collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dean Smith - Confirmed  (Read 1523601 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Dean Smith - Confirmed
« Reply #10635 on: November 02, 2020, 09:05:00 AM »
He needs to be able to set the midfield in different formations and styles.  Unfortunately apart from CH there is nobody decent on the bench.  We need to sign at least two midfielders in January and one of them need to be a real hard ass.   We also need another a striker and left and right back.  Only 5 more signings......

Hourihane got a goal and assist against Fulham and hadn't played a single minute since. That's despite McGinn and particularly Barkley being absolutely useless in the last two games.
Why “particularly Barkley”  McGinn has been equally as bad if not worse. A few others too. Hourihane isn’t as good a player as either of them.

McGinn has been very poor alright but at least he runs and attempts to get back. Barkley seems to believe he can give away the ball in dangerous area and not bother his arse attempting to get back. It's cost us two goals in the last two games. Hourihane might not have the ability that Barkley has but he might be a better professional and give us better balance in midfield.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #10636 on: November 02, 2020, 09:18:35 AM »
Barkley was great against Liverpool, was OK against Leicester (but got extra marks for scoring the late winner), but has been dire against Leeds and Southampton.  We can't afford 1 good game in 4 from him.

Offline brontebilly

« Reply #10637 on: November 02, 2020, 09:41:00 AM »
Barkley was great against Liverpool, was OK against Leicester (but got extra marks for scoring the late winner), but has been dire against Leeds and Southampton.  We can't afford 1 good game in 4 from him.

I think it's clear, like against Liverpool, that he can only play 10 for us with no defensive responsibilities. He's a complete liability otherwise, despite claims that he can play at 8. Personally I don't think he is good enough to be given an armchair position in our team, and I don't think the team are competent enough without the ball to carry him (and likes of Traore and Grealish). Hence why I was against bringing him in from the start as the danger was it would overload our midfield with similar players. That's how it's playing out unfortunately.

We can all accept bad games from players but the bare minimum is to give maximum effort without the ball. Barkley hasn't done that in the last two games and it's been tolerated by Smith which is as bad if not worse.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #10638 on: November 02, 2020, 10:10:58 AM »
"Chronically bad performances other than Liverpool..."

You mean beating Sheffield United, declaring after an hour at Fulham and deservedly beating Leicester, who are tipped for top four? Those chronically bad performances?

Not to mention that we were arguably the better side overall yesterday, managing to lose because three out of Southampton's four shots on target were inexplicably goals of the month.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #10639 on: November 02, 2020, 11:23:25 AM »
The header was definitely a tactical issue by playing zonal marking and not moving the personnel around to counter it. The question is whether or not the players have more freedom in the system to change things when there appears to be a mismatch.

It was stupid to give two free-kicks away in the 'D' with Ward-Prowse on the pitch.

Ings' finish was top drawer and is one of those goals that happens.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #10640 on: November 02, 2020, 01:12:27 PM »
Interesting from DS's post-game press conference that at half-time players thought that they were being done tactically by Southampton which DS disagreed with.

Maybe some indication that players are concerned by our tactics. Doesn't excuse their lack of tempo or general lethargy recently though even if they might have a point.
There was a slight improvement in the second half, so who changed things, Smith or the players?

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #10641 on: November 02, 2020, 02:10:31 PM »
This makes me a bit concerned.

I went in at half-time scratching my head. It didn't feel like a 3-0 game at that point. It was a second-ball affair in midfield, it was scrappy and there were no real chances.

"The assistant referee has given them an opportunity to put a really good ball in. Then we've allowed them to play through us. The players thought something more tactical was involved but there wasn't in my opinion.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #10642 on: November 02, 2020, 02:11:53 PM »
I’m a bit disheartened by the last two results but have no doubts we are a lot better than last year and really don’t think we will be scrapping around the relegation spots again
mid table will be an improvement and that’s where I think we will be

the question then will be  is Dean Smith the man to take us any further ie into the top 8/6 which will be a decision for the owners for another time because if we do finish mid table he will have improved year on year

my opinion on the defence is not a popular one on here
as I’ve mentioned a few times before so it’s not because of the two latest reverses and I have absolutely no problem with Mings, Konsa or Cash I think they have much ability and are good for the future of Aston Villa

However i still believe that Engels is the best centre half we have at the club and Guilbert the best right back

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 02:35:42 PM by john e »

Offline brontebilly

« Reply #10643 on: November 02, 2020, 02:30:51 PM »
The header was definitely a tactical issue by playing zonal marking and not moving the personnel around to counter it. The question is whether or not the players have more freedom in the system to change things when there appears to be a mismatch.

It was stupid to give two free-kicks away in the 'D' with Ward-Prowse on the pitch.

Ings' finish was top drawer and is one of those goals that happens.

Ings finish was exceptional but like any goal conceded there were a number of mistakes that led to it. Barkley of course losing the ball under no pressure and making no effort to retrieve it, Mings or Luiz could or should have stopped the break by foul means if necessary and finally Cash showing the speed merchant Ings inside to have a free shot on goal.

It's not like we didn't have prior warning of Vestergaards ability in the air before his goal either. For me, aswell as the tactical ineptitude on the sideline, there is a complete lack of leadership on the pitch. Surely Mings after the disallowed goal should be taking it upon himself to mark Vestergaard from that point forward. The liberties the likes of Barkley are taking without the ball should be getting called out by senior players on the pitch too.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #10644 on: November 02, 2020, 03:00:03 PM »
I’m a bit disheartened by the last two results but have no doubts we are a lot better than last year and really don’t think we will be scrapping around the relegation spots again

the question then will be  is Dean Smith the man to take us any further ie into the top 8/6 which will be a decision for the owners for another time because if we do finish mid table he will have improved year on year

as I’ve mentioned a few times before so it’s not because of the two latest reverses and I have absolutely no problem with Mings, Konsa or Cash I think they have much ability and are good for the future of Aston Villa

However i still believe that Engels is the best centre half we have at the club and Guilbert the best right back

Engels is error prone and slow. 

Guilbert is error prone and gets out of position too easily.

Not the ideal attributes for defenders  ...

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #10645 on: November 02, 2020, 03:02:08 PM »
I can't say that there's much of a difference between Cash and Guilbert at their respective best and worst on the evidence so far.  Not sure it was worth the upgrade fee to be honest.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #10646 on: November 02, 2020, 03:05:16 PM »
I am becoming concerned with Mings.
Not sure where his head is.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #10647 on: November 02, 2020, 03:41:49 PM »

Engels is error prone and slow. 

Guilbert is error prone and gets out of position too easily.

Not the ideal attributes for defenders  ...

Like I say it’s not a popular view

Offline brontebilly

« Reply #10648 on: November 02, 2020, 04:09:32 PM »
I am becoming concerned with Mings.
Not sure where his head is.

I think we need to strengthen the backups at CB in January to put Mings under competition for his place. He's struggling to play consistently well in the top division, this seasons form has regressed to match last seasons effort. Not much of a true leader either. Watching back that free kick, not jumping with the rest of the wall was unforgivable. He could have taken Armstrong down in the build up to the fourth too.

In saying that, midfield is starting to also regress to last seasons paper thin resistance and our defenders individually and collectively are struggling as a result.

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #10649 on: November 02, 2020, 04:44:23 PM »
What about Cash playing infront of Guilbert/ Elmo on the right hand side?

He was a midfielder at Forest

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal