collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Recent Posts

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed by Toronto Villa
[Today at 02:16:10 AM]

Re: Reserves, Academy and Women 2020/21 by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:52:48 AM]

Re: Relegation Watch by wince
[Today at 01:20:09 AM]

Re: Relegation Watch by SoccerHQ
[Today at 01:18:43 AM]

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed by wince
[Today at 01:17:27 AM]

Re: Relegation Watch by SoccerHQ
[Today at 01:15:07 AM]

Re: Jack Grealish by SoccerHQ
[Today at 01:08:22 AM]

Re: Relegation Watch by Villan82
[Today at 12:50:28 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 550321 times)

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2020
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #7635 on: May 28, 2020, 10:23:06 AM »
RIP Ron, thoughts are with Dean and his family.

Offline simon ward 50

« Reply #7636 on: May 28, 2020, 10:39:59 AM »
Thoughts and prayers with Deano and his family.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #7637 on: May 28, 2020, 10:53:21 AM »
Very sad, even at the best of times, but now, when it's more difficult to offer / receive support from loved ones, it makes it a lot tougher. Thoughts with Dean and family.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #7638 on: May 28, 2020, 04:35:57 PM »
Very sad news. Condolences to the family.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Our FB Page
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #7639 on: May 29, 2020, 09:24:59 PM »
We all "saw something" in Jack Grealish long before Smith rocked up.  Legion was the first poster to flag up Jack's ability six years ago on this forum.

It was (and still is) quite clear that he is head and shoulders above the vast majority of everyone else. I hold the same opinion about Cameron Archer now as I did with Jack Grealish all those years ago. Unfortunately, Dean Smith does not.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7640 on: May 29, 2020, 09:38:40 PM »
Sad news. I watched the episode of After Life last night where the character playing Gervais' dad (a Villa fan in real life too) died. Dementia is heartbreaking.

On a selfish level I wonder if Dean will be in the right headspace for the Sheffield United game.

Offline johnc

• GM : 21.04.2021
« Reply #7641 on: May 30, 2020, 08:58:16 AM »
Sad news. I watched the episode of After Life last night where the character playing Gervais' dad (a Villa fan in real life too) died. Dementia is heartbreaking.

On a selfish level I wonder if Dean will be in the right headspace for the Sheffield United game.
As harsh as it sounds I would imagine the dementia has led to Dean Smith grieving for his dad long before he died.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #7642 on: May 30, 2020, 01:01:40 PM »
Yes, very sad news. RIP.

On the grieving subject and not just specific to Dean, I'd imagine that's true. Fortunately I've not had to deal with it first hand and pray I never do.

Offline old man villa fan

« Reply #7643 on: May 30, 2020, 03:46:07 PM »

As harsh as it sounds I would imagine the dementia has led to Dean Smith grieving for his dad long before he died.

Very true.  Both of my parents died having suffered with dementia for a few years.  My father's was a quite rare form of dementia which required strong medication, which put him at the level with people with more normal dementia.  He was admitted to hospital after a fall and they had to take him off his medication.  His mental deterioration was rapid and something I would not wish on anybody with a family member suffering with dementia.  It was a relief when he passed away as the good memories of the past were being washed away by the present.  You need to be very strong in this situation and not everybody is.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #7644 on: May 30, 2020, 05:32:35 PM »

Sometimes getting on with the job is the best way of dealing with it, as opposed to sitting at home dwelling on it.  I'm sure his Dad would say "come on son, you've a job to do".  I'm 1000% certain that the club will give Dean and his family all the support they need.

Having seen my grandfather succumb to this horrible illness, I can vouch for dementia bring called "the long goodbye"

Just to say, fair play to Blues, Wolves and Walsall for tweeting messages of condolences as well

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #7645 on: May 30, 2020, 06:24:00 PM »
Sad news indeed.  I liked the story of Dean being able to tell his dad that he'd been appointed Villa manager.

Offline Lizz

• GM : 27.01.2019
« Reply #7646 on: May 30, 2020, 10:08:55 PM »
One of my unexpected tasks at work last week was researching providing some kind of assistance for an employee who is terminally ill and feeling totally neglected due to Corona Virus. Until then, I'd never heard of Anticipatory Grief.

Offline Ian J

• GM : 10.09.2020
« Reply #7647 on: May 30, 2020, 10:50:56 PM »

[/quote s

Your probably right. My Nan died 17 years or so after being diagnosed with Alzheimerís and now my mom has it, diagnosed about 3 years ago. Itís an awful disease. This lockdown has really messed with my momís routine and her husband is really struggling. Weíve broken a few rules just to help him out. So yep, Iíd say Smith has been grieving already.
RIP Smith senior, sad times.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• GM : 28.06.2021
« Reply #7648 on: June 01, 2020, 09:18:14 PM »
Been busy with family things recently, so catching up with the forum.

It's so particularly sad that this happened on the anniversary of the play-off win.

RIP Dean's Dad & condolences to family & friends.

Offline Vill I An

• Hope we stay Premier league !
« Reply #7649 on: June 03, 2020, 03:19:32 AM »
Let's be fair to Deano he brought Grealish game on heaps and bounds since he's been here . The high performance levels achieved by Jack are a result of Dean Smith as coach.
Smith and his way of coaching has undoubtedly really developed Grealish on field game.

Grealish confirms what I said
"The manager has been a massive influence on me,Ē he says. ďI couldnít give him enough credit. I see him as like a father figure to me, I can go and speak to him about anything. I feel thatís the same with him a bit; he can ask me about what Iím feeling about training, matches. For me, I could speak to him about anything, on or off the field. Since he has come in he has been brilliant. I have played the best football of my career since he got appointed.Ē

« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 03:39:10 AM by Vill I An »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal