collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522180 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #6930 on: February 26, 2020, 10:44:33 AM »
You should call the club and let them know.

Thanks, helpful as ever.
Thanks but no gold star?
Disappointed.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #6931 on: February 26, 2020, 10:50:16 AM »
If we had this squad going into a championship season, we'd be right up there i reckon, as long as the recruitment was at least fairly successful...

Heaton, Steer, Sarkic
Guilbert, Elhammody, Hause, Konsa, Engels, (New Player), Targett, Taylor
Nakamba, Hourahane, (3 new players)
Jota, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, (New player), Wesley, Davis, Samatta, Baston.

The new players being a centre back, ball winning midfielder, box to box midfielder, creative midfielder and another winger.

Use the money from selling Grealish, McGinn and Mings who i think would want to go. I also think Luiz wouldn't hang around so he'd probably be sold, Reina wouldn't stay on and we would offload Drinkwater and sell Lansbury and Hogan as well.

But let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #6932 on: February 26, 2020, 11:33:24 AM »

We'd make a loss on them all except the aforementioned players and Luiz, should Man City decide to buy him back, which I doubt.  And then we'd have to trust Pitarch and Smith not to completely arse the recruitment process up again.  It would be a shitfest.

Who do you think we'd have to sell that we'd make a loss on?

The players we'd "have to sell" we'd make a profit on (Jack, McGinn etc).  Other players like Wesley, Nakamba, Trezeguet, we wouldn't have to sell them, and if we did, we'd be making a loss I reckon.

Wesley and Nakamba are the only ones we'd possibly make much of a loss on I reckon, in part down to the insanity of fees these days. I just don't think we'd "make a loss on them all", certainly not a loss of note in footballing terms.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #6933 on: February 26, 2020, 12:12:04 PM »
You should call the club and let them know.

Thanks, helpful as ever.
Thanks but no gold star?
Disappointed.

Edited for the sake of realising its pointless.

Stay happy.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 12:15:15 PM by Drummond »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #6934 on: February 26, 2020, 12:16:07 PM »
It might take years and years to get over Smith at this rate.

Blimey, that's a tad over the top to be honest.

I think if he relegates us, you'll see it'll have quite a deleterious effect.  You once thought I was mental saying that we'd be close to administration if our owner couldn't support us any more, and yet under Xia we came very close to doing just that.  That wouldn't be the case under the new owners, but we would have to lose Jack, and almost certainly Mings, Heaton and McGinn as well, and then rebuild from scratch.

As we've seen before in the championship getting in a really good striker can easily hide weaknesses elsewhere.

I'd be happy getting someone like Dwight Gayle in given he's more than proven at that level and will probably be available. Indeed I expect it will be roughly the same strikerforce as now and the other three will be o.k I think aswell.

When we went down last time we picked up Chester who was a squad player at a premier league club so think Mings can be replaced.

The big problem will be replacing Jack. Don't just lose majority of quality in final third but pretty much all the personality aswell. And the worry is we're not even proven under DS as a winning team at championship level without Grealish around given our horrible run for three months last season when he was injured. We still had Tammy, McGinn and from late January Mings all as regulars so it's not like we were putting terrible teams out in that spell either.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #6935 on: February 26, 2020, 12:20:07 PM »
If we had this squad going into a championship season, we'd be right up there i reckon, as long as the recruitment was at least fairly successful...

Heaton, Steer, Sarkic
Guilbert, Elhammody, Hause, Konsa, Engels, (New Player), Targett, Taylor
Nakamba, Hourahane, (3 new players)
Jota, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, (New player), Wesley, Davis, Samatta, Baston.

The new players being a centre back, ball winning midfielder, box to box midfielder, creative midfielder and another winger.

Use the money from selling Grealish, McGinn and Mings who i think would want to go. I also think Luiz wouldn't hang around so he'd probably be sold, Reina wouldn't stay on and we would offload Drinkwater and sell Lansbury and Hogan as well.

But let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Looking at that squad its good on paper but one key ans massive ingredient missing that will never get us up - leaders.

Absolutely no leaders in that team. You need leaders like mings mcginn and grealish.

There is talent there but we would need aggresive leaders with experience signings with that lot

Online Drummond

« Reply #6936 on: February 26, 2020, 12:20:30 PM »
Jota would still be with us. He may not be Premier League but he'd do just fine in the Championship.

O'Hare would be back and ours. Young Barry would no doubt get games too.

I don't want us to go down but to suggest it's the end of the world is typical doom mongering.

We survived last time with vastly shitter owners. This time we'd be fine. The trick would be recruitment for the next season in the top flight with a largely settled squad.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #6937 on: February 26, 2020, 12:26:04 PM »
Jota would still be with us. He may not be Premier League but he'd do just fine in the Championship.

I don't want us to go down but to suggest it's the end of the world is typical doom mongering.

We survived last time with vastly shitter owners. This time we'd be fine. The trick would be recruitment for the next season in the top flight with a largely settled squad.

We wont be fine it will be another collosal mess. Your also missing the bigger picture we would have lost a potential brilliant spine of the team with the sales of mings mcginn and grealish.

The team that took us down was shit this one has potential. We would have to do the reset buttkn YET AGAIN!

It would be a potential disaster

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #6938 on: February 26, 2020, 12:33:00 PM »
I think it would be o.k.

You've still got guys like Hourihane and El Ghazi who played their part in promotion last time. Just use the loan market and get in a couple of experienced heads, there's no great secret.

Would expect a serious top 2 challenge.

Online Drummond

« Reply #6939 on: February 26, 2020, 12:37:21 PM »

We wont be fine it will be another collosal mess. Your also missing the bigger picture we would have lost a potential brilliant spine of the team with the sales of mings mcginn and grealish.

The team that took us down was shit this one has potential. We would have to do the reset buttkn YET AGAIN!

Well that makes no sense. If we'd be in a better position than when we went down before, surely it means we'd be in a better position?

I'm not missing anything thanks. I'm well aware of who we may lose. But I'm also sure that the remaining players would all do perfectly well in the Championship. And they'd have played together, too.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6940 on: February 26, 2020, 12:42:17 PM »

Jota couldn’t get into a shit Blues team. Buying him was entirely pointless.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #6941 on: February 26, 2020, 12:52:24 PM »

Certainly agree with that!!
He and Trez were definitely low-cost punts that have not paid off. Trez might make it in the 2nd tier but Jota is a chocolate teapot.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #6942 on: February 26, 2020, 12:54:57 PM »

Well that makes no sense. If we'd be in a better position than when we went down before, surely it means we'd be in a better position?

I'm not missing anything thanks. I'm well aware of who we may lose. But I'm also sure that the remaining players would all do perfectly well in the Championship. And they'd have played together, too.

It makes a lot of sense thanks. Just because we may not be aa bad as the last time we went down doesnt mean this time will be any easier.

You seriously dont know if you think we will be ok without mcginn  grealish and mings. Oh lets not forget we have no tammy either. None of our exiating strikers are any where near the level of tammy.

Your making out as if replacing grealish mcginn and mings will be easy?

Its going to be as tough as it was when the first year we went down.

Online Drummond

« Reply #6943 on: February 26, 2020, 01:07:23 PM »

O'Hare? Barry? Or is everyone that we have on the books (excluding Grealish, Mings and McGinn) shit?

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #6944 on: February 26, 2020, 01:07:58 PM »

The club was on the verge of being wound up the last time we were down there. If it happens this time, all decent players will leave and we will be very much under the cosh FFP wise. The revisionism towards our time in the second tier is astounding. It was a complete and utter shit show.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal