collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1523119 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #8985 on: July 09, 2020, 09:13:09 AM »
So the players aren't fit enough after a year, and the strikers have to be reminded that they should play further forward and try to score some goals. I take it all back, the bloke's a coaching genius.

I noticed yesterday that the questions at the press briefing were noticeably a lot more antagonistic than usual, and Smith seemed much more defensive, and looked flustered.  I wonder if he's been told already that if we go down, he's out of the door?

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8986 on: July 09, 2020, 09:20:43 AM »
It’s an area we seem to have struggled with since the MON days when a certain JT mentioned we got tired after 70 minutes.

Glad you mentioned Terry. I've only very recently stopped following him on the socials because of the amount of Chelsea stuff he puts up, but he was often posting about his runs, PB's and pounding the treadmill at home. And he's just staff.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #8987 on: July 09, 2020, 10:31:16 AM »
It’s an area we seem to have struggled with since the MON days when a certain JT mentioned we got tired after 70 minutes.

Glad you mentioned Terry. I've only very recently stopped following him on the socials because of the amount of Chelsea stuff he puts up, but he was often posting about his runs, PB's and pounding the treadmill at home. And he's just staff.

^ Similarly unfollowed Terry myself due to the constant Chelsea love-in. It's interesting that he posted a lot less about them when he was playing for us, and seemed to take a lot more pride in being at Villa back then. I suppose he's a 'winner' and we were winning games so he wanted to be seen to be a big part of that. Now that we're struggling, albeit in a higher league, he's all Chelsea again.

One could argue that he feels more free now that he's no longer on playing staff anywhere to show his true colours again. But I'd have thought it all the more unprofessional for someone in a relatively senior coaching role at a club to be posting so fervently about another club in the same league.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #8988 on: July 09, 2020, 10:34:05 AM »
So we’ve been unfit since around 2007? Didn’t GH say the same when he took over, which lead to the fall out with the old guard?

Offline The Edge

« Reply #8989 on: July 09, 2020, 11:08:42 AM »
Fitness levels not being good enough is a distraction tactic often used by new managers to buy a bit of time. Premier league players are all "fit" so I suspect Dean's comments referred to players like McGinn who've been out injured and are striving to regain their peak fitness. Or maybe a dig at our fixture congestion?Liverpool can be said to be fitter than the rest but is that really the case? Players appear fitter when they're running teams ragged because the opposition team is blowing out their arse trying to get the ball off them. What happened to Liverpool's supreme fitness when Man City battered them 5-0 or when Watford beat them 3-0?

Offline Lastfootstamper

« Reply #8990 on: July 09, 2020, 11:27:04 AM »
Fitness levels not being good enough is a distraction tactic often used by new managers to buy a bit of time. Premier league players are all "fit" so I suspect Dean's comments referred to players like McGinn who've been out injured and are striving to regain their peak fitness. Or maybe a dig at our fixture congestion?Liverpool can be said to be fitter than the rest but is that really the case? Players appear fitter when they're running teams ragged because the opposition team is blowing out their arse trying to get the ball off them. What happened to Liverpool's supreme fitness when Man City battered them 5-0 or when Watford beat them 3-0?

It's as plain as a Bulgarian pin-up! Any other examples, or just those two?

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #8991 on: July 09, 2020, 11:29:51 AM »
So the players aren't fit enough after a year, and the strikers have to be reminded that they should play further forward and try to score some goals. I take it all back, the bloke's a coaching genius.

I noticed yesterday that the questions at the press briefing were noticeably a lot more antagonistic than usual, and Smith seemed much more defensive, and looked flustered.  I wonder if he's been told already that if we go down, he's out of the door?

I hope so. He needs to be questioned about his utter ineptitude.

He's very lucky these games are being played without fans. As are the things with two legs masquerading as football players.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #8992 on: July 09, 2020, 11:36:13 AM »

I hope so. He needs to be questioned about his utter ineptitude.

He's very lucky these games are being played without fans. As are the things with two legs masquerading as football players.

Spot on mate.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #8993 on: July 09, 2020, 11:53:15 AM »

It's as plain as a Bulgarian pin-up! Any other examples, or just those two?
What do you mean?

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #8994 on: July 09, 2020, 12:20:35 PM »
“It's as plain as a Bulgarian pin-up!“
Copyright, Arnold Rimmer, Red Dwarf.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #8995 on: July 09, 2020, 12:22:06 PM »
The ONLY team since 1st Feb whose not won a league game in the Prem

Offline ez

« Reply #8996 on: July 09, 2020, 12:25:41 PM »

It could be in that new contract of his. A free pass for the season but we get shot of him cheaply if we go down. Stable doors and horses.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8997 on: July 09, 2020, 12:29:46 PM »
What happened to Liverpool's supreme fitness when Man City battered them 5-0 or when Watford beat them 3-0?

In the Man City case, I imagine it took a temporary break as they all went out and got plastered after winning the title.  With Watford, they just had an extremely rare off day.  As ever, I bet they were quite glad they had us after City.  Nothing like playing Aston Villa when you need to get back on track.  We're the football equivalent of a fry up when you've got a hangover.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #8998 on: July 09, 2020, 12:42:04 PM »
What happened to Liverpool's supreme fitness when Man City battered them 5-0 or when Watford beat them 3-0?

In the Man City case, I imagine it took a temporary break as they all went out and got plastered after winning the title.  With Watford, they just had an extremely rare off day.  As ever, I bet they were quite glad they had us after City.  Nothing like playing Aston Villa when you need to get back on track.  We're the football equivalent of a fry up when you've got a hangover.

Very Good.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #8999 on: July 09, 2020, 12:57:02 PM »

Ah, yes, everyone says how bad they are for you but you can't get enough.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal