealish captain.

How on earth he saw an immature kid as a leader is mystifying.

He helped lead that surge last season. We just haven’t been good enough. For large parts this season he has done the same. That’s not why we’re in huge danger of being relegated.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #9130 on: July 10, 2020, 09:48:23 AM »
I was thinking about what the reaction of the crowd would have been to this post-lockdown shambles and I think last night would have been the tipping point when fans' frustration would have finally spilled over. Players surrendering on the pitch, relegation looking certain, gloating Man United fans....

Depressing, no other way to look at relegation but as a disaster - in a footballing context at least

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #9131 on: July 10, 2020, 09:54:47 AM »
more so - if the owners do a Randy, we're fooked.

Offline VinnieChase84

« Reply #9132 on: July 10, 2020, 09:57:01 AM »

They are in it for the long haul.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #9133 on: July 10, 2020, 10:00:32 AM »

How do you know this?

Offline VinnieChase84

« Reply #9134 on: July 10, 2020, 10:08:30 AM »

How do you know this?

solely based on their initial project. They came in with a 5 year plan for building academy etc. The medium/long term goals have not altered. We had planned no promotion so this 'blip' has not taken us away from the initial plan

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal