collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522573 times)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #7005 on: February 27, 2020, 10:06:50 AM »
There's no point in having continuity for the sake of it if the manager isn't good enough.
This is the crux of it. I am still with Dean but an assessment must be made very soon as to his capability. Yes there are lots of variables impacting on his performance but I am sure there are methods available for Purslow and Pitarch to carry out a capability review after nearly 18 months in charge. Furthermore the Club is not here to train a manager even if there is evidence of top level capability. Aston Villa FC requires a finished article top of his profession able to operate comfortably at highest level. If Dean is not that I love him but ......

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #7006 on: February 27, 2020, 10:18:23 AM »
Heaton's the one player we could probably afford to lose.  I think Nyland has shown enough to suggest that he's a perfectly adequate replacement.

Nyland, Steer and Sarkic would be a strong enough keeper department. With Heaton as part of the team in the background (until he's fit and decisions need to be made) I think we'd be fine.

Offline nigel

« Reply #7007 on: February 27, 2020, 11:28:59 AM »
If we went down, assuming Grealish, Mings, McGinn and Heaton would leave, I can’t see any others going, we could still field a strong enough team to bounce straight back.
Perm 11 from 17

Steer/Nyland

Konsa/Engels/Chester/Hause

Gilbert.                            Nakamba.                           Targett

AEG/O’Hare/Barry/Hourihane/Luiz/Trezeguet

Sammata/Wesley

I agree, we know we would lose jack, SJM, Mings and Heaton. That's a given.
I understand how and why you have listed the the players you have, but I think we would also lose a fair few of those listed because of 'billy big bollox' syndrome and their agents demanding moves because they are 'too good' for the championship.

That’s a fair point, mate.
My logic is that DS has instilled a ‘no billy big bollox’ attitude at the club, and the fact no one has really stepped up a level consistently.
Given we’d, probably, get in the region of £150m for those 4 we could easily add a couple and still be FFP compliant

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7008 on: February 27, 2020, 12:08:14 PM »
Heats was on MOTD2 the other week. When they asked him about when he'd be back his answer was it was taking a little longer than he hoped so I took from that he wouldn't be ready for August, more likely September or October so don't see clubs signing him until he's playing again so think he'll be here until January at least.

Everyone thought Butland would leave Stoke as soon as they went down. He's still there two years later.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #7009 on: February 27, 2020, 12:13:24 PM »
There's no point in having continuity for the sake of it if the manager isn't good enough.
This is the crux of it. I am still with Dean but an assessment must be made very soon as to his capability. Yes there are lots of variables impacting on his performance but I am sure there are methods available for Purslow and Pitarch to carry out a capability review after nearly 18 months in charge. Furthermore the Club is not here to train a manager even if there is evidence of top level capability. Aston Villa FC requires a finished article top of his profession able to operate comfortably at highest level. If Dean is not that I love him but ......

Except that he's young, he's still learning, and has the potential to be really good. Much like many of the squad. I'd have thought there is an ongoing appraisal process, there always is in football. If he lasts the rest of the season, and I believe he will, then it's time for a review. There will be a huge amount up in the air at that point, not just the head coach's role, but also new player contracts, new signings etc. All of which will vary according to which division we're in.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #7010 on: February 27, 2020, 12:33:05 PM »
Heaton's the one player we could probably afford to lose.  I think Nyland has shown enough to suggest that he's a perfectly adequate replacement.

I think this post demonstrates that sometimes patience with a player is needed.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #7011 on: February 27, 2020, 01:03:47 PM »
I've a hunch we'd be more likely to keep Heaton than Luiz but there you go.

I think even if Heaton did go and assuming Jack, Mings, McGinn and Luiz went as well, GK, Defence and up front we'd probably have enough for top 2 in the championship assuming the younger players keep getting better and any injury returnees get back to speed quickly. Midfield would need some work but with the money we'd have coming in it wouldn't be an issue.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #7012 on: February 27, 2020, 10:24:37 PM »
Under Bruce, McLeish and Lambert it was both.
Agreed, but something isn't working.
What isn’t working is time. Smith and the rest have had a year to rebuild how many years of neglect and mismanagement??? They need time to arrest that and steer us to where we belong.  I agree that we need to stay in this division but I don’t see it as a total disaster if we slip provided that the end result is us maintaining a rebuilding in the right way. The continuity must be there and changing to another “saviour” isn’t that

I think Smith is good enough. I just don’t think he’s had the time to implement fully what he (and we) want yet. Like I said, the clubs decay isn’t gonna be fixed in one year. My assumption that Smith is the right man but we sack him anyway to be replaced by the next “saviour” or “expert” (enter all the usual contenders there) will mean starting all over again. We’re having the necessary pain now of rebuilding, the gain is to come

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #7013 on: February 28, 2020, 12:22:31 AM »
What isn’t working is time. Smith and the rest have had a year to rebuild how many years of neglect and mismanagement??? They need time to arrest that and steer us to where we belong.  I agree that we need to stay in this division but I don’t see it as a total disaster if we slip provided that the end result is us maintaining a rebuilding in the right way. The continuity must be there and changing to another “saviour” isn’t that

We can always continue the same path but improve the manager. Redknapp at Spurs, what was it, top 4? Before that Adkins at Spurs? Hang on, Pochettino is the link, must be Villa bound unless Real Madrid turn their noses up to him in the summer.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #7014 on: February 28, 2020, 05:16:53 AM »

We can always continue the same path but improve the manager. Redknapp at Spurs, what was it, top 4? Before that Adkins at Spurs? Hang on, Pochettino is the link, must be Villa bound unless Real Madrid turn their noses up to him in the summer.
Yes. I agree with that because it’s inevitable eventually either now or in ten years time and change for genuine improvement has to happen. Changing to the likes of Allardyce would be a massive step backwards IMO

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #7015 on: February 28, 2020, 07:09:38 AM »

I think even if Heaton did go and assuming Jack, Mings, McGinn and Luiz went as well, GK, Defence and up front we'd probably have enough for top 2 in the championship assuming the younger players keep getting better and any injury returnees get back to speed quickly. Midfield would need some work but with the money we'd have coming in it wouldn't be an issue.
Enough for the top 2
I have seen a lot of these type of predictions and sadly it has not allways turned out like that.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #7016 on: February 28, 2020, 12:06:50 PM »

Enough for the top 2
I have seen a lot of these type of predictions and sadly it has not allways turned out like that.
I don't agree with you often Chicago, but that's a fair point.  There was quite a few predictions that we'd be top 10 this year.

I'm not sure replacing Mings, Grealish and McGinn with more playesr from Brugge or whethever Suso goes bargain shopping this summer would be enough.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #7017 on: February 28, 2020, 01:45:55 PM »
It is dependent on the young defenders cutting out the cock ups, Wesley getting over the injury very quickly and us improving the midfield/wide attacking areas with a couple of players who are real quality for that division and who hit the ground running (and also on us not having too much bad luck with injuries) but yes, it's a possibility IMHO albeit a slightly optimistic one.

I also thought that we'd be better this season than we have been though, i will admit. I think if McGinn, Mings and Grealish had remained injury free all season we probably would have have had another 5-6 points on the board which would have been more like what i was expecting. I suppose it's rare that things work out like that though.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 01:48:38 PM by Clark W Griswold »

Offline Reuben

« Reply #7018 on: February 28, 2020, 02:09:41 PM »
Hopefully of course we won't have to find out about all this, but I remember thinking Ayew would rip the division apart when considering who would stay when we went down last time.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7019 on: February 28, 2020, 04:24:38 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51546341

Plenty of plaudits here for Deano's ability and prowess; even from our very own Mr Woodhall.
One quoted intrigued me, in the light of what we're seeing this season:"You knew very early on he was going to be good because he was very focused, knew how he wanted to play and the style he wanted to play."
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 06:00:35 PM by Mister E »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal