collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anwar El Ghazi - gone to PSV  (Read 214584 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Anwar El Ghazi - Gone to Everton on Loan
« Reply #1455 on: January 14, 2022, 01:21:16 AM »
Hark at us, loaning out our unwanted players to smaller teams going through a rough patch!

Indeed. Gerrard's got his work cut out with this bunch of softies.  Am I on MumsNet:P
#Andtheycalleditpuppylove
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 12:21:01 PM by Rudy Can't Fail »

Offline nordenvillain

« Reply #1456 on: January 14, 2022, 01:40:21 AM »
I don't mind El Ghazi but for me he's firmly a bottom 6 player so I have no idea why Everton are buying him. Yes they're currently shite but it's not very aspiring. I would be pretty annoyed if I were a toffee.

Taking a look at their forums.. they aren't thrilled and already writing him off.

Probably after reading this thread.

I like Everton, big well supported club, similar to us. Historically bigger than Chelsea, Man City or Spurs. He's not good enough for them.

Thanks for the play off final goal, but too selfish otherwise.

He never seemed to want to cross for someone else, he just wanted to shoot, shoot and shoot. Can't recall the game last season when we had something like 27 shots on goal, mostly from him off target, and still didn't win.
Burnley at home

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #1457 on: January 14, 2022, 01:56:42 AM »
I like Everton, big well supported club, similar to us. Historically bigger than Chelsea, Man City or Spurs. He's not good enough for them.

He never seemed to want to cross for someone else, he just wanted to shoot, shoot and shoot. Can't recall the game last season when we had something like 27 shots on goal, mostly from him off target, and still didn't win.

Never was that better demonstrated than at the end of the game the other night.  Twatted it into row Z, instead of looking up and squaring it to Ings.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #1458 on: January 14, 2022, 07:02:34 AM »
Hopefully at the end of this season he will get a permanent move to another club

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1459 on: January 14, 2022, 07:14:18 AM »
I don't mind El Ghazi but for me he's firmly a bottom 6 player so I have no idea why Everton are buying him. Yes they're currently shite but it's not very aspiring. I would be pretty annoyed if I were a toffee.

Taking a look at their forums.. they aren't thrilled and already writing him off.

Probably after reading this thread.

Burnley at home

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1460 on: January 14, 2022, 08:11:04 AM »
I said to a mate a while ago that the next stage of our development would be tricky because we'll probably have to seek upgrades on some popular players who have served us well during a time when the team has been likeable and restored plenty of pride. At the time, I thought McGinn might be in that number but he's stepped up a level. So it seems Anwar is the first to fall.

I don't think anyone needs to caveat good luck wishes with 'but it he wasn't good enough and we need to move on'. I think his record speaks for itself:

-Central role in the 10 game winning streak that got us to he play offs - he was one of our best players in that period
-Sacrificed his religious beliefs so he was in the best possible condition for the play off campaign
-Scored the opener in the play off final
-Scored some important goals in our first season back despite being in and out of the side
-Set up our goal in a Wembley cup final
-Reacted to being left out of the side for the first few months of last season by hitting an incredible run of form as we played some of the best football I've seen a Villa team play in years
-Scored some important goals last season, including winners at Leeds and Wolves and the equaliser at Chelsea
-Vindicated himself at Goodison last year after the ridiculously exaggerated criticism he got at the same ground the previous year

He also started this season well before being dropped when Smudger switched formation. He's been pretty unlucky, and clearly isn't Gerrard's sort of winger.

I really like Anwar and he's proved a snip at £8 million. He's more than paid back his transfer fee.
Spot on.

Offline Mouse Potato

« Reply #1461 on: January 14, 2022, 08:42:47 AM »
I said to a mate a while ago that the next stage of our development would be tricky because we'll probably have to seek upgrades on some popular players who have served us well during a time when the team has been likeable and restored plenty of pride. At the time, I thought McGinn might be in that number but he's stepped up a level. So it seems Anwar is the first to fall.

I don't think anyone needs to caveat good luck wishes with 'but it he wasn't good enough and we need to move on'. I think his record speaks for itself:

-Central role in the 10 game winning streak that got us to he play offs - he was one of our best players in that period
-Sacrificed his religious beliefs so he was in the best possible condition for the play off campaign
-Scored the opener in the play off final
-Scored some important goals in our first season back despite being in and out of the side
-Set up our goal in a Wembley cup final
-Reacted to being left out of the side for the first few months of last season by hitting an incredible run of form as we played some of the best football I've seen a Villa team play in years
-Scored some important goals last season, including winners at Leeds and Wolves and the equaliser at Chelsea
-Vindicated himself at Goodison last year after the ridiculously exaggerated criticism he got at the same ground the previous year

He also started this season well before being dropped when Smudger switched formation. He's been pretty unlucky, and clearly isn't Gerrard's sort of winger.

I really like Anwar and he's proved a snip at £8 million. He's more than paid back his transfer fee.

Very well said. I agree wholeheartedly with the 'caveat' comment, we all know the situation so I'm just going to wish the guy well and I'll keep an eye on his career, wherever it leads him.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #1462 on: January 14, 2022, 08:59:41 AM »
I sometimes think it gets forgotten by those criticising him for his propensity to shoot at every opportunity that if it wasn't for that propensity then we may not have scored that second goal in the play-off final.  If you don't buy a ticket and all that.  A player that deserves to leave with our gratitude.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1463 on: January 14, 2022, 09:17:49 AM »
I sometimes think it gets forgotten by those criticising him for his propensity to shoot at every opportunity that if it wasn't for that propensity then we may not have scored that second goal in the play-off final.  If you don't buy a ticket and all that.  A player that deserves to leave with our gratitude.

Except that wasn't a shot Dave, it was a header/shoulder effort from a great cross by Elmo. He didn't really have any other option in that instance.

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #1464 on: January 14, 2022, 09:31:03 AM »

Except that wasn't a shot Dave, it was a header/shoulder effort from a great cross by Elmo. He didn't really have any other option in that instance.

Dave is talking about McGinn's goal, which came from Anwar cutting inside and having a pop.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1465 on: January 14, 2022, 09:43:11 AM »
Come on Risso, be nice to Anwar, it won't hurt  ;)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1466 on: January 14, 2022, 09:46:58 AM »
Come on Risso, be nice to Anwar, it won't hurt  ;)

I already have! I think my views are similar to most on here. At £8m he's provided great value. A real eye for goal and an important part of our improvement, but just not consistent enough for where we want to be. He goes with my gratitude and I wish him well.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #1467 on: January 14, 2022, 09:53:19 AM »
He's been a very useful squad player and I wish him well because you need those types of players. At the very least he got us a goal and a point in our relegation threatened season that saved us from the drop. As a poor player/bad buy he doesn't even make the Villa top 50 of the last 5 years.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1468 on: January 14, 2022, 09:53:30 AM »
He's alright, he's a decent enough player, he just lacks a bit of consistency and it is hard to see how he will get that here with the squad options we now have.

To that end, hopefully he will get a chance for a run in the side at Everton (although from what I was reading on one of their forums yesterday, they're bewildered as they have plenty of options in his position already).

There is no reason to wish him anything but the best of luck.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1469 on: January 14, 2022, 09:57:45 AM »
Isn't it nice to be waving someone off with these sentiments? Rather than bemoaning their loss as another sign of lack of ambition, or cursing the day they ever walked through the door.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal