collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522375 times)

Offline ez

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #8865 on: July 08, 2020, 10:42:37 AM »
If we're looking long term then Smith isn't the man for us because hes not premier league.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #8866 on: July 08, 2020, 10:42:45 AM »
Chris Wilder - British manager - has already done what I suspect Bielsa will do: promote a squad of players and have them playing fast, aggressive and mid-table Premier League football in their first season in the EPL.
For me, it's about the sustainable building of a squad of players who play for each other, are super-fit, use the ball effectively and are committed to a vision that the manager has articulated and 'sold' to them; seeking to improve incrementally the overall squad quality every time the transfer market opens.

I agree but that requires a level of stability that we haven’t had in years and will be a step further away if, as seems likely, we change the manager again this year.

The profile of candidate we can attract if we are relegated will obviously change but a commitment to a long term vision rather than a quick fix to appease impatient fans should be a prerequisite to any appointment.
Agreed, Chris; and - I think - the owners saw Smith as the executor of their long-term vision.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #8867 on: July 08, 2020, 10:44:17 AM »
If relegation is confirmed. Best to carry out the post mortem when the patient is dead. Ethics and mixed metaphors but we ain't fucking down yet, not matter how many circles of despair folks want to run down.

Its likely, its a strong possibility, its right to hypothesise, ponder, plan, but it is not over.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #8868 on: July 08, 2020, 10:47:40 AM »
It’s shit that on Thursday, Man U will field Rashford and Greenwood from their youth system. We have Davis and Vassilev. The gap in quality of products coming out of our system vs the likes of Man U or Chelsea is frightening.
And this is despite the club making big claims about the plans  for our academy becoming one of "the best in Europe" We continue to lose our most promising talents to Man City/Chelsea etc. .

Have we?

Offline Ads

« Reply #8869 on: July 08, 2020, 10:49:43 AM »
last player to Man City was sold 5 years ago.

The one before that was 10 years ago.

I cannot recall who we've sold to Chelsea, ever.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #8870 on: July 08, 2020, 10:50:22 AM »
Comparisons with Lambert are unfair. Smith has been naive and in my opinion we should be doing better with this squad but Lambert was on another level when it came to incomprehensible incompetence.

Not sure I agree with that. Lambert did better at Norwich and Colchester than Smith did at Brentford and Walsall.

At no point could Lambert call on a player as talented as Grealish, and he was in a tougher league having to slowly replace the squad with cheap punts circling the bowl closer each season.

Smith had the best squad in a shit league and could throw money at it, plus Grealish and Tammy.

Neither were much good and will be hoping for better next time.
Very good points

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #8871 on: July 08, 2020, 10:52:30 AM »

Tony Dorigo?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8872 on: July 08, 2020, 10:53:31 AM »
I reckon Barry Fry could coach a team with Jack, McGinn, Mings and Tammy to a play off spot in the Championship.

Offline Ads

« Reply #8873 on: July 08, 2020, 10:53:56 AM »
I reckon Barry Fry could coach a team with Jack, McGinn, Mings and Tammy to a play off spot in the Championship.

Bruce couldn't.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #8874 on: July 08, 2020, 10:55:19 AM »
Comparisons with Lambert are unfair. Smith has been naive and in my opinion we should be doing better with this squad but Lambert was on another level when it came to incomprehensible incompetence.

Not sure I agree with that. Lambert did better at Norwich and Colchester than Smith did at Brentford and Walsall.

At no point could Lambert call on a player as talented as Grealish, and he was in a tougher league having to slowly replace the squad with cheap punts circling the bowl closer each season.

Smith had the best squad in a shit league and could throw money at it, plus Grealish and Tammy.

Neither were much good and will be hoping for better next time.
Very good points

Except ignoring that Lambert had Benteke, the fact that we had to replace virtually an entire squad in less than three months on limited funds and if you're saying it was only Grealish's return that got us promoted you should add that losing Wesley, Heaton and McGinn long-term were also factors this season. That's without the changed rules since restart that have hampered clubs such as our disproportionately.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 10:57:07 AM by dave.woodhall »

Offline SteveN

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #8875 on: July 08, 2020, 10:58:42 AM »

Tony Dorigo?

Tony Hateley

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8876 on: July 08, 2020, 10:59:26 AM »
Lambert didn't just "have" Benteke, he found and signed him, and coached him to be a success.  About the only good thing he did in his time here, apart from just about manage to keep us up.  Smith has been an unmitigated failure this year.

Offline Ads

« Reply #8877 on: July 08, 2020, 11:03:58 AM »
I don't know how you draw that conclusion before the season has concluded.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #8878 on: July 08, 2020, 11:04:42 AM »
In absolute terms Ads it is over.  We are a club that will go down or we are a club that will survive by the thinnest skin of its teeth.  I regard either of those scenarios as unacceptable given the time and money that has been wasted at the club for the last ten years.  This season has been a failure with a capital F for a host of reasons.  The only reason for any Villa fan to be happy when the next five games have been played is because we have become resigned to mediocrity.

Offline Ads

« Reply #8879 on: July 08, 2020, 11:08:26 AM »
Your first sentence is completely wrong though. Its not over, by any means. You think we're going down, everybody is very worried and thinks its a strong possibility. But its not over at all.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal