collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 09:03:14 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by GordonCowansisthegreatest
[Today at 08:59:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522506 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #8970 on: July 08, 2020, 05:27:03 PM »
I think I am the only poster on here who heard the exerpts from Darius Vassell's Turkish Diary on Radio 3.

Was it like Ian Rush's time in Turin? Apparently that was like being in a foreign country.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #8971 on: July 08, 2020, 05:32:22 PM »
I think I am the only poster on here who heard the exerpts from Darius Vassell's Turkish Diary on Radio 3.

You said you heard them on Radio 4 in the past which seems far more plausible.

You'll be telling us you can hear the crowd noise from an empty stadium next.

Perhaps auditory hallucinations and the impending schitzophrenia are what comes of watching us at the moment?

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #8972 on: July 08, 2020, 05:46:27 PM »
It was quite possiblly on both oldhill.  The reading on one channel the critique on the other.  It was well received by the literary critics.  They loved the imagery of a black, Birmingham born professional footballer locking himself in his hotel room, only to come out for training and matches.  And my schitzophrenia is not impending, it is up front and centre.  As for crowd noise I have been listening to it all afternoon between rain breaks at the empty Rosebowl Stadium.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #8973 on: July 08, 2020, 07:34:38 PM »
It's just human nature really. In the top 6 days under MON we had relentless moaning aswell when we went a few games without a win or fielded an understrength team in the europa (with good reason it turns out).

It's been a disappointing season however you spin it. One because we've again failed to build on momentum we generated 12 months ago which seems a speciality of the club in last 20 years. Other reason is we've spent large chunks of season outside the bottom 3. Even in mid January we had a good chance to push on and be where say Brighton are now, as good as safe.

It will be disappointing to go straight back down. However I don't believe it will be disastrous as 2016 could've easily been.

I think this is right. I’ve spent most of the season on the various threads here, trying to be reasonably positive, or at least in my own opinion, pragmatic. I don’t like the constant griping at smith it just feels a bit draining and sometimes the easy way out of actually analysing what’s going on at the club. But saying all of that, I realised in lockdown what an incredibly stressful season this has been. I’ve seen some shite down there over the years, but usually the real shite of relegation or near enough relegation came after the culmination of a few dire years, e.g. the mid 80’s or 2015. This feels much harder after the massive highs of March to May last year and feeling in the summer like the club had a genuine heartbeat in Grealish, McGinn and Mings. I would of took 17th this season and we still might get it, but everything has just been so bloody hard, just 3 wins and a couple of draws on the bounce at some stage of the season would of just relieved the bloody tension of it all for a month at least.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #8974 on: July 08, 2020, 08:15:59 PM »
Just a small point but one which I'd expect the Manager of a great club like Aston Villa to get right.  In his pre-United press conference Dean said that our destiny is still in our own hands at this point because West Ham and Watford have to play each other.  That's not the case I'm afraid because even if we win our last 5 and gain 15 points, if Watford beat West Ham, both teams can still beat our total by gaining a remaining 12 points until the end of the season. As I said, not a huge issue as very unlikely to happen in any case but at least get your facts right if you are going to make such claims!

He must have known something you didn’t.

Offline The_ads

« Reply #8975 on: July 08, 2020, 11:40:33 PM »
Burnley are 9th. But Dyche isn’t good enough for us because he doesn’t play those pretty triangles and shit. LOL.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #8976 on: July 08, 2020, 11:52:47 PM »
I’d take Dyche tomorrow. A few years of finishing solid mid table flirting with Europe. Yes please. And just because we are Aston Villa we don’t need to shop in exotic markets. I would much rather find the players he has and compliment them with some more quality additions. I’d even toss in a pack of throat sweets to seal the deal.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #8977 on: July 09, 2020, 07:18:53 AM »
Dean quoted in the Daily Mail as saying we haven't been fit enough this season, I agree, the levels of fitness of nearly all the opposition seemed to have risen hugely in the three years we've been away.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #8978 on: July 09, 2020, 07:41:15 AM »
I thought he was head coach.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #8979 on: July 09, 2020, 07:57:51 AM »
Dean quoted in the Daily Mail as saying we haven't been fit enough this season, I agree, the levels of fitness of nearly all the opposition seemed to have risen hugely in the three years we've been away.
Blimey, if it's taken this long to notice something that was being remarked upon here back in August-September, (i) he obviously doesn't log on here and (ii) what has he been doing these last 10 months?

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8980 on: July 09, 2020, 08:09:07 AM »
It takes time, though. Look at Liverpool. When Klopp arrived, it was clear what he wanted the players to do, I remember him getting frustrated at them. He's been there 5 years, and he only got them fully firing last season. I know they're the extreme, and it's not necessary to reach their level to merely get by, but if you're starting with a base squad like ours, where we've many players 'made of fog', it's never going to be a quick process.

I think players need to take greater personal responsibility to work on it if they expect to play in the top division for any length of time. Look at lockdown. For weeks there was not a lot that players could work on other than fitness and stamina. How many of ours would you say did?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #8981 on: July 09, 2020, 08:29:11 AM »
It takes time, though. Look at Liverpool. When Klopp arrived, it was clear what he wanted the players to do, I remember him getting frustrated at them. He's been there 5 years, and he only got them fully firing last season. I know they're the extreme, and it's not necessary to reach their level to merely get by, but if you're starting with a base squad like ours, where we've many players 'made of fog', it's never going to be a quick process.

I think players need to take greater personal responsibility to work on it if they expect to play in the top division for any length of time. Look at lockdown. For weeks there was not a lot that players could work on other than fitness and stamina. How many of ours would you say did?

Luiz definitely did and it's made a big difference.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #8982 on: July 09, 2020, 08:32:26 AM »

I know the levels are different, but I heard the Wycombe manager talking about the programme their players had designed for them by the sports science people there.

The object was to have them Match fit by the time they were due to play in early July. He was confident by the time they started training that they were, and then they win the first game back 4-1. The pace of the game was exactly that of a pre lockdown game, but Wycombe were ready.

It’s an area we seem to have struggled with since the MON days when a certain JT mentioned we got tired after 70 minutes.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #8983 on: July 09, 2020, 08:33:49 AM »

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #8984 on: July 09, 2020, 09:12:23 AM »
Dyche would be great for us.  But it wouldn't take long for people to start bashing his playing style as he eeked out 1-0's away and had players who could defend robustly rather than playing it out from the back and losing it within ten seconds of gaining possession from the goalkeeper.  Those sorts of effective, stable, boring if you will types are never good enough for us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal