collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522233 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #8775 on: July 06, 2020, 06:51:52 PM »
So did Sheffield United.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #8776 on: July 06, 2020, 08:44:27 PM »
Would Wilder be able to emulate his success at a bigger club though? i think he's the ultimate example of a fan manager making good - unlike Dean.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #8777 on: July 06, 2020, 08:45:49 PM »
Would Wilder be able to emulate his success at a bigger club though? i think he's the ultimate example of a fan manager making good - unlike Dean.

Probably not. But he's shown that you don't have to rip up your team or style when you get promoted to the Prem.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #8778 on: July 06, 2020, 09:10:24 PM »
One thing I will say in defence of Smith is that in that he still appears to have the support of the players despite under par results since the restart.

Defensively we're looking solid and, even if we concede, we don't fold like a pack of cards.

But with Yanited coming next I don't want to be tempting fate on that one. 

It's not enough, but we're not playing like a side just filling out time. Mings, McGinn, Luiz as well as Grealish all know they'll most likely be off should we go down but the first three at least are still playing like it's in the balance and want to stay.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 09:29:57 PM by KevinGage »

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #8779 on: July 06, 2020, 10:09:54 PM »

Who knows, but he’s done it at all his jobs hasn’t he? i.e. outperformed expectations based on his squad.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #8780 on: July 06, 2020, 11:12:46 PM »
The “ we will be ok if we go down” is fantasy, we won’t. This squad is not set up too deal with Division 2 and the heart will be ripped out of it.We will end up with some expensive, cant get rid of players which does nothing for squad harmony and togetherness and need to replace many key players.
As well as the psychological blow you have the huge reorganisation required.
We then have the worry concerning our owners appetite.

Same happened last time didn't it? Infact I'd be amazed if anyone was to argue the 2016 squad was better than this one. Yet we came up within three years (could've been two if we'd turned up v Fulham). Also Jordan Ayew was our best attacking player that season and he stayed although ironically he didn't do much in the championship.

How did we bounce back so quickly? Three years really isn't that long when you see Forest, Sheff Weds and Leeds have a combined 57 years out of the top division now.

People forgetting we will be a big fish in small pond again and can actually attract better players than being a premier league struggler. Last time out we signed Chester, Kodjia, Adomah, Jedinak in that first transfer window. All were involved when we won the play off final but for one reason or another couldn't contribute in the premier league.

Think that's what we need to learn for next time. The 4-5 we sign to freshen up and improve the 11 need not just to be standout players in championship but also have the potential to be good players in premier league.
It was 3 years , 2 play offs a winding up petition and a financial rescue. You have no idea what the squad will look like, who the manager will be, our ability to sign better players, how many we will need, how many deadbeats we can get off the books and no idea what our owners will do.
Other than that, it will be a piece of piss.

3 years is nothing when you compare it to Leeds, Forest and Sheff Weds. Sunderland look like they'll be out of premier league for at least a decade, likes of SHA and Blackburn already have been pretty much. Newcastle tend to be the only reasonable big side that tends to always bounce back to the prem at first attempt.

I assume the new owners won't run us into the ground like Xia did and there's some sort of sensible plan on getting relegated. I they're as good as everyone says there are then I don't understand why it would take longer than last time given we did go down in 2016 with a terrible squad and a club that was burning and then had a chancer running the show for two years.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #8781 on: July 06, 2020, 11:14:34 PM »
Indeed. Lose Harry Maguire and find Soyuncu - who looks a far more accomplished player.

They raked in a bunch from selling Mahrez, Kante, Drinkwater and will do so again this summer when Chilwell likely moves on. Didn’t they pay a small fee for Johnny Evans? He’s been superb for them.

£3.5m FFS, or about as much as Henri Lansbury if you like.

30 years old when they signed him. I get the feeling if he'd been available last season we'd have put him in the same category as Cahill given the four CBs we did sign were all 26 or younger.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #8782 on: July 06, 2020, 11:17:04 PM »
They’ve done some bloody good business over the last 8 years haven’t they?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #8783 on: July 06, 2020, 11:21:54 PM »
They’ve done some bloody good business over the last 8 years haven’t they?

Not to mention their acquisitions of Vardy and Schmeichel who between them cost around £2m

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #8784 on: July 06, 2020, 11:28:44 PM »
Yep, it’s been consistently superb on their transfer dealings, sold and bought so well. It can’t be a fluke for this long can it?

And then us over the same period (or longer), fucking hell it’s depressing. That’s not a fluke either.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #8785 on: July 07, 2020, 12:02:44 AM »
They've also bought some right donkeys for big money, £50m on Silva and Slimani for example.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #8786 on: July 07, 2020, 12:17:52 AM »
I'm not against Smith. I thought he's done what was asked for him when it was obvious Bruce was a busted flush. He deserved this season I think on merit. The whole summer rebuild was madness  and hampered him but he had no option. Wrong players bought - certainly. More premier experience needed, definetely. Covid compounded it to my mind - four months off when half the team was new. Rotten luck.

Not so sure we give him next season though if we go down. On the one hand i think we would be up there next season in the championship if he stayed. On the other hand, i've got increasingly worried about his judgement since we returned. The liverpool game has really bugged me if im honest and the forward situation. If you haven't got a forward worthy of the name then play a midfielder there, or a youth player who knows where the net is.. Anything. Don't just stick a guy with the attacking threat of a rubber sword up front and hope. And then witter on about how many chances we created afterwards. We know. We could be still playing now, have chances in 3 figures and we still wouldn't have scored.  I've got nothing against Davis and i think a lot of his play is rather good, but he's utterly pointless as a forward and the longer Smith plays him, the more doubts i have about him staying next season.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #8787 on: July 07, 2020, 12:20:26 AM »
One thing I will say in defence of Smith is that in that he still appears to have the support of the players despite under par results since the restart.

Defensively we're looking solid and, even if we concede, we don't fold like a pack of cards.

But with Yanited coming next I don't want to be tempting fate on that one. 

It's not enough, but we're not playing like a side just filling out time. Mings, McGinn, Luiz as well as Grealish all know they'll most likely be off should we go down but the first three at least are still playing like it's in the balance and want to stay.
Thought the same, 2 nil down Sunday and handful of minutes remaining and I thought the entire team were still working trying to get something. No one blaming anyone else, no finger pointing , just putting a shift in . Please do this in the next five games and we might just pull this off 🙏

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #8788 on: July 07, 2020, 12:39:44 AM »
there was a lot of credit in that performance but still believe to survive Smith has to be un-orthodox, the forward set up is not working so time to experiment.
I would instruct Grealish to stay forward with Samatta and have McGinn filling the space behind, United will not play leaving Grealish in a one on one, so will have to drop a player back as cover.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #8789 on: July 07, 2020, 09:02:28 AM »
can it really be that simple?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal