collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522347 times)

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #8835 on: July 07, 2020, 09:31:04 PM »
Smith is clueless. Out of his depth. Got lucky last season. Totally lost the plot this one. I really wanted everything to work out for him and us but it has all gone pear-shaped. Not much has gone right for us this season.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #8836 on: July 07, 2020, 09:31:52 PM »
I'd be amazed if there wasn't some relegation clause in the deal e.g. we pay him a bit less in severance if we go down.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #8837 on: July 07, 2020, 09:33:13 PM »
yep another day of bitterness, anger and doubt. The 4 year deal was stupidity with hundreds and thousands sprinkled on top.

I'm not too sure how much difference the contract he signed makes.
and no one knows what is in the contract, there could be all sorts of performance related clauses and limitations.

Online wince

« Reply #8838 on: July 08, 2020, 01:17:27 AM »
Barry?

He made his debut for us in 1998. That's 23 bloody years ago.

22 years. If not, do we escape relegation doc brown?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #8839 on: July 08, 2020, 02:16:10 AM »
Barry?

He made his debut for us in 1998. That's 23 bloody years ago.

22 years. If not, do we escape relegation doc brown?

No, and worse to come. Edens ends up in a bar fight with the Sawari’s after the final whistle at West Ham. Didn’t see it but a chair and a mirror are involved. Suffice it say, they break up, we get sold to the same blokes who just took over Wigan. We find Jack has a clause for £25m which starts a bidding war and he fucks off to Man City. McGinn posts a middle finger on Twitter and ends up at Palace. Mings is seen catching a train to Merseyside in full Everton kit. And Douglas Luiz hasn’t been seen since. Dean Smith is given a new 5 year deal and his first move is to tie down Drinkwater to a long term contract pointing to his great performances in training.

The North Stand is partially knocked down before money runs out. So it’s just rubble. Oh and the Sty gets hit by meteor and now both Coventry and the filth have to play at what’s left of Villa Park.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #8840 on: July 08, 2020, 07:11:12 AM »
Smith is clueless. Out of his depth. Got lucky last season. Totally lost the plot this one. I really wanted everything to work out for him and us but it has all gone pear-shaped. Not much has gone right for us this season.

Ten game winning run, through the play offs, wins at Wembley.

But he “got lucky”.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #8841 on: July 08, 2020, 07:18:02 AM »
He did. The return of Grealish after the previous set of results was pivotal.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #8842 on: July 08, 2020, 07:34:49 AM »
I don't think he's clueless. The way he's tightened up at the back post lock down shows how much he's worked on team shape, but learning on the job with a squad not used to the prem is a really tough ask. Then to have massive injuries, a huge amount of harsh luck with VAR and this lock down to contend with, the whole 5 subs thing etc, I think it's been a very, very tough gig this season.

Do I think he could bring us straight back.... Not sure. Would I prefer Dyche to come in? Yes.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #8843 on: July 08, 2020, 07:38:10 AM »
It’s shit that on Thursday, Man U will field Rashford and Greenwood from their youth system. We have Davis and Vassilev. The gap in quality of products coming out of our system vs the likes of Man U or Chelsea is frightening.

The general feeling is that over the years both Albion and Wolves overtook us the most attractive destinations in the Midlands for young players, we are on the way to starting to reverse that, in some ways by pinching 8 of Albions staff.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #8844 on: July 08, 2020, 07:43:31 AM »

Ten game winning run, through the play offs, wins at Wembley.

But he “got lucky”.

Mings coming in January and Jack back helped him, plus having probably the best team / squad in the league.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #8845 on: July 08, 2020, 08:15:39 AM »
TV, seriously, I find your dystopian oracle gazing oddly comforting.  You missed out the Holte Upper tier being closed and Bodymoor Heath being used for thrice weekly car boot sales but the nightmare you describe at least defines where the end of this road could be.  Anything less terrifying can be seen as a turning of a corner and something to hope for.  Let's face it Hope is about all we have these days.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #8846 on: July 08, 2020, 08:19:48 AM »
Hope over reality is what defines football fans.
If we beat ManUre tomorrow - unlikely though it might be - there will be a tsunami-rush of hope here, taking us way beyond the reality of the next game.
Life's a rollercoaster, man!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8847 on: July 08, 2020, 08:30:37 AM »
Unlikely being the word there.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #8848 on: July 08, 2020, 08:49:34 AM »
As you get older reality gets a tighter grip.  The ups and down become flatter because you are more than ever aware that a down follows every up and an up follows a down.  You need two things to complete the ride, the fare and a pulse.  I have both, but only just.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #8849 on: July 08, 2020, 09:09:19 AM »
As you get older reality gets a tighter grip.  The ups and down become flatter because you are more than ever aware that a down follows every up and an up follows a down.  You need two things to complete the ride, the fare and a pulse.  I have both, but only just.
So true. Although my flat is a much more disappointing level than it once aspired to be where Villa is concerned. I wrote a piece once on here about the importance of villa. I don't think I'd recognise that anymore such is the regular beating the last 10 years of supporting the club has given my fragile flatline.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal