collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by astonvilla82
[Today at 06:07:12 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by astonvilla82
[Today at 06:07:12 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:57:04 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:44 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1517827 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #8715 on: July 05, 2020, 11:28:58 PM »
He hasn't managed to get a tune out of the players.  They battled well today until Liverpool found a way to break our concentration and we still lost.  We might be harder to beat, but we are still losing games.  I don't think he has improved a single player under his management.  Regardless of whether he purchased any of them or not, it's his job to inspire and motivate them and he hasn't done that either.  I see nothing in Dean Smith that tells me he is able to turn this around.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #8716 on: July 05, 2020, 11:46:06 PM »
The blokes who took us over when we were hours from administration, got us promoted when relegation was looking more likely and have stuck in hundreds of millions of pounds? Those shit owners?

What is the expression about a fool and his money?  They don't strike me as fools Dave, but you have to admit, they seem a little slow to act on what appears to be a steady and certain decline towards the Championship?  Maybe they have faith that Dean will pull it out for the bag and will wait to the bitter end to see if that happens but it is looking more and more likely.

They've done o.k so far. Xia was one game from getting us back in the prem and we all know what a mess it was behind the scenes (and I'm not saying it's anything like that now). Getting us back into the prem was the bare minimum. Clearly too much for us but long term goal has to be to get us in contention for europe again given since 2014 newly promoted teams Leicester, Burnley and Wolves have all played at least in europa and Sheffield United are still threatening to make top 7.

Have to say Edens interview a few months ago did worry me a little. Lauding transfer policy of Arsenal which was a bit baffling and saying we'd continue to sign young players with promising stats potential. I simply don't see how we can build a competitive top half premier league team doing that. Been a big failure this season so we simply must adjust the strategy hopefully in 12 months time. And this summer if we can still stay up.

Next manager will also tell plenty. A steady but uninspiring appointment or able to attract manager that will get decent players from europe interested in playing for us as we've seen elsewhere in last few years.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #8717 on: July 06, 2020, 12:06:59 AM »
I can't be bothered checking but does anyone know if Lambert had a run as bad as this, i.e. 10 without a win? I set him as the lowest of low bars. Leaving 15/16 aside of course which was just all sorts of record breakingly shit.

12 without a win saw the end of Lambert. The following season we went 19 without a win!😳

Thanks for replying. The Lambert years seemed to produce a lot of horrific runs but I hadn't realised it had got as bad as 12 without a win. I despised him by the end and was jubilant when he got sacked. Not there at all with Deano, still love him for last season but this run is depressing as hell and as always in these circumstances you just can't see when it's going to end.

Wasn't just the long winless runs, we also wouldn't score a goal for 6 or 7 games.

This season has just been disappointing. Another opportunity to build on the momentum of last four months of last year when the club finally seemed to be making progress but it's all just fizzled out yet again.

I do think we're in a much better place than 2016 when it felt like Rome burning for much of that season. Considering the state we came down and then had Xia for first two years of the championship nearly running us out of business we did very well to get out of championship within 3 years. That's something that won't be happening to Sunderland for obvious reasons and probably Stoke who were relegated in the seasons afterwards.

Surprised at some of the negativity from people thinking we'll be down there even longer this time, I don't see that at all. As long as we make smart strategic decisions regarding transfers (which has been beyond us for at least 10 years) I think we'll bounce straight back.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #8718 on: July 06, 2020, 12:36:41 AM »
On the plus side Burnley have now temporarily sneaked into the top 10 meaning we can finally say we've beaten a top 10 team this season - still 2/42 on offer against the top 8 though.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #8719 on: July 06, 2020, 12:39:03 AM »
As long as we make smart strategic decisions regarding transfers (which has been beyond us for at least 10 years) I think we'll bounce straight back.
That's such a massive 'if' though.  That's what make me worry about next season, plus Dean's never finished higher than fifth, and the player who did more than anyone else to get us up almost certainly won't be here.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #8720 on: July 06, 2020, 12:49:33 AM »
As long as we make smart strategic decisions regarding transfers (which has been beyond us for at least 10 years) I think we'll bounce straight back.
That's such a massive 'if' though.  That's what make me worry about next season, plus Dean's never finished higher than fifth, and the player who did more than anyone else to get us up almost certainly won't be here.

I think we'll keep Heaton and McGinn. We obviously need better in final third but stick a Chester style CB in and I think rest of side looks o.k.

Dean Smith won't be lasting beyond September if we make our annual painstaking slow start to a championship season. Heat will be on him from first game just like it was Steve Bruce.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #8721 on: July 06, 2020, 12:53:08 AM »
I think we'll keep Heaton and McGinn. We obviously need better in final third but stick a Chester style CB in and I think rest of side looks o.k.

Dean Smith won't be lasting beyond September if we make our annual painstaking slow start to a championship season. Heat will be on him from first game just like it was Steve Bruce.
If there's a chance we might pull the trigger in September we might as well bin him at the end of this season, if we do go down.  I suppose it the end it comes down to whether you rate Dean or not and I don't, I'm sorry to say.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #8722 on: July 06, 2020, 01:03:29 AM »
He's avoided the fans turning on him which would have been terrible for him personally, He can't take all the blame but decisions like bringing Jotta on makes me think he's out of his depth.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #8723 on: July 06, 2020, 01:08:18 AM »
A good manager would have us on at least 31-32 points now. We know ourselves that we didn't get enough points from good performances/ opportunities in the first half of the season. Then we had the distraction of the League Cup.

Staying up, by hook or by crook, was the name of the game this season and I feel we have, so far, under-achieved by 4-5 points.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #8724 on: July 06, 2020, 02:42:25 AM »
I'm not a fan of Smith but i ask myself what forward set up and what players do we have that would get us more chances in front of goal.
Just look at the squad, all Smith has are players with very limited ability, maybe throw Louiz forward, as at least he is improving, just rotating the same garbage players will bring the same result. Name your forward set up.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #8725 on: July 06, 2020, 02:54:20 AM »
I'm a lot less concerned about going down this time around. We don't have to sell anyone, but we will because it just makes sense to. And the players that are still here will be good enough for the Championship combined with the right additions. And the competition albeit not to be dismissed won't be as tough as the previous times we were there.

As it relates to Jack, we need to be far more versatile in how we play. It can't all go through one player so moving on from him, whether we stay up or go down isn't the end of thr world. There cannot be such a disparity between one player and the rest. We need different options and in the PL teams are far too good not to shut down your best player.You can get away with it in the Championship.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if Smith stays if we go down. I just don't want him to be our manager if it happens.

Online sid1964

« Reply #8726 on: July 06, 2020, 07:30:15 AM »
Do you honestly think that Mcginn / Mings / Grealish / Luiz etc. will want to play in the championship - not a chance, they will be looking for a way out as soon as relegation is confirmed.

The policy of the club was to buy players who would have a sell on value, and that is what we will be doing.

The players who know that they wont get the money they get paid at Aston Villa anywhere else, will be the one's we are left with, such as- Lansbury / Hourihane

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #8727 on: July 06, 2020, 07:36:32 AM »
The “ we will be ok if we go down” is fantasy, we won’t. This squad is not set up too deal with Division 2 and the heart will be ripped out of it.We will end up with some expensive, cant get rid of players which does nothing for squad harmony and togetherness and need to replace many key players.
As well as the psychological blow you have the huge reorganisation required.
We then have the worry concerning our owners appetite.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8728 on: July 06, 2020, 07:49:06 AM »
Thanks, probably where I am.

I think the frustrating thing is that if we'd have been as organised since January as we were today, and in truth have been for most of the restart, we'd be a couple of points better off and a lot more hopeful.

We've taken two points in 5 games, so I'm not sure how that really translates into any more points, as we just don't look like scoring.  We were fairly well organised yesterday but errors costs us dear again, and that's been the case all season.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8729 on: July 06, 2020, 09:20:49 AM »
The new owners. Just as crap as the last owners.

It's all about opinions I suppose but that is just utter nonsense and one of the more bizarre things I've read on here over the years.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal