collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1523139 times)

Offline The Charmer

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #7020 on: February 28, 2020, 05:48:55 PM »
'In this Premier League world, there should always be room for the local-boy-made-good'

If you have an ounce of romance in your soul, you cannot fail to agree with that.

Come on Deano. Lead 'em out on Sunday and make us all proud. UTV

Offline Reg Brown

« Reply #7021 on: February 28, 2020, 07:33:08 PM »
Sticking with Dean makes sense. There’s no point in sacking him now. It would be a death sentence bearing in mind who else might be available. If we go down we have an oven ready successful Championship manager.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #7022 on: February 28, 2020, 07:45:36 PM »
Sticking with Dean makes sense. There’s no point in sacking him now. It would be a death sentence bearing in mind who else might be available. If we go down we have an oven ready successful Championship manager.

He was abysmal in the Championship whenever Grealish wasn't available. Frequently he was not great even with him.

I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell Smith would get us back up. He should have gone weeks ago, and there is no way he should stay if we go down.

Offline Reg Brown

« Reply #7023 on: February 28, 2020, 07:48:01 PM »

He was abysmal in the Championship whenever Grealish wasn't available. Frequently he was not great even with him.

I don't think there is a snowballs chance in hell Smith would get us back up. He should have gone weeks ago, and there is no way he should stay if we go down.

He wasn’t abysmal. He worked a miracle. He took us from no hopers to premier league against all odds. Who else would we get? Gary Monk?

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #7024 on: February 28, 2020, 07:48:52 PM »

what a total crock of a post

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #7025 on: February 28, 2020, 07:54:04 PM »

Quite a trick, being rubbish in most matches while getting promoted and putting together a 10 match winning run.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #7026 on: February 28, 2020, 08:06:19 PM »
Yeah he's been shit for us.

Promoted after 7 months in the job. A League Cup Final. Not in the relegation places in the Premier League having got there a year ahead of the plan.

And all that having had to deal with completely rebuilding the squad.

I hope he enjoys every minute of Sunday and that his team does him, and us, proud.

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
« Reply #7027 on: February 28, 2020, 08:29:59 PM »

He wasn’t abysmal. He worked a miracle. He took us from no hopers to premier league against all odds. Who else would we get? Gary Monk?

No, Ashtonvilla is correct in his assessment. Nobody has suggested Gary Monk as an alternative. The sensible thing is to solidify in the division with a bit of pragmatism and then start to evolve over time once you are stable. The football under Smith is a mess and there is nothing you can latch on to where you think yes that looks like progress is being made or something is being learnt. The players don’t look like they receive any coaching or coherent instruction. Just because you use Gary Monk as an example doesn’t mean there aren’t alternatives out there that wouldn’t do a better job
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 08:33:41 PM by Ketzster »

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #7028 on: February 28, 2020, 08:45:18 PM »

Quite a trick, being rubbish in most matches while getting promoted and putting together a 10 match winning run.

Yeah, apparently during the ten game winning run, Dean had no influence in tactics, team selection or anything else. Everything was down to Jack.

Abysmal.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7029 on: February 28, 2020, 09:19:26 PM »
That's how some fans are I'm afraid. In their attempt to be proven right, they only post when it's not going well. (not the poster Ashtonvilla by the way).

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
« Reply #7030 on: February 28, 2020, 09:25:04 PM »
That's how some fans are I'm afraid. In their attempt to be proven right, they only post when it's not going well. (not the poster Ashtonvilla by the way).

When people post is their prerogative and makes no difference to whether their point is relevant or not. People say it was a miracle Smith getting us to the play offs but they don’t take into consideration it was a miracle because Smith did such a dismal job for a prolonged period before Derby at home. Yes I know Bruce hadn’t started well but Smith had long enough. Bearing in mind the resources at his disposal, it could be argued that we should have finished higher than 5th last season, not that it was some kind of major achievement

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #7031 on: February 28, 2020, 09:26:48 PM »

Didn't Steve Bruce almost get us promoted in the previous season and didn't Steve Bruce save us from the drop into League 1 within a few months of taking over, I wouldn't call that a miracle, have to say it, I wouldn't consider what Dean Smith has done a miracle, he's done a very good job, fair play, but I think he's gone as far as he can regardless of us staying up or not. I think it all comes down to how ambitious the club is, do we want more of this or do we want a more capable person guiding us to greatness.

Offline Reg Brown

« Reply #7032 on: February 28, 2020, 09:32:36 PM »

Didn't Steve Bruce almost get us promoted in the previous season and didn't Steve Bruce save us from the drop into League 1 within a few months of taking over, I wouldn't call that a miracle, have to say it, I wouldn't consider what Dean Smith has done a miracle, he's done a very good job, fair play, but I think he's gone as far as he can regardless of us staying up or not. I think it all comes down to how ambitious the club is, do we want more of this or do we want a more capable person guiding us to greatness.

Which leads us again to the big question. If not Dean then who?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #7033 on: February 28, 2020, 09:40:22 PM »
The part of that argument I really don't like is the idea that losing the best player in the league for a 3rd of the season shouldn't have much of an impact on results. We had a team built around Grealish and McGinn that was starting to look ok despite having the worst defence I can ever remember at the club. losing 1 of the 2 players that revival was built around was always going to be a problem but that was down to Bruce more than Smith because he left us with such a fucking mess of a squad.

It also ignores everything else happening at the time. We had Chester finally break down, leaving us with no choice but to throw a new defence together, we had a new keeper come in, struggle to settle and then get injured and force us to play yet another new keeper. We had a month of will he, won't he about Tammy leaving.

This isn't to make excuses, it's just pointing out that the whole thing was more complicated than just saying Jack came back and saved our season and Smith had nothing to do with it.

Having Jack back and making him the captain had a huge impact, no one denies that, but it also coincided with the back 5 starting to look settled and build a bit of an understanding, which was why we suddenly started getting clean sheets and when we did concede we kept it to 1 (after the window closed we only conceded more than 1 in 3 games out of 16, it was 14 in the previous 30).

None of this ignores the fact that this season hasn't gone as well as we'd have hoped but the revisionism to give all the credit for our promotion to Grealish is pathetic.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #7034 on: February 28, 2020, 10:07:47 PM »
I want every Villa manager to succeed and especially a fan of the club.

However, I have been disappointed with the management and even more so with the recruitment this season. Spending lots of money on lots of indifferent players has not proven to be a good idea, whoever was responsible.

Just as it's simplistic to say that Grealish single-handedly got us up and to give Smith no credit, it's equally simplistic for people to blame Bruce for the squad we started with last season. Yes, we needed defensive cover, but Bruce was working in harder conditions at the time than Smith has had for example.

Also, Bruce signed Tammy and McGinn who were pivotal in our promotion. What is so disappointing is that Suso and Smith haven't really unearthed any diamonds this season. 

If we do somehow stay up, the squad needs another overhaul, but from what I have seen,  I wouldn't have a lot of faith in the current recruitment and management team. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal