collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522217 times)

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #8565 on: July 02, 2020, 10:53:24 AM »
Surely the most pertinent fact for us is no wins in 8 games, and two games coming up where we're going to get smashed into next week.

Like West Ham were going to be last night.

I wasn't at all surprised that they beat Chelsea to be honest.  If we concede fewer than 6 goals in total in the the next two games and manage at least a solitary point, tea and beers in the Bartons are on me at a home game of your choosing next season.

Clouds and silver linings.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #8566 on: July 02, 2020, 10:54:35 AM »
I think we do look better than Bournemouth.  I'm not sure how this is relevant to my comment?

I agree we look better than Bournemouth, which makes it all the more frustrating that they took 6 points off us this season. Win even one of those games and we would not be where we are.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8567 on: July 02, 2020, 11:43:39 AM »
Would we be better off with;

Webster over Engels?
Philips over Nkamba?
Maupy over Wesley?
Benrhama over Tezuguet?

Would we better off, probably on the pitch with most of them yes, could we afford those 4 with FFP??

Engels started well & we all thought he was going to prove a bargain whilst Webster was a bit iffy, he has improved massively whilst Engels seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth-Webster cost twice as much as Engels

Phillips like Nakamba had never played at this level, think we all think he will be better but 30m+ was surely out of our price range?

Maupay over Wesley is a very interesting one, Wesley had 6 goals by Christmas and was just looking as though he had adjusted, Maupay has 9 in the whole season - personally would have backed Wesley to be in double figures by now if he had been fit - Maupay is a nuisance, has a bit of pace and has that horrible streak that we lack - jury out on which is better for me

Benrahma over Trezeguet, again would have cost double so FFP issues but also the most obvious upgrade-Benrahma looks a player whereas Trezeguet is league one at best, hopefully will be out of VP whatever league we are in next season.

If FFP was the barrier to those, then how come we agreed to pay the wages of a waster like Drinkwater, and took on Reina as well in January?

Presumably we would've had to pay wages for Maupay and Benrahma.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8568 on: July 02, 2020, 12:18:15 PM »

Presumably we would've had to pay wages for Maupay and Benrahma.

That's my point.  I bet 'Drinky' and Reina are on miles more than those two would have been.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #8569 on: July 02, 2020, 12:23:36 PM »
if they decide to get rid of Smith after this season, whichever division we are in, they will have to get a move on as there is only going to be about 6-7 weeks between this season ending and the new season starting.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #8570 on: July 02, 2020, 01:09:37 PM »

Webster over Engels?
Philips over Nkamba?
Maupy over Wesley?
Benrhama over Tezuguet?

We would be better off with any of these who did move

Gk
Henderson loan

Defenders
Cahill free
Pontus Jansson 5.5m
Baines or Rose loan instead of Targett

Midfield
1st choice would have been Romain Sawyers around 3m. He would control the tempo and play and pass the ball in midfield

Wanyama as solid defensive midfielder 
Even Arron Mooy 5m

Attackers
Saint-Maximin 16.5m or Bowen 22m
Knockaert on loan
Pereira loan from sporting Lisbon to WBA he's too good for them and the league
Maupay or Ings 20m

Even Jordan Ayew 3m or
Jay Rodriguez 10m
would have been worth a take as an attacking player proven in Prem and at no more than 10mil

« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 01:11:09 PM by Vill I An »

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #8571 on: July 02, 2020, 01:15:45 PM »
Heaton/Henderson
Konsa
Cahill/Jansson
Mings
Baines/Rose
Sawyers
Douglas Luiz
McGinn
Grealish
Bowen
Maupay

That's a proper Dean Smith side

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #8572 on: July 02, 2020, 01:21:41 PM »
We'd have as much chance of signing David De Gea on a permanent deal for £100m as we would of getting Dean Henderson on loan.

It'll be Sheffield United for him again next season, and if he keeps up decent form he'll be at least a back-up at ManUre for many years to come and playing in the cups etc.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #8573 on: July 02, 2020, 01:25:48 PM »
We'd have as much chance of signing David De Gea on a permanent deal for £100m as we would of getting Dean Henderson on loan.

It'll be Sheffield United for him again next season, and if he keeps up decent form he'll be at least a back-up at ManUre for many years to come and playing in the cups etc.

No this was the team that Villa could have had at the start of THIS season if did business a different way

Heaton/Henderson
Konsa
Cahill/Jansson
Mings
Baines/Rose
Sawyers
Douglas Luiz
McGinn
Grealish
Bowen
Maupay/Ings

And it's exciting and exactly sort of team Dean Smith would have and flourish with.
Has everything and could have been achieved

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #8574 on: July 02, 2020, 01:38:03 PM »
I doubt Pontus Jansson, who repeatedly failed to get promoted with Leeds, would have been the answer to all our prayers.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #8575 on: July 02, 2020, 01:43:54 PM »
Sorry, I misunderstood.

The point still stands in retrospect though - he was always going back to Sheffield United again...

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #8576 on: July 02, 2020, 01:46:01 PM »
I doubt Pontus Jansson, who repeatedly failed to get promoted with Leeds, would have been the answer to all our prayers.

He's a very good CB at championship level. Was also a starter for Sweden at last WC (kept Lindelof out of the team) so better international experience than the ones we signed in the summer Was also injured for the second leg v Derby when they imploded defensively.

Would take him next season to fill possible Mings void if Brentford don't go up.

Once it was seen that Chester wouldn't cope with prem football (he's really struggled at Stoke btw) it's really odd that all three of our CBs signings were all under 25 and none of them had played in premier league before.

I'd have taken Jansson last summer tbh. Brentford signed him for 5m and he's the sort of mad bugger that would've become a cult hero with Holte End, we do like our Scandinavian centre halves after all.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #8577 on: July 02, 2020, 01:50:45 PM »

Webster over Engels?
Philips over Nkamba?
Maupy over Wesley?
Benrhama over Tezuguet?

Would we better off, probably on the pitch with most of them yes, could we afford those 4 with FFP??

Engels started well & we all thought he was going to prove a bargain whilst Webster was a bit iffy, he has improved massively whilst Engels seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth-Webster cost twice as much as Engels

Phillips like Nakamba had never played at this level, think we all think he will be better but 30m+ was surely out of our price range?

Maupay over Wesley is a very interesting one, Wesley had 6 goals by Christmas and was just looking as though he had adjusted, Maupay has 9 in the whole season - personally would have backed Wesley to be in double figures by now if he had been fit - Maupay is a nuisance, has a bit of pace and has that horrible streak that we lack - jury out on which is better for me

Benrahma over Trezeguet, again would have cost double so FFP issues but also the most obvious upgrade-Benrahma looks a player whereas Trezeguet is league one at best, hopefully will be out of VP whatever league we are in next season.

If FFP was the barrier to those, then how come we agreed to pay the wages of a waster like Drinkwater, and took on Reina as well in January?

I suspect we’ll never know the answer to that but they would surely have left some room in whatever budget they had for adding in January - you just wonder if the Jan additions would have been v different without the injuries ie a Benrahma or Bowen instead of Samatta/Drinkwater/Reina/Baston

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #8578 on: July 02, 2020, 01:51:41 PM »
Not just that, West Ham had something about them tonight. We would concede that penalty and collapse and lose the game 3-0. We have no battling qualities at all, no nouse to shut down a top 6 teams major threats and certainly in no way savvy enough to go and win a game like that 3-2. We deserve to go down because we’ve been fucking garbage since the turn of the year and even worse since the restart.

Based on what? We've not conceded any penalties, we've not conceded 3. We're the only team in the bottom 5 to have kept a clean sheet, the only team in the bottom 5 to have taken points in two games, and we have the best 'restart' goal difference of the bottom 5. West Ham scored 3 today, and theirs is still -3.

Think it's more we had next to no ambition once we'd scored v Chelsea to do something radical and go and score another goal. Instead we just sat back, scared of leaving our half and just let them put endless crosses into our box. Eventually one finds Pulisic. Then another finds Giroud and Chelsea go 2-1 up without even working too hard.

Just a reminder, West Ham should've been 1 up, got VARed but just got on with things and scored from their next corner.

Watching last night it's clear you need an Antonio type in final third in games against top 6/7. He's not technically great but he'll run all day and be a nuisance to defences with his chasing which can win corners/FKs and chips in with goals.

Perhaps Davis will be like that in two years time if he can stay fit and have a good season next year.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8579 on: July 02, 2020, 01:58:52 PM »
The article linked to in this tweet is broadly on the money, in my arrogant opinion.
https://twitter.com/MatKendrick/status/1278672314075316224

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal