collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522208 times)

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #8895 on: July 08, 2020, 12:27:22 PM »
Your first sentence is completely wrong though. Its not over, by any means. You think we're going down, everybody is very worried and thinks its a strong possibility. But its not over at all.
We have 2 points from our last 8 matches. We are 4 points behind Watford with 5 left. We’ve beaten Arsenal once in a decade and Man U once this century. It’s over.

Fair enough, you've given up. That's your call, I just don't agree.
Nothing to give up because I have literally no influence over the outcome one way or the other.
Exactly.  'Giving up' has nothing to do with it.  It's just speculating where we'll end up.  Some say down, some say stay up.  Although I would say what we've learned from the season so far suggests staying up is unlikely.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #8896 on: July 08, 2020, 12:28:18 PM »
You've given up any belief you had that we could stay up. You're amongst company, that's everybody's prerogative.

Offline Ads

« Reply #8897 on: July 08, 2020, 12:36:03 PM »
Your first sentence is completely wrong though. Its not over, by any means. You think we're going down, everybody is very worried and thinks its a strong possibility. But its not over at all.
We have 2 points from our last 8 matches. We are 4 points behind Watford with 5 left. We’ve beaten Arsenal once in a decade and Man U once this century. It’s over.

Nothing to give up because I have literally no influence over the outcome one way or the other.
Exactly.  'Giving up' has nothing to do with it.  It's just speculating where we'll end up.  Some say down, some say stay up.  Although I would say what we've learned from the season so far suggests staying up is unlikely.

I don't agree.

People saying we're down, its over, we're relegated, we've failed arent speculating- they're dealing in absolutes.

The only fact is, that it is self evidently not over. There is a chance and we can ruminate over that chance and what stats or intangibles and so on influence an opinion one way or the other.

But over it is not. I desperately hope that more people change their mind at 10pm on Thursday and I'm sure everybody hopes to be convinced otherwise too.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #8898 on: July 08, 2020, 12:40:13 PM »
n

And round and round it goes. The beauty of a forum of ideas in a nutshell.

2 points out of 27....it doesn't bode well does it?

Offline Ads

« Reply #8899 on: July 08, 2020, 12:46:16 PM »
It is indeed! All about opinions and arseholes.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8900 on: July 08, 2020, 12:46:42 PM »
The thing is, the people on here who are saying 'we' re down,  its over, we're shit,the fat lady has already sang' etc will be the first on here being angry if we lose on Thursday.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #8901 on: July 08, 2020, 12:49:25 PM »
The thing is, the people on here who are saying 'we' re down,  its over, we're shit,the fat lady has already sang' etc will be the first on here being angry if we lose on Thursday.
So what?

Offline Ads

« Reply #8902 on: July 08, 2020, 12:52:31 PM »
I think we'll lose on Thursday and still can stay up. Splitter me.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #8903 on: July 08, 2020, 12:55:28 PM »
i think we are not going to win another game this season and that we will be relegated. But so what? It won't materially alter my life one iota.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #8904 on: July 08, 2020, 12:55:59 PM »

It's the same posters, year after year, manager after manager, bad run after bad run.

I think we're up the creek, but it's not over, and one surprise result and the whole picture changes. I did laugh this morning though when it seemed reading this thread that Smith had become a worse manager because Watford beat Norwich.

Online Lastfootstamper

« Reply #8905 on: July 08, 2020, 12:56:33 PM »

Me too. Something would be nice, but it's not imperative.

Offline Ads

« Reply #8906 on: July 08, 2020, 01:00:01 PM »

Me too. Something would be nice, but it's not imperative.

Something would be very nice indeed. Odious bag of cocks that they are. Plus lessens the likelihood of Grealish leaving for them if we help feck their Champions League aspirations en route to survival.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #8907 on: July 08, 2020, 01:03:45 PM »
So what?

It's a bit like people who go on the pre-match thread and predict we'll lose 6-0, we lose 2-0 and are still angry even though we lost by four goals than they were expecting. Each to their own though.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #8908 on: July 08, 2020, 01:46:45 PM »
Happy enough with this.

One word of caution, Dean is a bit of a slow burner. Takes a while for his methods to really click into place at Walsall and Brentford. Yes better players here but they need to be organised and coached. He will do that but needs time.

I think our rest of the season will probably be similar to when SB came in. Next season is when I really expect us to look good providing FFP dosen't cripple us.

I would imagine Richard O'Kelly will be coming in to join the staff. Dean's number 2 at Walsall and Brentford. Used to manage Hereford.

Having trawled through the first ten pages or so of this thread, this one stuck out.

He needs time, and so far he's worked with two squads. One of which needed reinforcements to get us up (Grealish and Mings) and this one, that is just about hanging on in the league despite having a lot of new additions.

It's interesting to see how happy most people were with the appointments at the time.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8909 on: July 08, 2020, 01:56:46 PM »

It's the same posters, year after year, manager after manager, bad run after bad run.

What do you honestly expect after the best part of ten years of absolute shite on top of absolute shite?  Fans to be happy about another shit manager serving up another appalling season?  The Championship was shit, and now we've got another year at least of it to look forward to.  Great.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal