collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Re: MOTD by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:56:39 PM]

Re: MOTD by VillaTim
[Today at 10:55:53 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:54:44 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:51:52 PM]

Re: MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:50:34 PM]

Re: MOTD by VillaTim
[Today at 10:49:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-0 Rotherham Post Match Thread  (Read 14242 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Aston Villa 2-0 Rotherham Post Match Thread
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2018, 03:49:35 PM »
If Bruce thinks beating Rotherham at home means he knows what he’s doing there must be a lot of contenders for his job. I think I heard last night that they’ve lost 26 of their last 29 away games.

I'd imagine that's only in division 2 as I can't see them getting promoted last season with that record.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2018, 04:05:27 PM »
Bruce with his ‘dish it out after an unconvincing win’ bollocks is fast becoming my least favourite manager of recent years.

I still think he's a decent bloke but he's clearly been rattled by all the criticism he's been getting in the last year. It comes with managing a big club I'm afraid Steve. Lose a few games and yes it is a crisis.

What I don't understand is he played for Man. United for years and the exact same happens there when they don't win for 3-4 games so odd to me he finds it all a shock.

I would like him to save his I told you so attitude for when we actually get promoted...if he's still here of course which I doubt.

There is a massive difference between playing for a big club and managing a big club. He was pretty solid, consistent, successful and liked at United during a mostly successful period for the club and when things went wrong he probably got an easier ride from the fans than some of his less consistent or less liked team mates. Managing a big club, especially one where the fans have had almost a decade of disappointment and are languishing in the Championship for the third season running is pressure unlike any he has known previously as a player or manager and it is showing in his comments and behaviour.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2018, 04:28:52 PM »
I keep hearing 4-4-2 is not best suited for us - what's wrong with 4-3-1-2?
Grealish as the 1 and a direct link to the forward 2

Works for Grealish and possibly the front two. But you can't play wingers and you need attacking full backs.

I like this formation but I don't think Bruce has ever really played it. Its quite hard to get right - the risk is it's incredibly narrow

Why not  4 2 3 1

keeper
Elmo      Tuanzebe    Chester     Adomah
       McGinn                    Hourihane
                       Grealish
Kodja              Abraham          Bolasie

That would have quite a few attacking options!!!

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2018, 05:18:37 PM »
Bruce with his ‘dish it out after an unconvincing win’ bollocks is fast becoming my least favourite manager of recent years.

I still think he's a decent bloke but he's clearly been rattled by all the criticism he's been getting in the last year. It comes with managing a big club I'm afraid Steve. Lose a few games and yes it is a crisis.

What I don't understand is he played for Man. United for years and the exact same happens there when they don't win for 3-4 games so odd to me he finds it all a shock.

I would like him to save his I told you so attitude for when we actually get promoted...if he's still here of course which I doubt.

There is a massive difference between playing for a big club and managing a big club. He was pretty solid, consistent, successful and liked at United during a mostly successful period for the club and when things went wrong he probably got an easier ride from the fans than some of his less consistent or less liked team mates. Managing a big club, especially one where the fans have had almost a decade of disappointment and are languishing in the Championship for the third season running is pressure unlike any he has known previously as a player or manager and it is showing in his comments and behaviour.

He also worked under a proper manager who insulated players from a lot of the bollocks and kept all the handbags behind closed doors, rather than chucking them under the bus at the first sign of trouble.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2018, 05:35:01 PM »

Why not  4 2 3 1

keeper
Elmo      Tuanzebe    Chester     Adomah
       McGinn                    Hourihane
                       Grealish
Kodja              Abraham          Bolasie

That would have quite a few attacking options!!!

Adomah at left back ? i'll have a pint of what you're drinking sir

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2018, 06:34:58 PM »
The keeper is a clown because he struggled to control a back pass aimed at his neck?

There's lots to disagree with in that post.

I stopped reading at "Rotherham were on top" as I just assumed he was referring to a different game.

Yep nonsense.

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2018, 07:05:50 PM »

who said Rotherham were on top ?  :o

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2018, 07:20:55 PM »
There was a glimpse of the right formation for about 5 mins after Kodjia went off as Grealish went central with Adomah and Bolasie wide and Abraham’s up top with Hourihane and McGinn providing the midfield energy. It looked balanced and we seemed to be holding the ball and shape really well. Then he changed it again to make his quite ridiculous defensive substitution and move everyone to different positions again.

4-2-3-1 with this set of players is the answer, or 4-3-3 if you prefer.

His 4-4-2 to start the game was ok but was soon nullified by an organised but limited Rotherham team who fair play to them kept themselves in it for 80 minutes.

Rotherham changed their shape at half time and took over the game. An equaliser seemed certain but they missed their golden chance with that header. We were so poor it was embarrassing, wide open from counter attacks, McGinn was very lucky to get away with a pass that they intercepted but failed to break on. Only when Bolasie and Adamoah came on and our shape changed, did we settle at all.

Hourihane and McGinn particularly are fine footballers but we won't get away with those as a two against any reasonable side in the division. Rotherham gave them the freedom of the park in the first half and they dominated. Richie Towell was the dominant midfielder in the second, no one tracking him.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2018, 08:48:09 PM »
Took over the game? Lololol

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2018, 08:51:47 PM »
they threw the Towell in

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2018, 09:16:26 PM »
Took over the game? Lololol

Yep, I thought that was quite a strange take on the second half. They had a couple of chances, that's it.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2018, 09:18:39 PM »
They had 1 less shot than us so while they didn't take control it also wasn't the stroll that's been made out either.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2018, 09:21:44 PM »
To be completely fair, they had one chance which, from the camera angle, looked in, and another one that hit the side netting.  Other than that, it's no big deal that the away side get a couple of chances during the game, no matter how poor they are overall.  Villa had a quiet spell for 15 minutes but then came back to life and dominated possession for the rest of the game.  I thought McGinn and Jedinak played well and Chester looks back on song.  I also see the keeper took some stick for the backpass!!  WTF was he supposed to do with it?  Better shape when Grealish went inside and we started to pick up the pace.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2018, 09:27:12 PM »
the longer it went on the more I worried ,  we needed a rocket up our arse 2nd half .  it was so slow and ponderous  .  A better team than Rotherham would have taken the initiative

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2018, 09:02:38 AM »
I only care about what happens on the pitch. He can spout about whatever he wants, just win games Bruce.
I just have to disagree.A good manager will galvanize the players into a strong coherent force willing to run through brick walls for each other. I see very little evidence of that around Villa Park these days. A good manager also bonds with the supporters and unites the whole club leading them to success. I see little evidence of that either. If Steve Bruce thinks beating Rotherham at home buys him enough credits to make  childish comments about the Villa park faithful he is sadly mistaken. That's setting the bar alarmingly low if he thinks that's the case. He'd better carry on winning games or he will find himself on the end of a shitstorm of abuse for antagonizing the fans needlessly. He's like a big fucking baby if you ask me and I for one have had a belly full of his nonsense both on the pitch and off it.

I take your points but that's not quite what I meant. I don't care what he says, it is bollox most of the time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal