collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[March 18, 2024, 11:00:20 PM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Luton A by purpletrousers
[March 18, 2024, 10:24:29 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:23:42 AM]

Re: FFP by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:10:34 AM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:38:48 AM]

Re: International Rugby by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:12:03 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by DeKuip
[Today at 12:01:20 AM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by Pat McMahon
[March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:36:32 PM]

Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match by olaftab
[March 18, 2024, 11:27:08 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1517795 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #6735 on: February 23, 2020, 10:45:11 AM »
Sunday Supplement about to talk about Villa and yesterday's performance.  They can probably sum it up in one word, but they are unlikely to swear on the tellybox!

Fine lines for Smith, win the League Cup, he also won the play off's.  Two cups in two years and we are talking about getting rid?  Harsh, but...getting relegated tops winning the cup for me.  We are a mess, we look a mess and are way too easy to play against. (Haven't won the League Cup yet either).

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #6736 on: February 23, 2020, 10:46:44 AM »
The irony is that if we go down he would be the best choice to take us back up, but if we stay up he might be gone.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #6737 on: February 23, 2020, 10:53:53 AM »
I don't think that Purslow is a shrinking violet, he did sack Rafael Benitez after all.  I am a bit surprised by his loyalty to Dean Smith with our club and performances in decline.  Lose the Final and there really is no reason to keep Dean Smith. 

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6738 on: February 23, 2020, 10:57:03 AM »
I don't think that Purslow is a shrinking violet, he did sack Rafael Benitez after all.  I am a bit surprised by his loyalty to Dean Smith with our club and performances in decline.  Lose the Final and there really is no reason to keep Dean Smith. 

He's got us promoted and has got us to a cup final in just over a year and we are not in the bottom three. It's not showing loyalty, but maybe he just thinks there's not enough there for him to be sacked.

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #6739 on: February 23, 2020, 11:00:09 AM »
I guess we'll find out over the next couple of games whether his calling out of the players was the act of a strong manager imposing some discipline or the last roll of the dice by a desperate man. I'm not too hopeful.

After his quote yesterday any player that gets dropped for the final is likely to take it personally. I know there comes a time to draw a line in the sand , but he's left himself open with that remark. As much as I disliked Mr Ferguson , he never slated his players publicly in press conferences.

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #6740 on: February 23, 2020, 11:00:18 AM »
I've been firmly in the Smith in camp but I'm struggling now.

The players carry a lot of the responsibility for yesterday but we can only play the players we've got, Most people were happy with the team selection. But to keep playing the same system, which hasn't really worked properly since the first couple of games he employed it, is what's frustrating me.

The three man defence and playing out from the back - Konsa and Hause aren't good enough to play this system. For me go back to Mings and Engels in a 2
Guilbert and Targett should be ok for now
Luiz and Nakamba in a 2 man midfield - nowhere near good enough. Short of options here but Id play Conor with them in a three, but I wouldn't object to Drinkwater instead. Or maybe Konsa as a DM?
Jack as a "no 10" behind a front two - Samatta and Baston .

I'd stick with Reina as yesterday apart he's looked fine.

Gives a bench then of : Nyland, Elmo, Hause , two of Drinkwater/Hourihane/Konsa, El Ghazi, Trezeguet.

I fear Dean has to go and someone else in to see the above as our best option for the rest of this year.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6741 on: February 23, 2020, 11:00:46 AM »
Purslow’s expectations at the start of the season were a lot higher than not being in the bottom three.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #6742 on: February 23, 2020, 11:09:16 AM »

He's got us promoted and has got us to a cup final in just over a year and we are not in the bottom three. It's not showing loyalty, but maybe he just thinks there's not enough there for him to be sacked.

As I said in my pervious post, fine lines.  So, if we lose in the cup final and slip into the bottom three over the course of the next 7 days, then, will there be enough then to sack him?   We are not there yet, so purely hypothetical.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6743 on: February 23, 2020, 11:13:15 AM »

As I said in my pervious post, fine lines.  So, if we lose in the cup final and slip into the bottom three over the course of the next 7 days, then, will there be enough then to sack him?   We are not there yet, so purely hypothetical.

That's Purslow's call. Personally, I wouldn't be sacking him as of now or if we lose next week but it goes without saying, we can't have too many more performances like yesterday.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #6744 on: February 23, 2020, 11:18:05 AM »
The irony is that if we go down he would be the best choice to take us back up, but if we stay up he might be gone.

I said the same last week.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6745 on: February 23, 2020, 11:23:20 AM »

I said the same last week.

I don't agree with that.  He's never come close to getting promoted before, and he was fortunate to have a squad with Grealish, McGinn and Mings in it, quality that will probably never be seen in one team in the Championship again for a long while.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #6746 on: February 23, 2020, 11:23:38 AM »
Question:

Dean Smith is responsible for coaching/tactics/match day selection/ team motivation.

Suso is responsible for getting the best players for the money available which means all of our signings since he took the job.

Who do you blame most and how long do you stick with a failing system?

Offline tim

« Reply #6747 on: February 23, 2020, 11:37:16 AM »
Question:

Dean Smith is responsible for coaching/tactics/match day selection/ team motivation.

Suso is responsible for getting the best players for the money available which means all of our signings since he took the job.

To be honest I think DS is doing ok with the players he has. There are 5 or 6 genuine PL standard players, but enough that just aren't quite there which makes things that bit more difficult for them. A change of manager might help in the short term, but until the quality of players improves I don't see much hope.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #6748 on: February 23, 2020, 11:53:57 AM »
If he wasn't a Villa fan he would not be our manager .

It's a crazy situation and it's going to send us back down,for all the praise the owners get for saving us we're being run by clueless clowns who seem happy for us to be a Championship Club again

Offline walsall villain

« Reply #6749 on: February 23, 2020, 12:01:54 PM »
Question:

To be honest I think DS is doing ok with the players he has. There are 5 or 6 genuine PL standard players, but enough that just aren't quite there which makes things that bit more difficult for them. A change of manager might help in the short term, but until the quality of players improves I don't see much hope.
That’s the issue with changing manager. Yesterday I was all for getting a fire fighter in like Allardyce but having slept on it I’m not sure. I’ve always thought the squad has major weaknesses, what if we appointed Allardyce (say) and still go down? We then will be trying a complete rebuild yet again. This is such a tough decision I reckon. My guess is they’ll stick with Smith even after relegation.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal