collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1522302 times)

Offline Luke8

Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #6675 on: February 22, 2020, 09:59:34 PM »
Quite honestly, I'm really pleased that Dean has made these comments.

That was beyond pathetic today. A group of players with no passion, effort - desire, yes. A desire not to get hurt so they can play in their previous fucking final next week.

That was as bad as anything I've seen and I'm glad he's called them out for it.

We don't do anything by halves do we? We right up diarrhoea drive without a saddle once again.

As unhappy as i am with smith i support his comments today. Im sick of him defending them when they play shit and they were proper shit today. They didnt need the manager to throw them under the bus they did that themselves with that gutless performance.

Out of the back four only targett and mings showed any credit today. It says something when reina is your motm.

Overall smiths been a failure at this level. The only reason we are where we are and not in RZ is because so many poor teams this ywar. We would be second bottok had the quality of the league been like last year

The same quality from last season that meant 35 points would have been enough to stay up? And that saw teams get relegated with 16 and 26 points?

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #6676 on: February 22, 2020, 10:01:15 PM »
Nearly £40m on Nakamba, Wesley and Trezeguet. Whoever made that call needs sacking just for that. They look/looked worth about a quarter of the price.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #6677 on: February 22, 2020, 10:04:09 PM »
So poor players & a poor manager? I would be interested to hear what the players think of Dean. Just saying.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #6678 on: February 22, 2020, 10:19:53 PM »
So poor players & a poor manager? I would be interested to hear what the players think of Dean. Just saying.

Most will enjoy playing under him I'm sure.

Dosen't mean consistent performances though.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #6679 on: February 22, 2020, 10:24:57 PM »
Nearly £40m on Nakamba, Wesley and Trezeguet. Whoever made that call needs sacking just for that. They look/looked worth about a quarter of the price.

You realize though that’s the price of one decent player at this level. We simply couldn’t spend as much as we really needed to buy the required quality given how many players we needed

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6680 on: February 22, 2020, 11:07:32 PM »

You realize though that’s the price of one decent player at this level. We simply couldn’t spend as much as we really needed to buy the required quality given how many players we needed

How many £40m players have Burnley got. Or Southampton?  Most teams outside of the top 6 don’t spend anything like that.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #6681 on: February 22, 2020, 11:14:46 PM »

How many £40m players have Burnley got. Or Southampton?  Most teams outside of the top 6 don’t spend anything like that.

Or Sheffield United.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6682 on: February 22, 2020, 11:24:39 PM »
A word to describe our manager Passive, his team reflect this.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #6683 on: February 22, 2020, 11:28:30 PM »
I can think of a word to describe him.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #6684 on: February 22, 2020, 11:34:33 PM »

Or Sheffield United.

Both sides of that argument are a bit simplistic without context though.

Norwich has a much more similar transfer strategy to Sheffield United than to us, and finished above us both, yet they are rock bottom.

For me, it’s not that all these other sides have £40 million (or whatever arbitrary figure people wan to use) players, it’s that none of them had to rebuild pretty much their entire squad from a position of being the worst promoted team the previous season.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #6685 on: February 22, 2020, 11:43:09 PM »
For me, it’s not that all these other sides have £40 million (or whatever arbitrary figure people wan to use) players, it’s that none of them had to rebuild pretty much their entire squad from a position of being the worst promoted team the previous season.
It's not really about the spend or about the rebuilding, it's that we took the wrong approach to it.  Rather than mixing it up with some experienced older heads and some promising youngsters we bought a load of players with almost no experience of the Premier League, or in some cases English football at any level.  That was a colossal mistake.  Plus expecting one of those untested players to be the focal point of our attack, with only a has been and a perma-crocked kid as back up.  Add to that a manager as inexperienced at this level as his players and it's easy to see why things have gone badly all season.  When we eventually did sign someone with experience we chose Drinkwater.

The problem isn't that we had to rebuild but that we did it really badly.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6686 on: February 22, 2020, 11:47:17 PM »
At least Steve Bruce had a Plan A.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #6687 on: February 22, 2020, 11:55:17 PM »
Unfortunately, if we entertained any serious ambition about staying up, he should've gone before Christmas. I was probably fooled by the wins over Burnley and Leicester to think that maybe he could do it, but some of the mind-boggling signings in January were just absurd

As a fan, he has been given so much leeway which we just cannot afford.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #6688 on: February 22, 2020, 11:55:19 PM »
At least Steve Bruce had a Plan A.

Nothing can ever get so bad to justify a sentence that begins, "at least Steve Bruce..."

Offline Luke8

« Reply #6689 on: February 22, 2020, 11:57:27 PM »
It's not really about the spend or about the rebuilding, it's that we took the wrong approach to it.  Rather than mixing it up with some experienced older heads and some promising youngsters we bought a load of players with almost no experience of the Premier League, or in some cases English football at any level.  That was a colossal mistake.  Plus expecting one of those untested players to be the focal point of our attack, with only a has been and a perma-crocked kid as back up.  Add to that a manager as inexperienced at this level as his players and it's easy to see why things have gone badly all season.  When we eventually did sign someone with experience we chose Drinkwater.

The problem isn't that we had to rebuild but that we did it really badly.

I get what you are saying but personally think we need to reserve judgement until the end of the season and obviously whether we stay up or not.

The recruitment strategy was clearly a bit of a risk, and currently that is looking a bit iffy, but decent players with premier league experience come at a massive premium so I think it was understandable at the time.

I think there are enough good players there that if we can find the right combination and system we to get the best out of them we will have enough to stay up still.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal