collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jesús García Pitarch - binned  (Read 81909 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Jesús García Pitarch - Confirmed as Sporting Director
« Reply #225 on: July 10, 2020, 05:41:20 PM »
Well he's definitely got the business done very efficiently. We won't really know if it's the right business (in the main) until they get into competitive action, but it's certainly encouraging.

You're a wise man, Ger. We now know why he got the 'business done very efficiently'. Every club bit our hand off.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #226 on: July 10, 2020, 11:12:41 PM »
What I don't get is we got majority of signings done by Mid July yet DS said this week the squad hadn't been fit enough for most of the season?!

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #227 on: July 10, 2020, 11:28:02 PM »
I suspect many of those we signed were deals done and discussed with the thought of us being in the Championship.

As such, they'd have had a chance to develop and grow, individually and as a team, in less of a spotlight. As it turned out, we did a bit better, gambled on them and it's not worked. Doesn't mean they won't come good (see Veretout, Gueye etc before) but it's been a baptism of fire.

Poor preparation in any event but bringing so many in together at the same time was never a good recipe.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #228 on: July 10, 2020, 11:42:18 PM »
They had the right idea to try a bridge the gap from a play-off winning side to the PL, but they just bought poorly. We needed a overhaul yes to give us a chance to stay up, but they are not good enough.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #229 on: July 11, 2020, 12:23:37 AM »
What I don't get is we got majority of signings done by Mid July yet DS said this week the squad hadn't been fit enough for most of the season?!
Underestimated the speed and intensity of this league maybe?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #230 on: July 11, 2020, 12:42:58 AM »
Underestimated the speed and intensity of this league maybe?

You could understand that in August and September but we've generally looked much worse since December in our performances.

Would've thought a week's training camp somewhere abroad to get everyone up to speed would've been logical but guess we couldn't fit it in given our league cup run.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #231 on: July 11, 2020, 12:56:28 AM »
He said what? Absolutely no excuse for saying we’ve not been fit enough 34 games in. I’m flabbergasted by that.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #232 on: July 11, 2020, 01:24:12 AM »
I suspect many of those we signed were deals done and discussed with the thought of us being in the Championship.

As such, they'd have had a chance to develop and grow, individually and as a team, in less of a spotlight. As it turned out, we did a bit better, gambled on them and it's not worked. Doesn't mean they won't come good (see Veretout, Gueye etc before) but it's been a baptism of fire.

Poor preparation in any event but bringing so many in together at the same time was never a good recipe.

I don’t buy the first bit, they made a big deal of plan A & B for promotion or not. 

Prior mismanagement left a limited hand to be played. The amount of churn needed was risky.

You *could* argue we didn’t spend *that* much relative to what we needed (average player price).
Of course Sheffield United show what’s possible when the project is evolved over time for good value.

I’m willing to buy that Dean didn’t get a couple he wanted and got what he was given on a couple to a degree.

Where it left us was highly dependent on
a) a lot making the step up and
b) a lot hitting the ground running, when we weren’t allowed to spend what we needed for guaranteed quality - the ongoing travesty of FFP fixing the top table of football.

A bunch did neither, *and* then injuries (S-ishJM, Heaton, Wes) hamstrung us. 

VAR has not been kind either.

Same rules for all but I do have sympathy how the extra subs have benefitted the big/deep squads more.

What seems to compound all of it, what all that pivots around, what it’s meant has been *crucial* is what we’ve got out of the resources we’ve got/brought in.

The slowness to make changes in-match, failure to play safe/maintain concentration to hold on to wins or draws,  maybe a naivety in thinking we were safe enough to go hung ho. It’s just not felt Dean has been able to get the most out of them.

I think he has shown some shifts since lockdown, (which itself gave us a second chance to change momentum), but yes very concerning if we blame fitness at this stage.

It’s got me down, and I imagine Jack too even more, who we rely on too much to drive the team. Nullify/kick Jack out the game and we are too impotent.

I’m open to the fact Dean is learning, but it’s not really been quick enough and despite turning us round so well last year from coming in and post a bad run, he can’t have too many complaints if he gets binned.

(Apart from all the list of complaints above that is!)

Offline FatSam

« Reply #233 on: July 11, 2020, 01:31:27 AM »
Last summer’s business has been shown over the course of the season to be poor.

I think we would not be in quite such a mess had Wesley stayed fit, as the chances are he would have improved with more experience of the league. I do think though that it was a massive leap of faith to go into the season with a rookie as our only realistic striker option. Kodjia showed last season that He wouldn’t contribute much.

I was a bit suspicious of why the Belgian league seemed to have been identified as the best source of players, in a sort of moneyball way. We didn’t seem to be getting particularly good value considering the relatively low standard of football there.

With hindsight the move away from loans was probably a bit too limiting as well, given how many signings we had to make in one go. To expect enough of them to work out was overly optimistic.

Someone mentioned in another thread that a few Craig Dawson type signings mixed in would have been better. I tend to agree with that. Players who know the league and can guide the rookies. Jedinak, Whelan, Elphick and Chester did have to go, but their leadership qualities weren’t adequately replaced.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #234 on: July 27, 2020, 08:57:11 PM »
Leaving the club

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #235 on: July 27, 2020, 08:59:11 PM »
Praise the Lord, Jesus is gone

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #236 on: July 27, 2020, 09:02:26 PM »
Without knowing the mechanics of the relationships, it feels like a good decision from the outside. I can imagine that Nakamba, Samatta, Engels and others will be speaking to their agents pronto.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #237 on: July 27, 2020, 09:04:45 PM »
I hope Smith told the board to get rid

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #238 on: July 27, 2020, 09:05:46 PM »
Leaving the club
Oh Christ no what are we going to do?

Offline CT