collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 09:03:14 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by GordonCowansisthegreatest
[Today at 08:59:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522495 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #8940 on: July 08, 2020, 03:38:50 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me how much moaning goes on about the perceived moaning or pessimism.  As if there's something incomprehensible about why people are pessimistic at this particular moment in time.

It's not the pessimism that's difficult to understand; it's the relentlessness.

Absolutely. The frustration is understandable. It's almost as if some people try and sound angrier than they did the day before.

I think the bigger problem is that once the pessimism kicks in EVERYTHING is shit, Mings isn't worth £15m, we'll be lucky if get £50m for Jack and he's not that good anyway, Luiz is playing well so he'll definitely leave to go back to Man City, Smith just got lucky last season, Purslow is shit and should be sacked, etc etc.

No one is claiming things are great but it's also clearly not true that everything is terrible, it's doesn't have to be one or the other.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #8941 on: July 08, 2020, 03:41:03 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me how much moaning goes on about the perceived moaning or pessimism.  As if there's something incomprehensible about why people are pessimistic at this particular moment in time.

Absolutely. The frustration is understandable. It's almost as if some people try and sound angrier than they did the day before.

I think the bigger problem is that once the pessimism kicks in EVERYTHING is shit, Mings isn't worth £15m, we'll be lucky if get £50m for Jack and he's not that good anyway, Luiz is playing well so he'll definitely leave to go back to Man City, Smith just got lucky last season, Purslow is shit and should be sacked, etc etc.

No one is claiming things are great but it's also clearly not true that everything is terrible, it's doesn't have to be one or the other.

Just a touch of exaggeration there

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #8942 on: July 08, 2020, 03:43:17 PM »

Precisely. It the hyperbole that kills you. Something is not right so lets burn everything. It's the kind of thinking that gets us Brexit.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8943 on: July 08, 2020, 03:44:52 PM »

Being on the verge of relegation is pretty terrible though.  We've still got some good players (not nearly enough) but the big picture item at the moment is that we're going down again.  Which will lead to another huge amount of uncertainty, ie probable loss of players, financial difficulties and unknown number of years playing dross like Coventry, the shite and Rotherham.

We might get lucky, keep some of the better players, and storm back up whether under Smith or somebody else, but I doubt it.  The reality is that we will probably have no option but to sell the likes of Grealish and McGinn, at which point we've got to hope that we can find suitable replacements for another crack at the Championship.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8944 on: July 08, 2020, 03:46:27 PM »
Precisely. It the hyperbole that kills you. Something is not right so lets burn everything. It's the kind of thinking that gets us Brexit.

"It's the hyperbole that kills you" *follows up with something very hyperbolic*

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #8945 on: July 08, 2020, 03:46:38 PM »

What's the exaggeration? Are any of the examples I've given not things that have been said on this forum in the last week?

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #8946 on: July 08, 2020, 03:47:08 PM »
Is anyone saying that though?  Seems to me the reaction this season is either sack Dean or sack Suso or do nothing.  Everyone would agree we need to buy and sell a few players.  Our performances have been so poor that something has to change.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #8947 on: July 08, 2020, 03:47:39 PM »
It's just human nature really. In the top 6 days under MON we had relentless moaning aswell when we went a few games without a win or fielded an understrength team in the europa (with good reason it turns out).

It's been a disappointing season however you spin it. One because we've again failed to build on momentum we generated 12 months ago which seems a speciality of the club in last 20 years. Other reason is we've spent large chunks of season outside the bottom 3. Even in mid January we had a good chance to push on and be where say Brighton are now, as good as safe.

It will be disappointing to go straight back down. However I don't believe it will be disastrous as 2016 could've easily been.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #8948 on: July 08, 2020, 03:48:50 PM »
I’m not bothering quoting anyone, but if Dean Smth just “got lucky” last season, then we’ll put this season down to “bad luck” if that’s the case.

Much harder to fire a manager for just bad luck.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #8949 on: July 08, 2020, 03:51:19 PM »

What's the exaggeration? Are any of the examples I've given not things that have been said on this forum in the last week?

If they're not all coming from the same individual then the point is moot. I haven't seen anyone maintain all of what you've mentioned above. You can't just pick at disparate negative posts from people you don't agree with, cobble them all together, and say "Look! Ent it hysterical?"

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #8950 on: July 08, 2020, 03:53:52 PM »
when you've lost as many games as we have, thrown away as many points as we have and signed as many mediocre players as we have, it's not a question of bad luck.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #8951 on: July 08, 2020, 03:56:42 PM »
Is anyone saying that though?  Seems to me the reaction this season is either sack Dean or sack Suso or do nothing.  Everyone would agree we need to buy and sell a few players.  Our performances have been so poor that something has to change.

That post is perfectly reasonable though, many others aren't.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #8952 on: July 08, 2020, 03:59:49 PM »
I've seen posts that suggest we should get rid of the Head Coach, DoF, CEO and that the owners are shit. That players aren't worth anything like what we paid for them, that they are all 'shit' when the reality isn't anywhere near everything being so bad.

We're not in a great place but any expectation that we should be doing far better are pie in the sky.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #8953 on: July 08, 2020, 04:05:49 PM »

I think most posters are saying the same.  the tactics and recruitment has been poor.  We do not have the players, Dean can't raise their level.  Something has to give.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8954 on: July 08, 2020, 04:06:17 PM »

I

Agreed.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal