collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522227 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #6855 on: February 24, 2020, 12:12:08 PM »

I get what your saying and agree to some extent

but to answer your question I was expecting better footballi under Smith and an ability to motivate players especially in the games where we have a better chance of points

I wasn’t expecting miracles but I was expecting more if I’m honest especially in the tactical side as we have been rubbish at times and Smith looks incapable of doing anything about it which is worrying me

I was hoping for better football, and we've seen it in patches, the difficulty is that we're now in the top league against better players and coaches who often know how to negate it better.

Which is why Smith should have been sacked a while ago, and a coach capable of managing at this level appointed.  Dean will go back to being a half decent Championship level coach, which is where his talents should be really.

Maybe he's learning too, and the tools he's been presented with maybe haven't helped him.

I'd suspect, if he were sacked, he'd get someone else promoted too.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #6856 on: February 24, 2020, 12:19:06 PM »
I had hoped he would learn how to become a Premier League manager as the season progressed in the same way he has challenged the players to rise to the occasion.  The thing that bugs me is he talks after narrowly losing to Spurs that these games aren't the ones that define our season, but competing against the teams around us will (e.g. this week) but it is those games he and his team have failed to get the appropriate performance levels out of the team.  Play like we did last week against Saints and we'd have probably come away with at least a point, but again they never turned up when it mattered. This he needs to change.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #6857 on: February 24, 2020, 12:34:49 PM »

but to answer your question I was expecting better footballi under Smith and an ability to motivate players especially in the games where we have a better chance of points

I wasn’t expecting miracles but I was expecting more if I’m honest especially in the tactical side as we have been rubbish at times and Smith looks incapable of doing anything about it which is worrying me

I was hoping for better football, and we've seen it in patches, the difficulty is that we're now in the top league against better players and coaches who often know how to negate it better.

Which is why Smith should have been sacked a while ago, and a coach capable of managing at this level appointed.  Dean will go back to being a half decent Championship level coach, which is where his talents should be really.

Maybe he's learning too, and the tools he's been presented with maybe haven't helped him.

Didn't quite get Brentford there and they seem to be doing very nicely without him ….maybe he might become a top flight manager, who knows, but I really think the owners got it wrong keeping him on board and my worry is they see him as the right man to get us back up if we go down again (potentially minus our top 3 or 4 players). Or maybe I, like many others had expectations that weren't realistic or attainable, however given the funds available, we have managed to buy some bang average players, not of the standard to excel in the top flight.
Sometimes in life we have to step backwards to then progress forward again … I just wonder and fear what the consequences will be if we go down again..... 

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6858 on: February 24, 2020, 12:38:21 PM »

He's only ever managed it with a team that contained Grealish, Mings and McGinn.  Never even looked like coming close before.

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
« Reply #6859 on: February 24, 2020, 01:04:17 PM »

He's only ever managed it with a team that contained Grealish, Mings and McGinn.  Never even looked like coming close before.

Yes and he didn’t look like doing it without Grealish last year. So bearing in mind Grealish will leave in the summer, absolutely no way do I want Smith to be given a chance to bring us back up if we go down. We would struggle up to October when he inevitably gets the sack and then it would be too late again to do anything

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #6860 on: February 24, 2020, 01:07:15 PM »
Post when we're losing,
You only post when we're losing!

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #6861 on: February 24, 2020, 01:47:34 PM »
Post when we're losing,
You only post when we're losing!
Just reminded me of something …. my neighbour was complaining about my dog (Marley) howling on Saturday evening after yet another Villa defeat

"what does he do when you win?" the neighbour asked

" I don't know mate, I've only had him 7 months "

:) ok, not totally accurate result wise, but you get my drift

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #6862 on: February 24, 2020, 01:47:48 PM »
Ha! This place would be extremely quiet if we only posted when we'd won.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #6863 on: February 24, 2020, 02:09:30 PM »
Ha! This place would be extremely quiet if we only posted when we'd won.

I think he was posting about the sudden reappearance of ketzster.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #6864 on: February 24, 2020, 02:28:25 PM »
Trez has been woeful all season, he’s just a headless chicken.

looked like that in the african cup when they were watching him

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #6865 on: February 24, 2020, 02:30:10 PM »
To pick up zero points against southamoton and bournmouth to me is criminal. Losing 3-0 tk ten men watford even worse.

When we got humiliated by city snith told us it wasnt about the points against the teams like city that will shape where we finiah but the teams  around us and our home games.

Well smith we are losing both at present despite you being heavily backed. You got a new contract but im sorry you ahvebt deserved it for our form since then. Its been nothing short of woeful.

How many bloody leads ard going to blow under your management? Would love to see a stat of many points we have dropped from a winning position

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6866 on: February 24, 2020, 02:36:16 PM »
I expected the team to compete, I expected to see a midfield, I expected the manager to identify problems and try and solve them. I expected us to have more points. I expected us to at least be able to compete against the might of Southampton and fucking Bournemouth.

We have competed in most games.

Our midfield has been surprisingly lacklustre, I'd agree, not helped by losing McGinn; it's overall just been too inconsistent.

How many more points did you expect us to have?

We've had some shit performances, but I expected us to lose games against teams like Southampton, Burnley and Bournemouth. It's the nature of the league. We just should have hung on in a couple more games.
There have been too many games when we haven’t competed, I don’t need to list them.
And what has Smith done to deal with the porosity of the midfield after 27 games? Fuck all.
Yes not allways getting results against those teams is understandable, but not even getting a blow on them isn’t.
Smith is responsible for this team. 

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #6867 on: February 24, 2020, 02:46:37 PM »
I expected the team to compete, I expected to see a midfield, I expected the manager to identify problems and try and solve them. I expected us to have more points. I expected us to at least be able to compete against the might of Southampton and fucking Bournemouth.
We have competed in most games.
Our midfield has been surprisingly lacklustre, I'd agree, not helped by losing McGinn; it's overall just been too inconsistent.
How many more points did you expect us to have?
We've had some shit performances, but I expected us to lose games against teams like Southampton, Burnley and Bournemouth. It's the nature of the league. We just should have hung on in a couple more games.
It's the apparent lack of the basics that does it for me: we require high levels of fitness, energy, accuracy and ball retention; we need midfielders tracking back, defenders where they're supposed to be, players moving into space, passers seeing the early pass, making the ball do the work, working your nuts off for the team ... in short, believing in the team, the club and the Project.

We do not seem to be doing the simple things well enough ... and isn't that the minimum requirement of a professional team?

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #6868 on: February 24, 2020, 03:45:05 PM »
What fucks me off is that we continue to play with 2 out and out wingers and we don't have a consistently good winger at the club and haven't in the 3 years or more we've been playing it, with the exception of Snodgrass (i'm not counting Grealish in that as he's not a winger). Not only do they do very little in the final third but they're so powder puff that they keep giving the ball back to the opposition, it then as you rightly say, bypasses the porous centre mid which you would have hoped Smith would have addressed in January beyond signing Danny Cunting Drinkwater and then it falls back on the defence who actually aren't bad but struggle with the pressure they're constantly put under. Add to the fact that they're also quite young and inexperienced and make mistakes it's a recipe for disaster.
Teams largely just walk through us, McGinn being fit would have helped mind.

Offline exiled on the wirral!

« Reply #6869 on: February 24, 2020, 03:47:27 PM »
One thing I didn't like on Saturday, was the fact we sent Reina up for that last corner. It's ok in a cup tie, but with the Goal Difference very tight, we could have done with losing 1-0 instead of 2. It might seem a minor thing in the grand scheme of things, but it just smacks of muddled thinking too me.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal