collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522029 times)

Online jwarry

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #6765 on: February 23, 2020, 01:41:09 PM »
I love how people draw conclusions from so little. There was nothing wrong with the spirit against Spurs or across the two legs of the League Cup Final. Note the way the players rallied around Engels last week too. It's more likely that we have a bunch of young, inconsistent players who are too easily overpowered and intimidated when things aren't going their way. I don't think the players have given up on the manager. We have one of the weakest squads in the league. We're about where we should be in the table.
I suppose all you can say is that Smith was as shocked and embarrassed by the team yesterday as most of us on here were and, more importantly, was at a total loss to explain it.

Judging by his anger, that seems to be the size of it.  If there is one thing we know about Dean it is that he wants to play the right way but in less than 18 months the turnover of players has been extraordinary so he hasn’t been able to get his plans into a team of players he can trust -and of course we don’t know what if any influence he has had on the incoming players.  I doubt he has experienced the pressure he is now under and it could either be his making or.......

Offline Damo70

« Reply #6766 on: February 23, 2020, 01:45:17 PM »
It always amazes me that Allardyce is classed as an old school dinosaur whereas in reality he was way ahead of the game regarding sports science which he took a great interest in whilst winding down his playing career in the states. There were reasons little old Bolton punched above their weight under him. Not to mention him avoiding relegation with some pretty poor teams like Bolton, Newcastle, Blackburn, West Ham, Sunderland, Palace and Everton (three of which went to pot and went down after he moved on). I think he is a guy that firstly keeps sides up and then if given time and support moves clubs onwards and upwards.

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #6767 on: February 23, 2020, 01:46:43 PM »
It always amazes me that Allardyce is classed as an old school dinosaur whereas in reality he was way ahead of the game regarding sports science which he took a great interest in whilst winding down his playing career in the states. There were reasons little old Bolton punched above their weight under him. Not to mention him avoiding relegation with some pretty poor teams like Bolton, Newcastle, Blackburn, West Ham, Sunderland, Palace and Everton (three of which went to pot and went down after he moved on). I think he is a guy that firstly keeps sides up and then if given time and support moves clubs onwards and upwards.
Is this Sam Allardyce from Earth 2.0?

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #6768 on: February 23, 2020, 01:49:11 PM »

Spot on

Unfortunately too many of our fans think we're above fat sam and want this Dean Smith 'exciting' brand of football that comes for 20 mins every few games.

He's a Championship manager at best

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #6769 on: February 23, 2020, 01:50:34 PM »
If he wasn't a Villa fan he would not be our manager .

It's a crazy situation and it's going to send us back down,for all the praise the owners get for saving us we're being run by clueless clowns who seem happy for us to be a Championship Club again

Utter, utter bollocks. With no respect.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #6770 on: February 23, 2020, 01:53:20 PM »
Should have binned Smith in December, still think Alladyce could keep us up. Still not convinced Smith can.
That would set us back 10 years, not 5. Fat Sam and his ilk-there are a few of them out there, would be the worst way to go. If we go down, we can get back up again and Smith would be my favourite to do so. If that didn't happen, yes, change it and bring someone else in, but give it a chance. I hate the merry-go -round of changing managers and would like to see stability for a few seasons at least.

Im not convinced he can. He relies heavily on grealish and looks tactically poor at times.

Also signed some real duds like wesley trez and jota.

Our midfueld needs heavy investment if we go down.  Id firstly get rid of trez and sign lolley or benrama if neither side comes up

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #6771 on: February 23, 2020, 01:58:14 PM »

It's a crazy situation and it's going to send us back down,for all the praise the owners get for saving us we're being run by clueless clowns who seem happy for us to be a Championship Club again

I think there's an argument to say that if he wasn't a Villa fan he would no longer be our manager.  The fan thing was always a red herring anyway: it was never going to make him a better manager, and 'knowing' the club was quantifiable rhetoric.  The only advantage he was ever going to get from it was that it would buy him more time with the fans, which it may be doing right now.

Online jwarry

« Reply #6772 on: February 23, 2020, 01:58:47 PM »

Speechless

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #6773 on: February 23, 2020, 01:59:37 PM »
That’s the issue with changing manager. Yesterday I was all for getting a fire fighter in like Allardyce but having slept on it I’m not sure. I’ve always thought the squad has major weaknesses, what if we appointed Allardyce (say) and still go down? We then will be trying a complete rebuild yet again. This is such a tough decision I reckon. My guess is they’ll stick with Smith even after relegation.
It's not just a choice between Allardyce and Smith though is it?  There are lots of more palatable alternatives.
Go on then, who?

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #6774 on: February 23, 2020, 02:01:04 PM »
That’s the issue with changing manager. Yesterday I was all for getting a fire fighter in like Allardyce but having slept on it I’m not sure. I’ve always thought the squad has major weaknesses, what if we appointed Allardyce (say) and still go down? We then will be trying a complete rebuild yet again. This is such a tough decision I reckon. My guess is they’ll stick with Smith even after relegation.
It's not just a choice between Allardyce and Smith though is it?  There are lots of more palatable alternatives.
Go on then, who?
I posted a link to a list of currently unemployed managers on here yesterday - sorry, can't remember which thread although it may have been this one.  It's easily Googled though.  There were plenty of fine managers on it.

Offline ez

« Reply #6775 on: February 23, 2020, 02:29:47 PM »
Should have binned Smith in December, still think Alladyce could keep us up. Still not convinced Smith can.
That would set us back 10 years, not 5. Fat Sam and his ilk-there are a few of them out there, would be the worst way to go. If we go down, we can get back up again and Smith would be my favourite to do so. If that didn't happen, yes, change it and bring someone else in, but give it a chance. I hate the merry-go -round of changing managers and would like to see stability for a few seasons at least.

When Smith arrived he had Grealish, McGinn, Mings and Abraham already at the club. He won't have any of them next time. We'll be further back than when he arrived.

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #6776 on: February 23, 2020, 02:34:22 PM »
Go on then, who?
I posted a link to a list of currently unemployed managers on here yesterday - sorry, can't remember which thread although it may have been this one.  It's easily Googled though.  There were plenty of fine managers on it.
Not sure where to look. It’s difficult though isn’t it? Who wants 11 games? Who has a track record of turning things around? Who would play the sort of football the owners and management want? I’d hate to be making the decision.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #6777 on: February 23, 2020, 02:40:16 PM »
Fat sam on a contract until end of season, keeps us up huge bonus for him and say goodbye and bring in a manager who plays the football that people want to see

Online jwarry

« Reply #6778 on: February 23, 2020, 02:52:25 PM »
Fat sam on a contract until end of season, keeps us up huge bonus for him and say goodbye and bring in a manager who plays the football that people want to see

Simples! Jeez

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #6779 on: February 23, 2020, 02:56:50 PM »
They're not going to do it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal