collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by aj2k77
[Today at 10:01:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 10:00:03 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by olaftab
[Today at 09:57:10 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by chrisw1
[Today at 09:56:02 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by john e
[Today at 09:55:13 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by brontebilly
[Today at 09:53:18 AM]

Re: Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by brontebilly
[Today at 09:51:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1521899 times)

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #8550 on: July 02, 2020, 02:44:33 AM »
Watford have two, same as us. Nul points so far for Bournemouth and Norwich since the restart.

Watford have 1.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #8551 on: July 02, 2020, 07:34:20 AM »
Would we be better off with;

Webster over Engels?
Philips over Nkamba?
Maupy over Wesley?
Benrhama over Tezuguet?

Would we better off, probably on the pitch with most of them yes, could we afford those 4 with FFP??

Engels started well & we all thought he was going to prove a bargain whilst Webster was a bit iffy, he has improved massively whilst Engels seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth-Webster cost twice as much as Engels

Phillips like Nakamba had never played at this level, think we all think he will be better but 30m+ was surely out of our price range?

Maupay over Wesley is a very interesting one, Wesley had 6 goals by Christmas and was just looking as though he had adjusted, Maupay has 9 in the whole season - personally would have backed Wesley to be in double figures by now if he had been fit - Maupay is a nuisance, has a bit of pace and has that horrible streak that we lack - jury out on which is better for me

Benrahma over Trezeguet, again would have cost double so FFP issues but also the most obvious upgrade-Benrahma looks a player whereas Trezeguet is league one at best, hopefully will be out of VP whatever league we are in next season.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #8552 on: July 02, 2020, 07:36:58 AM »
I only saw the second half but apart from the first ten minutes, Chelsea dominated just like they did against us. West Ham were penned in for long periods. It did take direct set pieces for Chelsea to score but they were doing all the footballing, with West Ham reliant on the big man up front.

The winner was excellent target man play but shocking defending from Alonso and Rudiger. I don't know why defenders get a free pass for staying on the pitch and not being substituted when playing poorly. Rudiger struggled against Antonio all night but Lampard's tinkering was only from an attacking point of view.

If Jota scores his shot at the end of our game against Chelsea we would have been praising our team's resilience. Doesn't alter the fact that Chelsea were by far the better team, just as they were the better side tonight but a shit bit of defending and, in fairness an astute substitution from Moyes, made the difference.

Dean should be showing that winner to Davis and El Ghazi, that's how you play when you're on the counter attack.

Spot on post. The most frustrating thing about the Chelsea defeat was despite their total dominance, in the 2 or 3 times we did attack them, their defence looked wobbly.
West Ham have the first win of the bottom 5 since lockdown, let’s see if they can build momentum, Id suggest if they lose to Newcastle on Saturday, they build no momentum and are still hand wringing like us Watford and Bournemouth. Apart from West Ham, on Saturday we got Liverpool away, Bournemouth Man Utd away, Watford Chelsea away. If there is one unlikely win amongst that lot, that’s the team who’ll have the belief and I’d bet on staying up

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #8553 on: July 02, 2020, 07:37:41 AM »
A top class wide player/winger with pace would've made all the difference this season. We are 100% Championship standard at best in that department.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #8554 on: July 02, 2020, 08:27:47 AM »
Haven’t us and wet spam now picked up the most number of points out of the bottom five since the restart?
Don't think so.  We've only got 2 and they got 3 just from tonight.

Yeh that’s what I meant.  Until last night we had the most now it’s spam then us.  I reckon 34 might be enough at this rate.  So that’s palace and arsenal wins and a draw away at spam easy.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #8555 on: July 02, 2020, 08:50:39 AM »
I’d say having just beatenChelsea, a top six side who absolutely schooled us, West Ham look the least shit of the bottom 5 so far.

By that reckoning, taking into account performances against Newcastle, we're much better than Bournemouth.
I think we do look better than Bournemouth.  I'm not sure how this is relevant to my comment?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8556 on: July 02, 2020, 09:41:32 AM »
Would we be better off with;

Webster over Engels?
Philips over Nkamba?
Maupy over Wesley?
Benrhama over Tezuguet?

Would we better off, probably on the pitch with most of them yes, could we afford those 4 with FFP??

Engels started well & we all thought he was going to prove a bargain whilst Webster was a bit iffy, he has improved massively whilst Engels seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth-Webster cost twice as much as Engels

Phillips like Nakamba had never played at this level, think we all think he will be better but 30m+ was surely out of our price range?

Maupay over Wesley is a very interesting one, Wesley had 6 goals by Christmas and was just looking as though he had adjusted, Maupay has 9 in the whole season - personally would have backed Wesley to be in double figures by now if he had been fit - Maupay is a nuisance, has a bit of pace and has that horrible streak that we lack - jury out on which is better for me

Benrahma over Trezeguet, again would have cost double so FFP issues but also the most obvious upgrade-Benrahma looks a player whereas Trezeguet is league one at best, hopefully will be out of VP whatever league we are in next season.

If FFP was the barrier to those, then how come we agreed to pay the wages of a waster like Drinkwater, and took on Reina as well in January?

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #8557 on: July 02, 2020, 09:44:04 AM »
I’d say having just beatenChelsea, a top six side who absolutely schooled us, West Ham look the least shit of the bottom 5 so far.

By that reckoning, taking into account performances against Newcastle, we're much better than Bournemouth.

And Watford the best team in the country after their defeat of Liverpool.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #8558 on: July 02, 2020, 09:49:32 AM »
It's one win for a team in the bottom 5 since the restart, let's not give up yet.

Offline Risso

« Reply #8559 on: July 02, 2020, 09:52:48 AM »
Surely the most pertinent fact for us is no wins in 8 games, and two games coming up where we're going to get smashed into next week.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #8560 on: July 02, 2020, 10:02:06 AM »
The thing is we know we have it in us.  There was also periods when we look like scoring as well as pressing well. It's been very far and few between since November, a glimpse of this against Leicester in the cup and away at Burnley. Clutching at straws I know.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #8561 on: July 02, 2020, 10:06:34 AM »
The thing is we know we have it in us.  There was also periods when we look like scoring as well as pressing well. It's been very far and few between since November, a glimpse of this against Leicester in the cup and away at Burnley. Clutching at straws I know.
You're clutching at straws, mate.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #8562 on: July 02, 2020, 10:17:06 AM »
Surely the most pertinent fact for us is no wins in 8 games, and two games coming up where we're going to get smashed into next week.

Like West Ham were going to be last night.

Offline wince

« Reply #8563 on: July 02, 2020, 10:31:31 AM »
Goal difference looking better than it was. Need Watford dragged into this and at least a draw against Liverpool and manure. Tough given manure are still chasing chumps league. Not saying we can do it but it’s now up to smith to hammer into the squad. Going back to Burnley, anyone think they are where they are because their team on paper is one made up of squad players? What I mean is does our team has individuals who when the going gets tough just want to fuck off to their next club? Just an idea, a thought and a grasping of those straws.

Offline Risso

« Reply #8564 on: July 02, 2020, 10:46:21 AM »

Like West Ham were going to be last night.

I wasn't at all surprised that they beat Chelsea to be honest.  If we concede fewer than 6 goals in total in the the next two games and manage at least a solitary point, tea and beers in the Bartons are on me at a home game of your choosing next season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal